It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does limiting the N word silence black cultural figures?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   
warning n word is used with others,

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

the n word is a variation of the spanish word negro, which means black you know like Frijoles Negros.

here a wiki cause it's fast,

The variants neger and negar derive from various European languages' words for 'black', including the Spanish and Portuguese word negro (black) and the now-pejorative French nègre, the 'i' entering the spelling "'n-word'" from those familiar with Latin. Etymologically, negro, noir, nègre, and 'n-word' ultimately derive from nigrum, the stem of the Latin niger ('black'), pronounced [ˈniɡer], with a trilled r. In every grammatical case, grammatical gender, and grammatical number besides nominative masculine singular, is nigr- followed by a case ending.

In its original English-language usage, 'n-word' (then spelled niger) was a word for a dark-skinned individual. The earliest known published use of the term dates from 1574, in a work alluding to "the Nigers of Aethiop, bearing witnes."[2] According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first derogatory usage of the term 'n-word' was recorded two centuries later, in 1775.[3]
Wiki N word

edit on 10-9-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I admit to using like in my speech that way on occasion. It's habit I picked up during those days.

like omg, tell me you weren't a valley girl wanna be. LOL

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaChaser
I mean, do most people walk around feeling comfortable calling Jewish people “k!kes”?

People don't walk around comfortably saying the "N word".
If you think Will Smith is an "N word" you should be beaten.
If you think Flavor Flav is an "N word" you have done your research.

But I'm talking about how Will Smith's voice isn't censored whilst Flavor Flav's is.

edit on 11-9-2020 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: galaga

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
As a Richard Pryor fanboy, I need to be able to say the "N word" to appreciate his greatness.
As a Patrice O'neal fanboy, I need to be able to say the "N word" to appreciate his greatness.

If I really wanna sing along with "F the Police" and appreciate it's greatness I need to say the "N word" to state the name of the band.

Is it possible that the limiting of the "N word" isn't about appeasing white guilt but silencing dissenting black views?

As I have seen, using the "N word" is accepted in parts of AA culture.
I'm not sure your argument.
But let me give you one of my own.

I would suggest no.
But this is only my perspective, as a "white boy (of native American decent)" that worked for 3 years with an MLK jr project that uplifted the Black voice.

The interesting thing was, at that time no labels as described were thrown around.
We all got along, and the friends I made still get along.

If the artist's I know are not making race an issue, I suspect you are coming from a vantage point that goes beyond my experience.

I will appreciate your follow up.

I stopped reading at "white boy of Native American decent"

You know damn well that's impossible and stop being a damn culture vulture.

I absolutely hate it when white people say that are part Native Americans when they dont even look like a Mexican.

White people that have Native blood are called latinos. This is a fact.

OK?
My great Grandmother on my Mothers side was pure Lakota Blackfoot.
My fathers side immigrated here during WWII.
So not impossible. At least I and my siblings are in fact majority white with native American decent.
I cannot speak for the rest of the world, but as I have many friends with similar stories, I would like to know how I am an impossibility.

Because my heritage is damning to your belief, I should what? Be what you want me to be?
Sorry. No.

I'm proud of my heritage. On both sides.
And you are assuming my looks, and assuming all natives look like Mexicans.

This is what is known as pre-judging, which led to the term of prejudice.

You provided no facts other than your own prejudice.
The simple fact you omitted the parenthesis, changes the meaning of the statement I made.

I find this post to be rather disappointing.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: ketsuko

I admit to using like in my speech that way on occasion. It's habit I picked up during those days.

like omg, tell me you weren't a valley girl wanna be. LOL

No, not really. It was just a speech mannerism everyone was using, and I got infected.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Huh, that's interesting. Learn something new.

My husband is similar to you in that he also apparently had a full-blooded grandmother from some tribe. This is according to his adoption paperwork. But like you, the rest of heritage is mostly white.

I guess according to the poster you responded to, I'm married to a latino although he has no Hispanic blood at all and the Native American woman in his background would have most likely been from a tribe on the East coast, nowhere near the American Southwest.

Sometimes, people who are so caught up in identity politics that they have to categorize everyone do the strangest things because hubs has never thought of himself as latino, and because he was adopted, the Native American bit is more of an interesting genetic/blood quirk than it is a heritage thing since he has no real clue what that heritage is having been raised apart from it all his life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join