It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnus Carlsen wins the MC Chess Tour Finals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
One of the greatest matches in Chess history just came to an end with Magnus Carlsen coming out on top....again. It was incredible how back and forth it was. The battle came down to one last Armageddon game. It was that close. Nakamura put up a tremendous fight and played the best he's ever played. I do feel sorry him as he really deserved the win.

Can we say that Magnus is better than Kasparov yet?

chess24.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Magnus is indeed probably the strongest player in history.

My vote for the "best" player will always be Bobby Fischer though. He took out a Russia superpower chess machine basically by himself. No computers.

Russia had scores of elite, world champion GMs, resources and money backing them. All foiled by a kid from Brooklyn. I can't even imagine the obsessive dedication that took. He had seconds that helped but nowhere near the level of spassky, tal, petrosion, etc etc.

But yes Magnus definitely #1 In the modern age he will be the first one to pass 3000 elo.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SuicideKing33

What you say about Bobby is true. Another thing that amazed me about Bobby is that he taught himself. Came from a broken family and still did everything you mentioned. Even today, not many Euros/Russians will give Bobby any respect.

The only reason I don't pick him as the best is because he didn't have the lasting presence/domination.

join