It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defunding the police , What good will come of it.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
abc7.com...

I'm honestly at a loss for words , I used to live in California and the last thing that state needs is less police .

Politicians keep supporting this defund the police movement , but they are giving no alternatives about what is to be done once they take the money. People mainly the protesters need to spend a few days in the shoes of a Police Officer , you have no idea what your asking for taking away the operating budgets of Police Departments especially ones as large as LA County. There are parts of LA that are a literal war zone , there is non-stop gang activity in that city it needs more police and more money not less.

Whats gonna happen now that there taking part of the LAPD's budget is quite simple really , there will be less police and the ones there are will be over worked. So the gangs will expand there territory they will become more brazen , which means more killing, more drugs, more guns, more sex trafficking etc etc.

Police need to be retrained , Police need to be better vetted but simply taking there budgets is a ridiculous lazy political move that will blow up in there faces.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Defunding will be proven to be a horrible idea quickly. The sad part is that there will be many deaths on both sides just as quickly. More criminals killing citizens without the means or will to defend themselves and more criminals killed by the citizens that defend themselves.

All politicians that are going along with this are committing political suicide.

edit on 8 21 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
When/if you defund law enforcement, the responsibility of protecting the community will fall on those living in it.

Like how things used to be in the wild west days.

I don't understand the need for the authority we've allowed the police to have.

There will always be bad people out there, it's human nature. But the point of freedom is taking charge and responsibility of your life and property, Americans have been neutered in this regard.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
STARR that post up above me...like that, man.....

I went to school just 15 minutes South of Austin.....in 72......but I can't picture Austin....."keep Austin weird"
edit on 21-8-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Psilocyborg

So you want it to be where all you have to do to shoot someone is have a witness to say "The dead guy drew first sheriff. I saw the whole thing."

I need to invest in some land outside town. I will call it boot hill. I think I will have customers families wanting to buy small parts of it soon.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psilocyborg
When/if you defund law enforcement, the responsibility of protecting the community will fall on those living in it.

Like how things used to be in the wild west days.

I don't understand the need for the authority we've allowed the police to have.

There will always be bad people out there, it's human nature. But the point of freedom is taking charge and responsibility of your life and property, Americans have been neutered in this regard.

The police are the lesser of two evils , one of the evils being organized crime the other being the Police . In the absence of the police organized crime would rule with violence and intimidation .

Police rely on our conscience to keep us in line , and they step in with violence when necessary . Organized Crime rely on violence out front and rule through fear.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

The idea of defunding the police does not necessarily mean to just stop the flow of money. It means a reallocation of funds most likely to better training and social programs for the homeless and centers for addiction and better schools.
It has been proven to work just as long as the ones making the call actually have good intentions.
But make no mistake the propaganda commercials that are being played is just that, propaganda. A simple web search can easily break down what it actually is meant to do.
I will say the term is most definitely a poor choice of wording.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I don't think pulling the rug out is a good thing, but, you have definitely allowed to police to have too much power, the unions..another problem. De-fund, should be, re allocate to better training/policy. Probably need less dumb laws too, not that the police write law.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
We spend too much money on enforcement and not enough on preventing the problem from occurring in the first place.
Decrease spending on enforcement, take that money and spend it on prevention measures instead. No guarantee it will work as intended, might take a while to see results, but enforcement isnt going to work when there exist neighborhoods the police won't even bother with.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Cops in our society already get away with that he was armed excuse.

I have more faith in the people of a community than people of institutions of social control and coercion.
edit on 21-8-2020 by Psilocyborg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman
We spend too much money on enforcement and not enough on preventing the problem from occurring in the first place.
Decrease spending on enforcement, take that money and spend it on prevention measures instead. No guarantee it will work as intended, might take a while to see results, but enforcement isnt going to work when there exist neighborhoods the police won't even bother with.

This is the strategy in Washington State and Oregon and has been for years , take a look at there statistics and tell me it's working .

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   

You touch upon the lesser of 2 evils, while I agree that cops are preferred to gangs, in order for evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.

It is our role to protect our streets.

Good people won't put up with chaos in their neighborhoods for very long.

Vigilantism and local heroes will be born of these environments and your communities will be better for having these people step up to the plate.

We need to grow together and this current state of complacency is akin to giving a man a fish rather than teaching him how to fish.

Our growth cannot be achieved without conflict and strife.
edit on 21-8-2020 by Psilocyborg because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Psilocyborg

I never stated anything in this thread about any "cops" shooting anyone. Citizens and criminals will be the ones doing the shooting if this defunding happens. If you don't know, there are more armed citizens then police officers in the Unites States.

Think about it.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I guess the idea is that instead of riot gear and tanks a lot of the money would go toward actively providing recognition and assistance to people in need before violent confrontation is necessary. It'll be interesting to see how that works. Sadly, it's become a lot "easier" to lob a tear gas grenade at somebody than it is to help them find a job or a lunch program for their kids at school.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

If there are more armed citizens than cops, then why do we need cops?

Having all these guns is like having all these nukes.

You try anything and everyone gets blasted. Mutually assured destruction, the golden rule at work.

America has a military industrial complex. We police the world when we don't want them to have something and is the world safer and better for it?

The same tactics have bled into police departments over time, it's becoming militarized.

Policing has become an invasive practice.And people are getting fed up with having coercive institutions getting involved with their lives.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Drones and Droids will be replacing the cops in the future...

At least there won't be any discrimination.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

AI knows best.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   

What good will come of it?

You'll no longer have to travel to Mexico to experience a lawless gang controlled area?

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

originally posted by: Tucket

AI knows best.

"A kinder, gentler Skynet"

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

What good will come of it?

You'll no longer have to travel to Mexico to experience a lawless gang controlled area?

As a Los Angeles area resident, I already don't have to do that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join