It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyclist suspended from team because of a one word tweet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Yes, but it's a very sad day indeed when simply implying that you are voting for one the presidential candidates is so controversial that you get suspended from your cycling team for it, and really, that's all he did. He didn't even name Trump by name. He posted an American flag. The journo's Tweets were far more divisive than his in saying that if anyone thought a certain way, they could basically shove off.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Root cause is Twitter. People should think twice about having that piece of # on their phone, along with facebook and instagram... You trip up and say something that the self righteous people who monitor them 24/7 are just waiting to discover, and you allow them to take you down.
edit on 1-10-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Root cause is Twitter. People should think twice about having that piece of # on their phone, along with facebook and instagram... Your trip up and say something that the self righteous people who monitor them 24/7 are just waiting to discover, and you allow them take you down.

When people use those social media platforms they are engaging with the least common denominator and shouldn't be surprised when that massive segment of the population comes back and bites them in the ass.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, but it's a very sad day indeed when simply implying that you are voting for one the presidential candidates is so controversial that you get suspended from your cycling team for it, and really, that's all he did. He didn't even name Trump by name. He posted an American flag. The journo's Tweets were far more divisive than his in saying that if anyone thought a certain way, they could basically shove off.

Sure, but she isn't sponsored by companies with all sorts of affiliations who don't want to support this or that political party, or a huge list of things.

This isn't political. It's corporate sponsorship related. He can still support whoever he wants, he probably just can't talk to the media about it. Allnof these corporate sponsors have teams of PR scouring sponsored peoples social media accounts for contract violations.

If he wanted to speak freely on social media, then he shouldn't have (probably) signed a PR clause in his contract with the cycling team.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   

At some point, people have to have their own personal space. Just because you are a part of a cycling team that has sponsorships does not mean they own you 24/7 and can dictate what you say all the time.

"Hi, you want to cycle with us? You become our slave."

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Social media isn't a right. He has a huge personal space with his friends and family and teammates to say whatever he wants. He can literally say anything he wants, and just decide not to sign contracts that deprive him of aspects social media use.

People are making this into a huge political thing, and it's just not.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I live in an uber liberal town. The one thing I've learned is that once you trigger the leftist mob, there is no escaping their wrath. I know for fact there are a lot of under cover conservatives in the town.

My house would be vandalized and business would be ruined if I put a MAGA sign in my yard.

A few blocks painted BLM murals on their streets - no permits or anything. I don't mind. Looks nice and quirky even if I disagree with the premise and group. However, if I did some patriotic MAGA mural, I guarantee city crews would be out in 5 minutes to remove and neighbors would have a sh*tfit.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Social media isn't a right. He has a huge personal space with his friends and family and teammates to say whatever he wants. He can literally say anything he wants, and just decide not to sign contracts that deprive him of aspects social media use.

People are making this into a huge political thing, and it's just not.

No. If he was suspended for being divisive, then I'll bet he can't say whatever he wants to his teammates. Don't you think those remarks would be equally divisive to them?

If he makes even one of them feel bad because of his politics, he's being divisive which was the grounds of his suspension, not his social media use.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: KansasGirl
Aug was just gently correcting my thick morning brain.

Morning? It's 11:45AM, I want your sleep cycle.

No, you don’t- my main man, who has been my self-appointed bodyguard for 15 years, has kidney failure. 😰 I got to have him home last night, and I was awake all night making sure he got all the water and potty breaks he needed, and then took him back to the vet early this morning. I slept for about an hour after that.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: KansasGirl

It's not so much about the cyclist being blocked on Twitter or anything.

He apparently got suspended from his cycling team for Tweeting that?

He was NOT suspended from Twitter

He was basically kicked out of his job, out of his work, which was on a cycling team.
He was suspended from his job.

I'm glad you were able to read the first line of the OP correctly. That is why I added another sentence in an edit for people who are not like you and don't comprehend what they read.

Jeez, sorry, Billie. I added an edit to my reply to you to let you know I had #ked it up in my head. I don’t always read as carefully as I should, and will admit it when it happens, but I had a good reason this morning. See my reply to Aug.

Sorry I fu#ed up, jeez. I’m on your damn side here.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Join a red, white and blue-blooded American team and stop taking foreign money. Problem solved. You're welcome.

He still rides for a different country than Netherlands...lol

Most likely be worst if he rode for a US team.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
He still rides for a different country than Netherlands...lol

Either way, this isn't a US issue, it's him riding for some European team.

link   
That's cheating mate.

Apparently a rider from his team got third place in this years Tour also. An Aussie.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

link   

Have you ever been around a sports team? There's nothing they aren't saying outside the public eye.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
No, you don’t- my main man, who has been my self-appointed bodyguard for 15 years, has kidney failure. 😰 I got to have him home last night, and I was awake all night making sure he got all the water and potty breaks he needed, and then took him back to the vet early this morning. I slept for about an hour after that.

Check your PM's since the stupid icon hasn't worked in like 3 years.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Not surprising.

You can be banned from Reddit now for a SINGLE LETTER post.

Seriously.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
That's cheating mate.

Worked for Lance Armstrong.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Is the cyclist back-pedaling his comment?

Sorry. It was just hanging out there.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Dude, that pun, you're a total cycle-path.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Dude, that pun, you're a total cycle-path.

Rally nice of you to say.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join