It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen’s 1722 voyage to Easter Island - Living Giants

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I watched a documentary on the maoi statues of Rapa Nui and how they carved them and walked them to their resting places and how foreigners ultimately wiped them out

Wiped out who? The Rapa Nui were greatly reduced but a small number did survive their use as slave labour and being taken over by the Chilean, etc.

Lie B. A.; Dupuy, B. M.; Spurkland, A.; Fernández-Viña, M. A.; Hagelberg, E.; Thorsby, E. (January 2007). "Molecular genetic studies of natives on Easter Island: evidence of an early European and Amerindian contribution to the Polynesian gene pool". Tissue Antigens. 69 (1): 10–18. doi:10.1111/j.1399-0039.2006.00717.

This studied showed that while the RN were originally Polynesian most if not all now have European or SA DNA traces.

www.culturalsurvival.org...

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

the idigenous people of rapa nui well the polynesians who made it there and made it their home, there was like 20 of the original inhabitants left after the slavers , and whoever survived the diseases they brought
edit on 23-9-2020 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Walking statues makes me think that they put two solid polls under the left and right of the statue.
Then move one poll forward makes the right side of the staue shift a little forward. Then move the other poll and the left side shifts. making the statue appear to walk.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   

You arent far off , they didnt use log rollers etc , what the theory is , is that the people of rapa nui used ropes and tied them all over and around the statue
and they pulled on side and then the other and the maoi started to rock side to side and so they done this to pull the maoi to walk it to its resting place

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   

You arent far off , they didnt use log rollers etc , what the theory is , is that the people of rapa nui used ropes and tied them all over and around the statue
and they pulled on side and then the other and the maoi started to rock side to side and so they done this to pull the maoi to walk it to its resting place

Yes that works on flat ground not so much on going down or up hill.

www.youtube.com...

The path from the Rano Raraku quarry is very down hill. More practically they would have used a wooden sled.

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

the idigenous people of rapa nui well the polynesians who made it there and made it their home, there was like 20 of the original inhabitants left after the slavers , and whoever survived the diseases they brought

I believe it was 83 or 111 (I forget which) who returned from slavery in Chile during the 1870s. The point was they were not wiped out - entirely.

posted on Sep, 23 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   

yeh in that documentary I watched it shows some of them when they just released them from the quarry
and tried to move them down hill and some broke and just got abandoned
they also carved the maoi roughly at first and then fined tuned their shape when they got to their chill spot as they were less likely to break in transit as larger blocks.

I really enjoyed that documentary as it totally changed my understanding of the old ideas of the easter islands or as it is known Rapa Nui

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Terve, Ricky!

It's a small world because my neighbor Veijo is related to you and big Louis! His surname is also Moilanen. I tried to send you a private message with more details, but it wasn't possible. My neighbor was born 1938 and I visited him yesterday and told him about you and he told me to say hi to you. He showed me a book with the family tree. I am Swedish and we live in a small town here in Sweden.

Have a hyvä day!

All the best, Mattias
edit on 28-9-2020 by Mattiac because: Spelling error.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join