It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dune

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Now this looks very satisfying , I'm curious to say the least.

I love a good sci-fi movie.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

I don't know. The lead looks a bit waifish to carry off desert warrior convincingly. The last two guys to play Paul might not have been hulking brutes, but they at least looked like fully developed men.

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I don't know. The lead looks a bit waifish to carry off desert warrior convincingly. The last two guys to play Paul might not have been hulking brutes, but they at least looked like fully developed men.

True .

But its just kinda the thing with movies at the moment, Casting trendy steampunk young people to play these types of roles. I always watch a film before before throwing stones, some of the best films I've seen I doubted before watching them

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   

While the effects may be better, the 1984 original and their actors (and the soundtrack!) to this day best captured the tone and darkness of the Dune book
edit on 9-9-2020 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Ill watch anything with Rebecca Ferguson in it...

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Looks interesting. Definitely something I'll watch.

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Like I said in a comment on youtube, the lack of blue eyes of the Fremen due to melange, sucks in the special effects dept. Overall however the feel and mood looks better than Lynchs.

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   
On a similar note I cant wait for the Foundation movies to come out. I loved Asimovs universe when I 1st came across it in the 70's.

More excited than over Asimovs worlds than Dune.

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Dune Trailer: Arrakis is Reborn in Denis Villeneuve’s Sci-Fi Epic!
Set to be released in theaters on December 18, 2020.
Let the SPICE Floooowww.
Paul Atreides: [from trailer] There's a crusade coming.

Can't wait but given Hollyweird's track record I'll keep my bar low.

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I remember when a Dune movie came out in the 80's. It was so.o.o.o.o.o......long. I never did see the whole movie.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 12:15 AM
link   

My thoughts as well. Should have got someone that looked more manly. Horrible decision. It's going to hurt the movie. Like you stated, they don't have to look like Wolverine but they can't look like a 16 year old thinly built skateboarder either. Not believable.

I still like the original minus Sting being in it. I think they screwed up trying to market it like Star Wars with toys. Just not a movie for children. I remember seeing those toys as a child and thought it looked creepy and strange. Where are the funny robots and Ewoks. No thanks.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Villeneuve got me with his Blade Runner sequel. I was expecting trash and got a near masterpiece. His visuals are amazing.

Dune has been a personal favorite for a long time. I'm optimistic.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Eyes off mister! If anybody is going to watch her it'll be me!

lol

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Per Herbert’s novel, Paul (soon to be Maud’dib) is Not supposed to look like a buff “desert fighter”, or even very “manly”; he’s supposed to look like a 15 or 16 year old teenager. Which he is when the novel begins.

One of the underlying themes of the story is that Paul is not prepared to step into the fate that evolved around him. He was forced into a life he feared, but mastered.

His own personal “gom jabar”, so to speak.

It is version of the classic “Hero’s Journey”, as Campbell would call it, and laid the groundwork for Luke Skywalker’s character a decade later.
edit on 10-9-2020 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

ETA:

If anyone has actually read the novel, did you recognize the similarity of the effects of the “Voice” employed by Bene Gesserit adepts to the application of Neurolinguistic Programing (NLP) techniques?
edit on 10-9-2020 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Oh yeah, now we talking, can't wait , is it here yet??....2 sec later ...is it here yet??..3 sec is it here yet??.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I wasn't even a teen when the 1st Dune came out, hated it when i watched it. Then tried again a few years later and still didn't like it. I believe it's because i misunderstood and just simply 'didn't get it', but dammmmmmmn this looks amazing, can't wait to watch it! 👍🏼
edit on 10-9-2020 by FinallyAwake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

He is also from a water world not dune. But really, on a desert world I wouldn't expect big beastly type men as probably not a lot of food/water

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

I remember when we rented it and it came with it's own printed glossary of terms.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: cognizant420

All the Fremen around him are bigger and manlier.

The two cast to play Paul before him aren't hulking man mountains, but they also looked like grown men toward the end enough to play the role of wiry warrior convincingly. This guy has his work cut out to achieve that.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   

When an old friend of mine, a lifelong Herbert fan, said in '84,
"See this.. you won't be disappointed": all I could do was try to
absorb half of it in one sitting.And I think Lynch was a little too
evolved by 1983 to be satisfied with the final product.

A cult classic though in every way, you must either love it or hate it.
DUNE is one of those few movies that are for me like a feast of
black olives if you get that. This remake could, with even a few
new wrinkles and SFX, still prove green and saltier.

I'll watch any script of this caliber at least once. Besides, whoever
does the parts isn't nearly as important as the characters they
become telling the story. Gonna be hard after Kyle Atraides.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join