It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car-sized asteroid just made the closest fly-by of Earth on record

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Thank you for explanation as I said already , I was hoping for more bang !! Would make a brilliant and locally lethal door stop though !
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
a reply to: LookingAtMars

1 car sized object flying passed earth

Well played my friend.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I was expecting an earth shattering KABOOM ….!!!

Actually been even closer

Case in point - The Great Western Bolide of 1972 which skimmed through the earth atmosphere before bouncing off into space

en.wikipedia.org...

Size was guesstimated as from 1 to 14 meter in diameter, depending on what material was made of
Ie ice or rock

It was filmed by tourist in Grand Teton National Park

YOUTUBE

www.youtube.com...

As for meteor coming down to earth and crashing into things

1954 Sylacauga Alabama

Meteor crashed through roof of house and struck woman resting on couch

en.wikipedia.org...(meteorite)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This news is incorrect Wish i could prove it .
Back in the 1970s a softball game was going on and a man had a 35 miill camera and shot a Meteor scimming earth atmosphere about the size of a school bus they said wish I could find the video .
anyway It came in at such a angle that it skipped like a rock on water accross earths atmosphere .
and skipped out not destroyed .
so it got within 120 MILES of hitting lol .
edit on 19-8-2020 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Although I love the sentiment, that meme bugs me 'cause a meteor burns up in the atmosphere ...

a meteorITE hits the ground.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
Maybe the lock downs really are because of a debris field that is traveling though our solar system and/or impending pole shift?

It makes no sense, people would be safer outside in case a meteor hit than inside their homes.

And a pole shift makes even less sense, unless you are talking about a magnetic pole shift.

Interesting you mention that....

I posted about this a while back, but here are the articles I ref'd.....you should read them.....

www.scientificamerican.com...

news.berkeley.edu...

It will put what is happening into perspective.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

What do asteroid impacts have to do with a magnetic pole shift?

Speaking of perspective, consider that a refrigerator magnet is 100x stronger than the Earth's magnetic field (at the surface, it gets weaker the farther away you get).
en.wikipedia.org...

It can catch charged particles (ions) but it's not much protection from large rocks.

edit on 8/19/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

What do asteroid impacts have to do with a magnetic pole shift?

Speaking of perspective, consider that a refrigerator magnet is 100x stronger than the Earth's magnetic field (at the surface, it gets weaker the farther away you get).
en.wikipedia.org...

It can catch charged particles (ions) but it's not much protection from large rocks.

No clue what they have to do with it.....I just read the articles a while back that speak of the same thing.

It has no bearing to me on asteroids or meteorites or whatever.

It does worry me, but that is a different thread.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 12:01 AM
link   

But...the topic...
Never mind.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   

But...the topic...
Never mind.

Meh....nobody stays on topic here anymore.....

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ByteChanger

originally posted by: jjkenobi
It's okay guys. NASA was too busy renaming black holes and siamese twins galaxies to not be "offensive" they missed a near earth collision. I'm sure they'll get the next one.

Priorities first man. What if some rogue, yet unnamed, black hole threatened our little Milky Way Galaxy...

I'll tell ya what. It would be chaos! Riots everywhere, governments overturned, famine, pestilence...

Oh wait....

Just kidding... But yeah, expanding our knowledge of the universe isn't gonna do our civilization much good if we can't protect ourselves from natural disasters...

But I guess they use satellites for all sorts of things now, detecting forest fires, tsunami waves etc...

I wonder what is involved to boost the resolution and coverage of these near earth, potentially oncoming objects...

You seem pretty positive we're not already in black hole.
People look this weird to me now days. lol

a reply to: midnightstar

I've seen that video on a documentary some time ago.
Strange it is hard to find. I've looked for it also.
edit on 20-8-2020 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Can you imagine being woken up in the middle of the night to the noise of that, only to go out and find a meteorite took out a chunk of your car? Wonder if that falls under collision coverage or not...

That car has made $thousands and tours the world.
The meteorite that hit is is a hammer stone, making it one of the most valuable per gram then most.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
This news is incorrect Wish i could prove it .
Back in the 1970s a softball game was going on and a man had a 35 miill camera and shot a Meteor scimming earth atmosphere about the size of a school bus they said wish I could find the video .
anyway It came in at such a angle that it skipped like a rock on water accross earths atmosphere .
and skipped out not destroyed .
so it got within 120 MILES of hitting lol .

I have seen it. Seems lost forever, like so many others.
Noticeably missing from YT.

There are a number of Earth Grazing bolides films that are not available anywhere.
There was one, filmed in England in the 70's by a TV film crew doing a farm video. Suddenly, 2 Earth Grazers entering downrange , about 50d up, one directly behind another. It was an incredible sight as they passed perpendicular to the camera. You could see the size of them, on fire and they were tumbling. What is available now is just the first shot of them entering and the rest of the film was cut.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

You are probably talking about the "Great Daylight 1972 Fireball", the reference I could find about an Earth grazing meteor in the 1970s.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

The problem is that bolides of the size of Chelyabinsk, about 20 meters, can evade current surveillance systems, especially come out of the sun

Even small size objects can have devastating effects, the Tunguska object of 1908 was estimated to be twice that Chelyabinsk about 40 meters or more

The meteor which carved out METEOR CRATER in Arizona desert about 50,000 years ago was only about 50 meters, half of football field

also composition matters ice, density .9, stone ~ 2.65 and iron-nickel about 8 have an effect on how much mass the object has

Iron objects will also hold together on passage through atmosphere and have greater chance reaching ground intact
whereas ice will vaporize and stone will shatter from aerodynamic forces

edit on 20-8-2020 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

We are not that concerned with small objects because their detection envelopes prohibit any kind of action except a quick warning. The only reason Chelyabinsk caused minor damage was that it was a low trajectory bolide that detonated about 20km lower than most of it's class. It was an ordinary chondrite, and if it came in closet to zenith, it would have been faster and would have detonated much higher up. Tunguska as well, larger object, most likely a chondrite, low trajectory and able to dip into the lower atmosphere. It would have done far less damage if it had just come in closer to zenith which would have made it detonate higher up.

The Ones we need to be aware of are the big Irons at high zenith angles. These are the killers. Their mass lets them blow through the atmosphere at full cosmic velocity without detonating. Meteor Crater was the size of a bus, but bigger ones caused craters like Vredfort , Sudbury and Chesapeake Bay..... 300, 250 and 100 km crater widths, respectively.

edit on 20-8-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

And the bigger they are, the more detectable.

But with really big ones, the approach angle doesn't matter much.

edit on 8/20/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   

And the bigger they are, the more detectable.

But with really big ones, the approach angle doesn't matter much.

Yes, true enough, but Irons at really low angles , even big ones, have so much inertia that they usually lose cosmic velocity from traveling through so much atmosphere. They rarely explode (exception is Sikhote Alin) and wind up falling intact. Hoba is a good example, and so is Cape York. Hell of a thud, though!

edit on 20-8-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   

They are also quite small, in the scheme of things.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yea, you can just imagine the size of the objects that caused the major craters on Earth.

There is still debate on what caused the half arc of Hudson Bay. Every year somone thinks they found the smoking gun, but still no shocked quartz...., and now there is a group that thinks the tip of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI , the Northumberland Strait and the Gulf of St Laurence is an ancient crater. That would be around 400 miles wide if true!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join