It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really? Do lawyers deserve this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Ok.. I've been quiet for a while but i have to ask your thoughts.

Typically from what I've been aclimated to is that lawyers get a huge chunk of whatever case is settled. Recently i've had a friends son involved in an accident and the lawyer received more than the son..

Skip to the Mandalay incident now for reference on CNN cnn mandalay 800 mil judgement

As i understand it thus far, lawyers approximately receive 20% of whatever is awarded to a plaintiff/s .. if so lets do the math.

4000 plaintiffs.. 800 mil = 200,000 per if awarded without lawyer fees

Now lets look at the 20% fee first from 800.000,000 = 160 mil

800 - 160 mil = 640mil

What's left is 640mil / 4000 people = 160thou per person

Soo.. a team of lawyers which probably = less than 10 receives 16mil a piece if distribution were =

Wtf.. even if the team was 20 or 30... The victims are being screwed.

160000000/10 = 16mil
/20 = 8mil
/30 = 5.3 mil
Etc

b

edit on 30-9-2020 by Bspiracy because: Added div sign

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Why should the hotel have to pay for this? I have never had a Hotel check my bags to see what is in them. In fact, I would be offended if they did even though I never take anything other than clothes and maybe cookies in my bags when I stay there. Is it going to be that you need to go through a metal detector to go anywhere in the future? Get x-rayed to go into the store? Sounds good for Amazon anyway, I should think about investing in that kind of thing...or maybe just get a cow or two and a few pigs and grow my own huge garden.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Because corporations are evil.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bspiracy
They do even better in Government

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 09:15 PM
link   

How else do you expect them to pay for their big mansions....cars.....boats...etc....you don't actually expect them to work for a living. Jeez mate you're attitude is the most utterly callous and and selfish I've read in a while.

/sarc

edit on 30 9 2020 by myselfaswell because: because I felt like it, mkay

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I'm not singling out Mandalay as a cultural example. I'm using the judgement as an example regarding lawyer fees

Don't twist this

B

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   
So on the hotel note, I carry concealed and often travel with additional long and handguns as I shoot amateur competitions.

I check in 2-3×/month with firearms and ammo as is my right...why would the hotel, or any business be culpable for anything I or any other guest did with a firearm?

If a drunk driver hit somebody, would the hotel be responsible because he checked in with a bag full of booze?

Anyway..I agree with ya😉

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Most legislators are lawyers. They realize that elected positions can be temporary and they may have to go back to their law practice, so they naturally they are going to pass laws that favorable for lawyers in private practice.

Imagine if most legislators were, say, school teachers.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It's hush money.
They are part of the BAR. The British Accredited Registry.

They work for a British Corporation called the United States which is registered in British Columbia.

This is why we have to have a President, a Vice President, and a Secretary of Treasury. This is required by law for every corporation.
We are slaves to the British still.
Taxation is theft.

Buy bitcoin.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bspiracy
Ok.. I've been quiet for a while but i have to ask your thoughts.

Typically from what I've been aclimated to is that lawyers get a huge chunk of whatever case is settled. Recently i've had a friends son involved in an accident and the lawyer received more than the son..

Skip to the Mandalay incident now for reference on CNN cnn mandalay 800 mil judgement

As i understand it thus far, lawyers approximately receive 20% of whatever is awarded to a plaintiff/s .. if so lets do the math.

4000 plaintiffs.. 800 mil = 200,000 per if awarded without lawyer fees

Now lets look at the 20% fee first from 800.000,000 = 160 mil

800 - 160 mil = 640mil

What's left is 640mil / 4000 people = 160thou per person

Soo.. a team of lawyers which probably = less than 10 receives 16mil a piece if distribution were =

Wtf.. even if the team was 20 or 30... The victims are being screwed.

160000000/10 = 16mil
/20 = 8mil
/30 = 5.3 mil
Etc

b

The thinking is that these types of lawyers work on contingency basis which allows people who might not otherwise pursued a legal judgment the opportunity to do so. The lawyers take the risk and expense of filing the lawsuit and are only compensated if they win.

When you work on contingency, you make more than if you are paid a salary or on "best efforts" even if you fail. Also, some of the suits can take years.

There is abuse though with frivolous suits that bring absurd payouts that mainly are to enrich the lawyers, not the actual plaintiffs.

I know it has been said that we should adopt a loser pays system to discourage people from filing suits with no skin in the game.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Money talks. Anyway, this always reminds me to tell anyone that HATES cops that their hate is misplaced. They need to hate whoever passed the stupid laws the cops have to enforce.

The only anti-cop thoughts I have is that some of them probably know they are breaking the constitution of this country and do not care.

So this is for every nation on earth. Stop electing lawyers to office. All they know to do is make more laws.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 05:44 AM
link   

That isn't a 'judgement', which is the result of a judge or jury awarding an amount after guilt has been determined in a trial, that's a settlement which means the Mandaly ownership group deciding to let their insurance company cover 80% of the money paid out.

posted on Oct, 1 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Recently settled a malpractice suit. Lawyers got 40% PLUS expenses. Settled for the "first & final offer" which meant the lawyers had NO work to do other than file the pleadings. Lawyers are scum.

ganjoa

new topics

top topics

join