It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom Bombadil

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

They told me, they noticed and remembered to pre-order

That is very sweet. I hope they were good to you.

Regarding The Hobbit movies..... I never bothered to watch the third one. The made up love story was too much for me. I don't think every movie needs a romance, especially one that contrived.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh

Regarding The Hobbit movies..... I never bothered to watch the third one. The made up love story was too much for me. I don't think every movie needs a romance, especially one that contrived.

That seemed "thrown in" at the last minute.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Issues of height-challenged romance aside, I will say I liked Tauriel as an apocryphal character. She was a badass Elven warrior.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

I agree, they did the same to the Jesus Video movie. Half the movie was about them and not the story from the book. Money money money...

Yes always. Regardless how I name them, mom/dad, foster-mom/foster-dad or simply aunty and uncle (which they were actually and I never called them mom or dad because of obvious reasons but they were like a mom and dad for me), I felt loved and accepted in every second. He was a member here, too, he brought me here. He went under the name verschickter. May both rest in peace and they are still my moral compass although I do and did make mistakes, but I try to learn from them.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
a reply to: Akragon
That's awesome, would you recommend reading it before or after the hobbit and LOR, or before?

I consider dusting off my copies of LOR and the little hobbit for winter now. Some red wine and a lit fireplace, it's not good for my eyes though but I love the atmosphere.

If I may....
I would recommend reading The Hobbit (Over The Mountain and Far Away) , then the Lord of the Rings Trilogy .
Then , and only then , the Silmarillion
There is a reason for that.

Isn’t the hobbit called there and back again?

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
a reply to: Akragon
That's awesome, would you recommend reading it before or after the hobbit and LOR, or before?

I consider dusting off my copies of LOR and the little hobbit for winter now. Some red wine and a lit fireplace, it's not good for my eyes though but I love the atmosphere.

If I may....
I would recommend reading The Hobbit (Over The Mountain and Far Away) , then the Lord of the Rings Trilogy .
Then , and only then , the Silmarillion
There is a reason for that.

Isn’t the hobbit called there and back again?

You are absolutely correct.
I owe you.
When I realized what I had done , I wanted to edit but my time had expired.
That'll teach me to try and post while gaming on my other PC , huh ?
edit on 8/29/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

I wondered about Tom Bombadil. I know how Sauron forged the one Ring to rule the others and helped Celebrimbor fashion the others to give the Elves, Dwarves and Men the power they desired. The Elves the power to preserve, rekindle and to create, the Dwarves to power to amass wealth, and I suppose also to craft to a lesser extent and to men the ability to take power.
So the One Ring goes poof and the power of the other rings fade. But Bombadil had his own power to preserve and to maintain his own territory. The Ring had no power over him so his power would remain. He'd be there until the reshaping of the world or until he decided to leave. Maybe he'd walk unseen but he seemed to have a fondness for hobbits over others.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Tom Bombadil is the main reason I just couldn't finish lord of the rings. Well, Tom and probably the fact that I had just finished the Corum and Elric books by Michael Moorcock and felt tolkien's stuff was too cutesy. Props to the op for an interesting post though

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DeanVenture

I'm pretty sure that I read Elric of Melnibone around '88.

The part that I remember the most was his crossing of a desert. No matter how starved and dehydrated he became, he couldn't die because of a pact. He just kept on going.

Reminds me of The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, and The World of Tiers by Philip José Farmer.

Tolkien, different characters for different Universes.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the recommendation

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Farmer may seem a tad more cutesy than Zelazny.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'll keep that in mind

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   
All things we do of choice. Why do we do the things you state we must master? We only must master our own survival, like Tom and could simply enjoy all there is around rather than try and control it. Tom sounds very “at one” with the world dood.

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob808

Why do we do the things you state we must master?

because of:

We only must master our own survival

I assume other people live like I do, within a society like myself. That's a wrong assumption.

I can imagine owning a large property with wild fruits and vegetables there for my taking. That isn't the case for me however. So there are things other than merely picking what's there in order to survive.

I'm pretty much "at one" with my world too. It depends upon a complex and precarious infrastructure.
edit on 30-8-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Ah, so society is driving you to need to master things, distracting you from your true happiness? Maybe society is the evil Tolkien was alluding to.

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

I'm pretty sure that I read Elric of Melnibone around '88.

The part that I remember the most was his crossing of a desert. No matter how starved and dehydrated he became, he couldn't die because of a pact. He just kept on going.

Reminds me of The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, and The World of Tiers by Philip José Farmer.

Tolkien, different characters for different Universes.

I second the recommendation of Roger Zelazny's
The Cronicles of Amber..

One of my all-time favorite stories !

Oh, to have a deck of those cards....

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob808

I can't remember when I mastered walking on two feet. I do remember a younger sibling mastering that. It was a happy day for the whole family.

There is no innate human necessity to ride a bicycle. It is handy for quicker traveling. Learning to ride a bicycle is a gateway to many things, including more fun opportunities.

posted on Aug, 31 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   

he brought me here. He went under the name verschickter.

I love that he brought you into the fold her! That is so awesome! I recognize that name, but I'll have to do some digging to remind myself where.

posted on Aug, 31 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Gandalf77

I liked Tauriel as well. I was just dismayed that they couldn't just stick to a great story that was already developed and laid out for them. And this is the problem with film adaptations far too often. The film makers have a great story, yes, they'll have to change it some to fit it into the time frame. But to add unnecessary filler when they had plenty of original material.... it just makes little sense. Except, they wanted a romance in a story that lacked that.

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 03:11 PM
link   

a reply to: Gandalf77

I hadn't heard it before either.... until I decided to do this thread and delve into Tom a little more. It got my gears turning, a lot. It's a deep idea- that true freedom from domination is eliminating any desire to control. Was Tom created without any desire to dominate or did he develop it over time? I would think (and hope) that it was something he purged over time, which gives hope that others could evolve to be beyond the grasp of evil.

I like to think that in his own mind, he's already conquered the world!

What could you possibly offer One who has everything?

How terrifying; One who cannot be bought.
edit on 3/11/2021 by iammrhappy86 because: controlled / bought

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join