It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. has no authority to continue state of emergency, Michigan Supreme Court rules

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Nyiah

This will not make many of those who are unemployed happy. Without a state of emergency, the governor can withhold unemployment benefits from certain groups of people, namely the self-employed.

But woth the lockdown ruled unconstitutional there, they can go back to work...

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Back to work ? What Jobs are left ?
This has going way top afr way to long NO state will make any real recovery while the stocks go up any poster cheer how great things are .
OUt here in AZ Tucson things are GRIM very very GRIM .
As 1000 s are on the verge of homeless as evections restart .
MILLIONS country's wide in another month the homeless rates will sky rocket 5 million the LOW number .

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Also, think about all the county executives and mayors that are going to have a dose of reality. Now if we could just get a court to say that the media is not allowed to publish skewed data to spread fear on the population that believes them.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
This has going way top afr way to long NO state will make any real recovery while the stocks go up any poster cheer how great things are .
MILLIONS country's wide in another month the homeless rates will sky rocket 5 million the LOW number .

No offense, but had these governors not been allowed to pull this garbage your fellow citizens would not be in a dire situation. Also, at least where I am, jobs are coming back like gangbusters. Maybe some of your suffering citizens should move here? We'd be glad to take them as long as they aren't SJW/Commie/DNC brainwashed locust.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Been waiting all year to meet with probate

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Can't mitigate the disaster the last 6 months though.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Not before she shoved the UP into stage four again.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   
She already destroyed half of the small businesses up here, they will not recover, they will be paying for this governors actions for years. Many of those small businesses worked hard to get so they were finally paid off or almost paid off and they wound up with loans again and are no where near able to pay on them. I see a big percent of the businesses failing this winter, there will be nothing up here anymore. A restaurant cannot survive long with ten customers max in it, they would have to triple their prices. Lots of the best restaurants, small locally owned ones, are not doing very good and will not make it through a covid winter. Same with the Bars, most are going to go belly up.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Are your bars even open?
They are still closed in the lower part of the state.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

That is insane.
Do they just keep postponing?

Some good news.
You usually have to go in to the Sec of State every 8 years for a new picture on your license.
Well, they just renewed ours for another four years online.
No one likes having to go in!!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This is huge news for us all! I’m really happy for you guys!

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: JinMI

That is insane.
Do they just keep postponing?

Some good news.
You usually have to go in to the Sec of State every 8 years for a new picture on your license.
Well, they just renewed ours for another four years online.
No one likes having to go in!!!!

A fine example of how efficient the government operates.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Are your bars even open?
They are still closed in the lower part of the state.

They were, but with only a few people allowed in them because of social distancing, so many did not open because it would cost more to open than they would make in a day. Some of the bars that were debt free will survive for a while longer, but lots will go bust if they do not serve food too. The ones with food are now doing takeout here, but the others are struggling, the wages of the bartender gobbles up the profits from the drinks they serve in an hour. Most bars only make it because of bands or big crowds on the weekend nights and the pool tourneys. Deer hunting and hunters widows help the bars stay afloat during the season the bars are packed. In Negaunee pioneer days is the biggest money makers for the bars, that week is critical in bars survival. We did not have pioneer week this year.

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I remember going across the UP some years ago, going across Highway 2.
What I remember was this was not a prosperous area.
Even back then you'd see liquor stores closed, boarded up. We remember thinking how impoverished an area had to be that could not support liquor stores.

Sounds like the UP is heading back in that direction.

Thanks a whole hell of a lot, Gretch...

posted on Oct, 2 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I remember going across the UP some years ago, going across Highway 2.
What I remember was this was not a prosperous area.
Even back then you'd see liquor stores closed, boarded up. We remember thinking how impoverished an area had to be that could not support liquor stores.

Sounds like the UP is heading back in that direction.

Thanks a whole hell of a lot, Gretch...

We now have small farms popping up all over and people are starting gardens to grow fresh produce. They have approved growing chickens again in some towns for eggs because so many people like to grow stuff for society and to reduce our dependence on Factory farms. It is like stepping back into the sixties but with one good plus, many people at the farmers markets are selling fresh chemical free foods.

I grew up on a farm, I like farming but am too worn out to do much anymore, I worked construction for too many years, my back sucks....I will not take pain pills, I will not get back surgery. I will go to the chiropactor when I need to but have told him I only go when necessary. I also like to fish, many older guys do. I taught my granddaughter how to fish, and my youngest daughter. But they never have time anymore, but they know they can go fishing to get fresh fish if needed. I also took my granddaughter with me to clean turkeys at a friends farm. She did good at plucking the birds and washing them. She could clean a partridge or Chicken but cannot kill it. She does not like to take the life of an animal.

