It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mean voice with pups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   
fairly new dog owner and I'm trying to understand these beautiful mutts. I work with them often. They come to my call, the stay and they'll hold for food. However there is one command i can get.

Sit and or lay down.

Well, unless I use the mean voice. Now I know how it sounds and no I don't beat my pups (2). However if I use the low, growly voice, they sit or lay down depending on the command.

I used positive reinforcement for all their training with good results...except this.

Any ideas?

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Do they know what you’re asking, with both commands? Do they perform the action every time you use the mean voice?

ETA: reading again, you said one command, sit and/or lay down. That might be your problem- that’s two completely different action you want performed. Sit is totally different than lay down. Expound further?
edit on 3-10-2020 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Yes, they know the command but only listen to it if I lower my voice and put some growl behind it.

Eta...yes, they know the difference between sit and lay down. They will usually sit when told normally.
edit on 3-10-2020 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   

don't use the mean voice.
Only ask once and wait for them to do it. If they don't, gently push them down and show them.
Use little treats to reinforce.

Some breeds are a lot quicker to get these things than others.
I have a poodle and pretty sure she is sharper than most adults.
We are convinced she has a uncanny grasp on the English language.
We can't even spell things out anymore because she understand that too.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Only ask once and wait for them to do it. If they don't, gently push them down and show them.

My best friend had a wheaten terrier like that! He was so freaking smart. We couldn’t spell things out, he would catch on. His emotional intelligence, too- he would get embarrassed! Once he slipped around on some hardwood floor trying to get up, and it was funny, and we laughed. He slinked over to a big chair and stayed there behind it the rest of the night. He lived to be 18.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Yes, they know the command but only listen to it if I lower my voice and put some growl behind it.

Eta...yes, they know the difference between sit and lay down. They will usually sit when told normally.

Huh. Are they puppies? How old, how long have you had them, and what breed? If they are mixed breed, what’s the dominant one, looks-wise?

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I am a Collie dog type of guy , i use a click of a finger and point they just get it and as you state a deep voice normally wins them over if they are a intelligent dog a whistle will do it or a stare as dogs will react to a facial expression imho

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   

They are about 9 months, had them 6 to 7. One male, one female. Sibling pit and German shepherd mix but look almost like Rottweiler lol.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I was shocked years ago to learn that a poodle was the most intelligent type of dog wtf , it was above a collie in the rankings
we had one when i was a kid on the farm

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The growly voice thing may be a dog thing.

I don't know dogs but I do know that cats respond better to their names if you end them with an /ee/ sound. It's some sort of natural cat thing.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

I was shocked years ago to learn that a poodle was the most intelligent type of dog wtf

Went to a dog show at the fair, I knew right away what dog would win. The poodle of course, it wasn't even
close.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

That piece of info really shocked me as i had never considered a poodle a intelligent mutt , i have never seen one use a tin opener before but my collie would open the cupboard for its food when i was in police custody back in the day
he would get on a train or bus by himself to where he wanted to go ikyn

That same dog could smell cancer in people and could sniff out a wrong un , i was just a bit slow back then noticing it , my mothers Jack Russel annoying twat it is can notice when she is going to be ill

There is a reason i called my mutt MUTTLEY

edit on 3/10/2020 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/10/2020 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I have two black chihuahuas with white bellies; they literally look like tasmanian devils with the exact same coats.

They're the most intelligent out of small breeds. They have the largest brains at least but this isn't necessarily a good thing. They do play fakes, barking and doing a howling song routine they have where they combine into a rhythm at the front door as if someone's there, except they know that there isn't. The objective is to get me to open the door so they can see outside, maybe go out. They were raised with a fenced in yard and allowed to play for hours outside growing up, little savages they are. They've caught birds and mice, they eat insects. One will jump up on her hind legs to eat a fly if it flies low enough.

They're rarely allowed to go out anymore because they have to be watched the entire time. They used their intelligence to scan the perimeters and find dips under the fence and weak points that can be dug under to get out in the street and beyond. Then, you have to chase them down the street because they go after people and cats. They wont attack, they just like to run up and scare people.
edit on 3-10-2020 by quix0tic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

I was shocked years ago to learn that a poodle was the most intelligent type of dog wtf , it was above a collie in the rankings
we had one when i was a kid on the farm

I've got a little mixed-breed, runt of the litter dog. She's one of the sweetest and smartest dogs I've ever had. I never tried to train her, she trained me. It just made more sense, she's smarter than I am. She can get my attention and give me a look, and I know whether she needs to go out, or it's dinner time, or she wants a treat, whatever. It's like mental telepathy.

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I got a runt of the litter collie and he was the same smart as hell and exactly the same he trained himself , And he loved cartoons on television
he would sit for hours watching cartoons on the box .

I got a rescue dog in December last year he has a great nature but is stupid with a capital S he would walk in front of a car if he was not on the lead this is a new one for me as i have never needed a lead on a dog i owned before but let him near water and he thinks he is a dolphin

posted on Oct, 4 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

They are about 9 months, had them 6 to 7. One male, one female. Sibling pit and German shepherd mix but look almost like Rottweiler lol.

Ok so not "future Darwin Award Candidates".
Check out Cesar Milan's "dog whisperer stuff". It not only works on dogs, but kids and co-workers.
Google episodes applicable to your situation.

Dogs should take your lead on things because they respect you, not for treats. Had a Wheaten/pit bull mix, 90lbs of psycho cause no one had ever worked with him. Looked like a big fluffy carnival prize. Took me FOREVER to convince him I actually knew what I was doing, was at least as smart as he was but also that I was a million times more stubborn than him. Gotta love those Terriers!!!

After a year of grinding 'Cesar Milan" PLUS the above he only responded to hand signals,(my choice) waited for me to indicate he had a "job" to do and did it but yeah....Wheaties embarrass easy. They're sensitive. Got him groomed, primped with his nails painted a tasteful Navy, Scottish tartan ear ribbons an my son laughed at him. He hid for about two days an ripped out his own ribbons. Dammit!!! Oh the job he picked for himself was he would indicate someone was hazardous by quietly placing himself between us an whoever. Just would mosey over quietly an do a body-block by sitting facing the bad person.

That dog was NEVER wrong.
He made it to 14 an his ashes will be mixed with mine.

new topics

top topics

join