It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Accused of Watching Instagram Users Through Cameras

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'm sure there's no surprises here. But Facebook's facing yet another lawsuit, this time for alllegedly leaving users' cameras on while the cameras are not being used.

www.bloomberg.com...

Facebook Inc. is again being sued for allegedly spying on Instagram users, this time through the unauthorized use of their mobile phone cameras.

The lawsuit springs from media reports in July that the photo-sharing app appeared to be accessing iPhone cameras even when they weren’t actively being used.

Facebook denied the reports and blamed a bug, which it said it was correcting, for triggering what it described as false notifications that Instagram was accessing iPhone cameras.

Instagram user Brittany Conditi contends the app’s use of the camera is intentional and done for the purpose of collecting “lucrative and valuable data on its users that it would not otherwise have access to

By “obtaining extremely private and intimate personal data on their users, including in the privacy of their own homes,” Instagram and Facebook are able to collect “valuable insights and market research,” according to the complaint.

Not a lot to be surprised by, but just another reminder, if you're getting something for free, you're the product not the customer.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Facebook denied the reports and blamed a bug

Of course. They would never intentionally spy on people.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   
My guess is that their permission to do this is buried in the user agreement that no one reads.

How many people who are upset by this actually delete their Facebook account? My guess is not many. In fact I’m guessing many are using their Facebook accounts filled with personal information to complain about Facebook. . . using their personal information that they gave Facebook the permission to use.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Tik Tok, the clock is ticking, time to ban it, treat all spyware the same

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Simple fix but made in China. They work like a slide switch that covers the camera.
6 Pieces Reusable Webcam Camera Cover Stick on iPad Laptop Camera Lens Black
edit on 9 18 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

I don't disagree with you, people should really know better about facebook, but I could go on and on about terms of services and how they're an abomination and an affront to standing contract laws. But I'd be getting pretty far off topic.

Suffice to say, the idea that people are forced into one sided contracts where one party has the power to change any clause at a whim and the second party has # all they can say about it, goes pretty heavily against why contracts exist in the first place.
edit on 18/9/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
Simple fix but made in China. They work like a slide switch that covers the camera.

Thanks for this! We should all get these. I’m going to.

Now something for our microphones... ?

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

This works on the ones with 1/8 inch connectors but also made in China. It simulates a microphone plugged in with no audio.
3Pcs MIC Audio Blocker Shield Blocks Audio Hacking on Computers Tablets Phones

edit on 9 18 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Fair use, i stole the last line of your OP for my own use. Its a poignant reminder that I think people I know personally would find valuable.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
Tik Tok, the clock is ticking, time to ban it, treat all spyware the same

Not a fan of Tik Tok or Facebook... So I don't use them.

I don't see the point of outright bans though. Who decides where that line is or isn't? That should just be left to the users.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
The problem I have, is that users can't even be aware of what exactly everything is being collected, not are they honestly told.

Buy a new phone, how much spyware is on it? These laptops schools are sending out, same thing. When will our personal data, really be ours?

Why are companies making profit off of our lives? Where's our kickback?

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I hearby release the contents of my op into the public domain feel free to create as many derivitive works from them as you choose....I guess unless this somehow conflicts with whatever ats's licensing says.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

Last Christmas I got a new phone case that has the slide to cover the camera. I LOVE IT! Although i'm sure they are still listening.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk

It will happen as long as people keep consuming the products....

So forever I take it.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well when it's not Facebook then it's either Google or Apple doing it. I had a tape on my front cam when I still cared.

top topics

join