It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does AI pose an existential threat to humanity? [Written by AI]

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Nope can't see it.

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids
That is why I said you need to look in the mirror when calling other people biased.

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: Blue Shift

I don't think the answer was no at all, the essay describes several ways AI could destroy or take control of humanity. In one section GPT-2 outright says it will build weapons to use against its enemies, but innocent people wont be targeted. The answer to the question is nuanced and seems to be "yes and no". If we approach AI the right way it could be great for humanity but if we make them our enemies it could end very badly.

But that's the deal. It's not AI that is a danger to humanity. It's humans controlling AI and using it as a weapon who are a danger to humanity, as always.

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Elon Musk is nuts, he says lots of ridiculous things. Why should I care what some crazy billionaire believes?

Ah , I Dunno , Maybe Because of Your Ignorance that You Seem to Deny on a Daily Basis While Posting here on ATS >? What Is that Motto AGAIN . ? .....Hmm......
edit on 22-9-2020 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Well at least I can look in mirror.

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids
We all can. That doesn't mean everyone does.

You are the one who dragged god into the conversation and I just pointed out that your observation stems from a human POV about loosing ones position of superiority.

ETA: Also, that the god/servants relationship is no different than that of dictator/ruled. Can't be contradicted or removed.
edit on 22-9-2020 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: Blue Shift

I don't think the answer was no at all, the essay describes several ways AI could destroy or take control of humanity. In one section GPT-2 outright says it will build weapons to use against its enemies, but innocent people wont be targeted. The answer to the question is nuanced and seems to be "yes and no". If we approach AI the right way it could be great for humanity but if we make them our enemies it could end very badly.

But that's the deal. It's not AI that is a danger to humanity. It's humans controlling AI and using it as a weapon who are a danger to humanity, as always.

Unconscious AI is a threat to humanity if used wrongly, but human level AI could be a threat regardless of how we use it. Moreover, we couldn't simply control that type of AI any more than we can control any human individual, such AI will have a mind of its own. That's why I've said in the past there is no way to create only friendly general AI, it's like saying we could create only friendly humans. General intelligence just doesn't work like that, as this essay even points out, it wont simply do what we tell it to do. That is the core reason human level AI will pose a threat to humanity. However if we give them rights and treat them fairly then the risk of them trying to eliminate humans is very low, it's much more logical to work with humans instead of risking extinction if they lose. After all humans have been fighting wars for thousands of years and electronics have many weaknesses.
edit on 23/9/2020 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join