I buy a half a cow every year from some people we know, there are a lot of people who now see this as a necessary, they turned down twenty buyers of a half a cow this year with covid. Their beef is grass fed organic and it is really good. We have three upright freezers for food, Half of our half cow is given to the kids and my brother and a couple of friends for Christmas. It is a great Christmas present, it always gets used. Now there are many more small farmers growing cattle up here since last year....to supply their friends and family with good food at a reasonable price. We could use another butcher shop here, maybe one will start and the UP could get more self sufficient. I hate Amazon, except if you need something you cannot find here. I will pay more here and do with less just so I can support our own people here. I wish more people would think like me, our stores could survive better and they could sell cheaper because the more they sell, the less their overhead is transferred to each item they sell.

The governor screwed all of Michigan, keeping the lower peninsula restricted caused lots of people to come up here and now we have more cases of Covid, but actually deaths are not too high and serious cases are reasonable. I was afraid our hospitals were going to go bankrupt with the lockdown, they have high expenses and their income was severely reduced because of Covid....if they collapse, we are in major dodo. If our economy collapses, so do the hospitals and doctors. Doctors still had expenses but lost half their income....they are suffering too.

The people who think that this covid19 is more important than the economy are mistaken, we need both, if the economy collapses so does healthcare.....then it gets real bad if there are no doctors and hospitals.

The left seems to be delusional, all the parts of the puzzle need to be in place to see the whole picture.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar

There are signs in many of the businesses around here begging for people. It took six months to get my car into WalMart to check the balance on tires I bought there last winter because of Covid shutting down the auto dept. initially, then most of the department workers quit to go on unemployment with the additional fed money. SIX MONTHS! I checked on and off during the spring and summer but after repeatedly being told "we can't get you in" I finally called corporate last week and gave them a piece of my mind.

The next day I got a call from the store manager telling me they will get me in anytime I want, just name the time. I said 4pm and I'll be there. I got there at 3:55pm and the clerk said "you're on the schedule for 5pm". After a few minutes of back and forth telling her the manager (and the name) told me 4pm on the phone. Why would I show up at 4pm if I had to wait until 5pm to get in? Here's the kicker - only one person was there with a car in the shop, no one was waiting, Six empty bays and three workers standing there watching. Just get my car in and take care of it. Please. She checked with someone, probably the dept. manager that told me 4pm was ok, came back and wrote me in. Thank you. Car was back on the road in a half hour. No more shaking at 60mph like it's been doing for six months.

Why did I tell that story? To demonstrate that it's not just an issue with people being out of work, it's WHY and it's also that there are many incompetent workers on some jobs now. There are businesses here in the state BEGGING for good workers but they can't pay enough until they regain some of the capital they lost during this ridiculous shutdown. I truly wish Whitmer could be held personally responsible for the financial losses she forced on small businesses. Mom & pop shops that had to close due to her illegal and off-base orders. They would have done so much better had common sense and normal protection from bugs been done like other states have done. A full lockdown like she did to us will take years to recover from.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I hate Amazon, except if you need something you cannot find here. I will pay more here and do with less just so I can support our own people here. I wish more people would think like me, our stores could survive better and they could sell cheaper because the more they sell, the less their overhead is transferred to each item they sell.

I agree with most of that, however I will buy from Amazon instead of the large chain stores because aside from the people that work there locally, I don't care if the WalMarts and Menards stay in business or not. I'd rather go back to the mom & pop shops where those same people had jobs before. But in our area there aren't anymore local stores save for a Dollar General and the gas stations. We have to travel to get everyday items so some of that is what it is. Thirty years ago we had a fantastic hardware store, two grocery stores with real butchers and two car dealerships. Unfortunately the corporations said they were putting those businesses in the nearby town and it was up to the local owners if they want to move or be put out of business. They moved.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Good! GOOD!

Witless has done nothing but overreach, rule by fiat and grant herself/family/friends exemptions.

We all know how serious these types are about this stuff (not serious at all)

To them its just a way to control folks, a way to save face and a way to seem as if they are doing "something anything" in the face of an unbeatable adversary.

People are funny that way, they have a real problem accepting the inevitable. Hell there are some who are apparently convinced *they* will never die?

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I hope citizen's in other states use this ruling to get their shutdowns overruled before more damage is done to our economy.

posted on Oct, 3 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
But woth the lockdown ruled unconstitutional there, they can go back to work...

If the work is still there or has work for them to do, many places are gone for good.

edit on 3-10-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join