Love us some beans, so decided to whip up a batch. Makin' a batch of my famous beans with chicken.
Recipe goes pretty much as follows...
This is a cast iron dutch oven recipe...the only way.
- Soak the beans (pintos in this case) min. 3 hrs or overnight, then dump, rinse and rinse again.
- Toss in a medium chopped white onion, or a couple small ones, diced.
- (5) Strips of smoked, thick cut bacon.
- (2) Bay leaves
- (5) Cloves garlic
- (1) small can of Hatch chilies (hot to mild, your choice)
- 1 Tbsp of kosher salt
- 2 Tsp of black pepper
- (2) fire roasted tomatoes (or 1 can...optional)
- Salsa (as much as ya' like)
- Cover the beans and goodies with 1" of water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and partially cover.
- Simmer for 3-3.5 hours
While all that's going on...
- Marinate (2) chicken breasts in olive oil, garlic, tomato sauce (I use El Pato w/ Jalapenos), some cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, etc (to
- Long before the beans are done, grill the chicken. You can grill it until it's done, but not overdone.
- When the chicken cools, dice it into large chunks and add it to the beans and other goodies and cook for the balance of time.
- Garnish with some sliced green onions and cheese (everybody has cheese, right?). Cilantro is also an option.
ETA - Oh yeah...and CORNBREAD!!!
edit on 9/20/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)