It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom Bombadil

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
a reply to: Gothmog

Does anyone know or remember the origins of the Orcs ?
Were they part of the song ?

Not sure but I think they are captured elves turned into orc by Sauron?

Melkor (Morgoth) tortured the captured Elves in Angband during the First Age.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

And I thought I am a step ahead by reading the little hobbit lol.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

oh man, you're in for a treat... theres sooooo much more then the hobbit and LOTR

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   
That's awesome, would you recommend reading it before or after the hobbit and LOR, or before?

I consider dusting off my copies of LOR and the little hobbit for winter now. Some red wine and a lit fireplace, it's not good for my eyes though but I love the atmosphere.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

hard call...

IF you already know the stories of the hobbit and LOTR... then dive into the Silmarillion for sure

Though again keep in mind as i've said, it is not an easy book to read... it reads just like the 1601 KJV of the bible...basically old english.. and it throws so many names and ideas at you even from the first few pages, your head will be spinning

Many times i had to read over certain "passages" a few times before i understood what was being said... but again the stories of the silmarils are just amazing

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

That's awesome, would you recommend reading it before or after the hobbit and LOR, or before?

I consider dusting off my copies of LOR and the little hobbit for winter now. Some red wine and a lit fireplace, it's not good for my eyes though but I love the atmosphere.

If I may....
I would recommend reading The Hobbit (Over The Mountain and Far Away) , then the Lord of the Rings Trilogy .
Then , and only then , the Silmarillion
There is a reason for that.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

hard call...

IF you already know the stories of the hobbit and LOTR... then dive into the Silmarillion for sure

Though again keep in mind as i've said, it is not an easy book to read... it reads just like the 1601 KJV of the bible...basically old english.. and it throws so many names and ideas at you even from the first few pages, your head will be spinning

Many times i had to read over certain "passages" a few times before i understood what was being said... but again the stories of the silmarils are just amazing

Man Its been a long time since I read the Silmarillion, but I dont remember it being that boring haha. What I rememeber most about the book is that many of the stories are full of sorrow. The doom of Melkor weighed heavy over the Elves that settled in ME, and I think even more so over Man, the 2nd born.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
and

I read LOR and hobbit two times but it has been a while. If there is such head spinning stuff in Silmarillion, I will read the hobbit, then LOR and then fill in the blanks. I will see how I can handle the old English though.

Thank you both for the pointers, now I need to get my hands on a copy.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

its far from boring... just hard to read...

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

and

I read LOR and hobbit two times but it has been a while. If there is such head spinning stuff in Silmarillion, I will read the hobbit, then LOR and then fill in the blanks. I will see how I can handle the old English though.

Thats the issue though... the hobbit and LOTR takes up the last few pages in the Silmarillion... its literally a tiny fraction of the whole story... so IF you already know the story... then you'll be diving into the beginning of everything in middle earth.... There is a whole continent that sank to the west of what the map looks like hundreds of years before the events of the hobbit and LOTR...

Theres a Sh!t ton of info to cover man...

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Oh that land in the east where the elves went to by ship?

The thing is I know that I read it twice and the second time I discovered a few parts I did not notice the first time. Or did not take note, not sure. Hmmmm I might reconsider, then!

You are not making this easy for me haha.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   

The thing is I know that I read it twice and the second time I discovered a few parts I did not notice the first time. Or did not take note, not sure. Hmmmm I might reconsider, then!

nah... thats the undying lands... pretty sure that would be the only island left of the sunken continent... Beleriand was a whole continent that sunk beneath the great sea...

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   

and

It's not "head spinning stuff"
If you have already read the "original novels" or have seen all the movies , by all means go for the Silmarillion .
Otherwise the Silmarillion would have been the ULTIMATE SPOILER.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I see, I know nothing yet. To not make a fool of myself any further, I shut up now

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I read the books and was really let down, when I saw the movie skipping around one hundred pages in a snap of a finger here and there.

I understand that the movies would have been five hours long each if they did not skip, though. I have to sattle up though, going to use the free autobahn at night to cover some miles towards home.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   

nah... thats the undying lands... pretty sure that would be the only island left of the sunken continent... Beleriand was a whole continent that sunk beneath the great sea...

"Where are the Dunedain now , Ellessar , Ellesar ?"
edit on 8/27/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   

yeah its just the amount of info thrown at you all at once... its like reading the bible from Genesis to revelation... in that case, not recommended... but with the silmarillion you can't jump around... you have to read it cover to cover, but you'll want to go back and reread chapters.

its trying to digest the old english style plus all the names and places that are mentioned... that will make your head spin

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

heh... i am far from a middle earth aficionado LOL

From what i remember the Dunedain were practically extinct... there were only a few left and they were scattered through out middle earth

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

heh... i am far from a middle earth aficionado LOL

From what i remember the Dunedain were practically extinct... there were only a few left and they were scattered through out middle earth

The Dunedain were the Numenoreans (sp ?) that were the primary cause of the sundering of Middle Earth .
Aragorn , Elessar , was one of the remaining few .

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   

i don't seem to recall that.... the sinking of Beleriand was caused by the war between the valar and the forces of morgoth... i don't remember the Dunedain being mentioned... as they're a spawn of elves and men, and the valar were basically high elves who existed before the elves even came to middle earth

Im gonna have to do some digging... theres so much lore to read... i could (and have) spent all day digging through various sites

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join