It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dune

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar Lucas also ripped off "the Voice" concept, calling it a "Jedi mind trick." ...but Herbert's concept is way more interesting with a depth beyond "the force". That being said, the trailer doesn't reveal its use in the movie, nor the child/adult created by a pregnant priestess. Spoilers, I guess?

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Looks like a Bollywood remake with Harry Potter as Paul.
But , what do I know ?

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ArchangelOger

Whilst cute nothing as sexy as a young Virginia Madsen

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Was thinking the same thing. I have not seen the original since I was like 8 years old and really did not understand it. Guess I need to watch it now before seeing the new one.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MorpheusUSA
a reply to: ketsuko
Was thinking the same thing. I have not seen the original since I was like 8 years old and really did not understand it. Guess I need to watch it now before seeing the new one.

Read! The Book. First!

You’ll understand what you are seeing in the movie better if you do.

You’ll also understand what the movie (any version of the movie) lacks.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MorpheusUSA
The biggest disappointment for me (with the Hobbit and Lord of the rings) I read the books years before the films were made so I had a fixed mind on what was to come.
When they were made into films I was a mite bit of disappointed because all the above films had masses cut from the books. Dune in particular had different methods for Pauls enlightenment and his associations with the Fremen. I realise that directors have to shorten books to translate into films but sometimes they miss the nuances of missing scenes and missing characters. So they add characters and add scenes that weren't in the books.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
PS. I'll wait and see the new Dune and reserve my judgement.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

Read! The Book. First!

You’ll understand what you are seeing in the movie better if you do.

You’ll also understand what the movie (any version of the movie) lacks.

Yes, as one reviewer said about the Lynch "Dune": The movie as final exam.

Lynch's "Dune" could have been the "Doctor Zhivago" of science-fiction films, but they cut too much out of it...such that it was a loooooooong extended trailer.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

I've read the book a couple times over the years, and I understand the voice is very different than how it's always portrayed in the movie versions which make it more "fun" (for lack of a better word). The movie versions take the ultimate mental training and move it into the realm of "so advanced it might as well be magic" so that's how they make it look.

As to Paul being a teen, that doesn't equate to scrawny.

There are quite a few teens in the my adult/teen tae kwon do class who still look like better fits for the role than this guy.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
I wasn't even a teen when the 1st Dune came out, hated it when i watched it. Then tried again a few years later and still didn't like it. I believe it's because i misunderstood and just simply 'didn't get it', but dammmmmmmn this looks amazing, can't wait to watch it! 👍🏼

Read the frakking book.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Enjoyed the trailer. Especially the centrality of the Gom Jabbar - which I found a core takeaway from the novel - the difference between a human animal and a human being.

I must not fear.... is a mantra I've used many a time in my life.

A bit of the dialogue, I don't recall from the book (maybe time to read it again - as I have been doing with Asimov's Foundation) and that is of concern because it was so carefully crafted. Wonder was changes were made and if they will be true to the Story. Hope the economics of Dune are given a place in this film. The Lynch film ignored them, the mini-series did better.

We'll see and all get something different from the experience. Yay!

edit on 10-9-2020 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

The pain trick is something I use a lot while training in athletics. After a while, you learn really quickly that there is pain and there is PAIN. The first is something you can block out and move through; the second is something to pay attention to.

Those who absorb that lesson excel; those who never learn it won't make it very far.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The pain trick is something I use a lot while training in athletics. After a while, you learn really quickly that there is pain and there is PAIN. The first is something you can block out and move through; the second is something to pay attention to.

Those who absorb that lesson excel; those who never learn it won't make it very far.

They used to ask us in the Military during training .

" Are you hurt, or are you injured ? "

Of course in my younger years I'm thinking " What ! I'm in pain whats the difference ! "

Hurt means your tired , hurt means your body is causing you pain because it wants you to stop the madness all the human body wants to do is eat and sleep it does not wanna run up hills and do push ups for hours.

Injured of course means , torn muscle, ligaments , dislocated joints, broken bones etc etc. Continuing on those injuries would be counter productive in the eyes of the military.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I just watched the original Dune .

While it is old yes but it is a Classic .

I love how esoteric the old Sci fi films are.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I was excited for the DUNE remake but after watching this trailer I'm not so sure.

It's definitely marketed towards young adults based on the trailer, maybe as an incentive to read the book.

If I'm going to watch DUNE I'd prefer to stick to the original version.

I'll watch this new one anyway, but after seeing the trailer for it I'm not as excited for the release.

posted on Oct, 16 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Did no one like the 2000 mini series? I freakin' loved it!

Found it on the Youtubes:
Part 1

Part 2

edit on 16-10-2020 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join