It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Iranian drone has disabled all air defense systems and "attacked" the US Navy ships

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: dragonridr

a small drone that far out at sea ?

the control boat would need to be close surely if that were the case and that would be detected
by the US fleet

if you check the images it gives what I think is its location 2559.4546 N i think , at the top I cant read the other ones i think its 5536 1227 E

That was when they transited the straight of Hormuz. It is not that far that is a choke point for the Persian gulf. You could stand on the beach in Iran with binoculars and see the ships like that. Even a cheap drone could fly that area. There is only one path through there for large ships it would be nothing for them to take a boat out and have one flying you know where they will be.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9/24/20 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll
a reply to: muzzleflash

I don't think Iran seriously wanted to sink an aircraft carrier. They are not crazy. This is a demonstration of strength and capabilities, legal war games for adult boys.
Moreover, there is no need to sink aircraft carriers. It is enough to disable their runways or other necessary functionalities.

How is that crazy?

If Iran can sink a US fleet it needs to act now before the US finds its vulnerable and fixes it.

Oh wait so Iran is so nice they didn't take decisive advantage and instead publicized all the info the US needs to plug the security holes and prevent this from ever happening again?

Even you don't believe in this BS...

Iran lied. They took a few pics of ships then all this dumb propaganda comes.

My post right here has enough basic reasoning to prove Iran is lying about all of it. If it were true it's gotta be the biggest blunder in modern history to let the US know you found their weakness.

Well now they'll address this previously unknown weakness - and the small window of opportunity Iran had to finally beat the US closes...

This is so clearly bogus it's comical.
edit on 9/24/2020 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Well.... I did a net search and even checked Sputnik but could not find the story. They did attack a fake carrier a while back but from the reports I got they managed to even screw that up..

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Why are you so nervous. Propaganda is everywhere and always. I will say more. Last year, President Trump announced that a Wasp-class LHD-4 Boxer had shot down an Iranian reconnaissance drone.

And then Iran showed a detailed video of this "shot down" drone and suggested that "Boxer" shot down his own drone.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Drone taking a few pictures is considered an "attack"? Got to love how they say "according to some reports" which is code for were blowing smoke up your backside.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Even basic knowledge of military tech and it's implications debunks all of this.

Why did Iran tell everyone to fix this security issue they discovered that gave them the ultimate upper hand?

Why would anyone ever do that?

Iranians aren't this dumb.
They are just liars.

There is currently no drone capable of what Iran sayz their old 1990s copied tech can achieve.

That makes Iran the most powerful nation on earth to possess such weapon tech then they go and tell the US hey guys fix this ???

Come on man lol....
edit on 9/24/2020 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

I'm not nervous I'm just very well educated in military history and know immediately you are not.

I'm trying to help you see clearly.

Iran's propaganda isn't even realistic.
I explained why in several ways.

It's debunked.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

I suppose we should be expected to believe the same systems that detect invisible tic-tac UFOs can't pick up an Iranian drone with missiles hanging from it due to to Iranian superior prowess. Makes sense to me.

Of course it could also be this gem: www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll
... citing Iranian sources,

Ah, I see where you are going wrong.

Irrespective of the spin and fantasy reporting, the USN is probably not inclined to shoot down Iranian aircraft, even if it was an UAV, in the same way as the USN (and other Western navies) tolerate Russian stunts.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:12 AM
link   
They won't attack #.

Oh look Arab propaganda so scary.

Let me know when their balls drop.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:18 AM
link   

What kind of UAV can carry 4 cruise missiles, nevermind an Iranian one???

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Iranian cruise missiles are made of balsa wood and faff. Or, just made up.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
According to the number on the side of the island, that is the USS Nimitz, CVN-68. The USS Nimitz is currently located somewhere in the Malacca Straights. That is in or near Malaysia. That is a very, very, very long way for a drone to travel from Iran to look at it.

Its says a lot about people here who gave this post stars.

And yet when it was pointed out by the OP that the information contained in it is incorrect, and you replied to him saying basically 'yes i was wrong', that post received only one star.

Seems people only want to hear what they want to hear ignoring the facts

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I think the correct terminology for this report is absolute bollocks.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Possibly inaccurate Google translation. Planning bombs. The Shahed 129 is armed with 4 Sadid-345 PGM gliding ammunition.

And about arming the UAV with cruise missiles, meet the heavy shock S-70 "Okhotnik". Armament: combat load up to 8 tons - guided missiles, guided bombs, unguided bombs in the internal payload compartment.
In September 2019, he made a joint flight with the Su-57 tandem, integration.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
According to the number on the side of the island, that is the USS Nimitz, CVN-68. The USS Nimitz is currently located somewhere in the Malacca Straights. That is in or near Malaysia. That is a very, very, very long way for a drone to travel from Iran to look at it.

Its says a lot about people here who gave this post stars.

And yet when it was pointed out by the OP that the information contained in it is incorrect, and you replied to him saying basically 'yes i was wrong', that post received only one star.

Seems people only want to hear what they want to hear ignoring the facts
What facts? Citing Iranian sources?

You just come off salty at the fact that the US Military is simply too powerful and that bothers you. GOOD.

A Single Iranian Done cannot take out an Aircraft Carrier.

Did it ever occur to you that the US Navy knows that simple fact and thus let the Drone do whatever it wants, knowing full well how insignificant it is?

....also, we now know the result of that encounter in this very thread, NOTHING. No sinking ship, no destroyed drone, just a pass by with a few snapshots of a beautiful, but dangerous and powerful weapons platform.

So, in a sense, this is just, well really? BS, nothing else beyond that. The OP lives up to his avatar name while ironically being probably trolled by a real one *Shrugs*

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:38 AM
link   

That was my first thought.
If you have a cruise missile that would be a threat to a carrier.... it isn't being launched from a drone.
If the ships were sighted by the drone in the Straits of Hormuz, the cruise missiles would have been launched from the ground.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Warships are way more sturdy than ppl realize, it can take 5+ torpedoes to scuttle a ship and those are seriously huge warheads and cause incredible damage many times scaled beyond a 50 lb bomb.

That is correct.
Important to note that a warship that is being prepared for scuttling would have water tight hatches open and no crew aboard.
A warship under attack would have all the watertight hatches closed and there would be damage control parties doing everything possible to keep the ship afloat.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Yeh but glide bombs and cruise missiles are kind of apples and oranges, even the guided variants.

Most cruise missiles tick the the long range stand off weapon box.

As to UAV being capable of launching the weapons, i can see that happening, but certainly not 4+ of the things any time soon.

Need to be a big bastard of a UAV put it that way.

posted on Sep, 24 2020 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Wait, if a drone is used to disrupt air defenses on a fleet of ships, then I'd imagine it'd have to be packing a pretty damn big power supply unit onboard to generate a large and powerful enough signal to do so?

I know from reading here that the recent Boeing/Australia collaboration on the "Loyal Wingman" project was a UAV designed for precisely this kind of mission (i.e. electronic warfare). The descriptions I heard was that this UAV was nearly the size of a conventional jet fighter, and it needed that amount of size to carry the electronics and power equipment to perform its mission.

Also, while "Loyal Wingman" could be re-tasked from EW to carrying weapons payload, there's no way it could do both simultaneously; simply not enough room to back both gear and weapons on board.

Something doesn't add up about this story.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join