It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth about Police in the United States of America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

If we get rid of police officer's qualified immunity and allow them to face prosecution for constitutional rights violations then that alone would make an enormous impact on improvement of officer's behavior.

It will also mean that the police will not work for the wages they do now.

People select a career and take jobs based on a personal profit motive. Money is one aspect of that, certainly, but there is also personal satisfaction, power perks, and the like. Civil rights lawsuits can run into the millions of dollars, more than most policemen will make in a lifetime.

It's the same ideal that leads to corporations as liability protection. Why would I start a business, invest everything I have, to make 6 figures a year when one lawsuit can cost me millions more than I could ever make in the business? At least with a corporation, that corporation can be sued and forced to pay up to everything it has, but I will still have a home to go to.

Many cities and some entire states rely far too heavily on revenue generated by the police whether directly or indirectly.

I will agree with this; many small towns have little other source of revenue and rely far too much on traffic tickets to make up their budget. I simply don't see a better way to handle fines. No matter what one does, that money will find its way into the city coffers one way or another.

Perhaps if we nationalized the police departments... sending all of the revenue generated to the Federal government, then having the Federal government fund all the local police departments. But that would bring up the spectre of big government and corruption beyond what exists now.

If you have any ideas (outside getting rid of police completely), I'm all ears.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   
A principal's rant on law enforcement in Minneapolis.

A high school student was shot in the past few days in Minneapolis, and this principal was part of a demonstration by the school principals in the city. I encourage you to watch her video. She goes on for a few minutes, 6 or 7, about what life is like in the city under COVID-19 restrictions and without any real law enforcement at all.

It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

posted on Sep, 18 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Prisons Need to Be Prisons!
they should be held in a soletery cell at all times.
1 hour out side in a fence't off erea to run around.
with No contact with other prisoners.
it is supost to tech them Not to do it again!

we all know what gose on in prison.
you bum or get bum'd by the other prioners.
you can buy drugs, some times guns!
you can learn how to be a Real criminal from the others!

<< 1   >>

join