It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newsweek Article Argues Kamala Harris Is NOT A Citizen

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: Iconic

Sure wasted a bunch of your time....really? Got nuthin' else...didn't work on Barry huh?

Barry's mother was a citizen and even though he was born in a Africa, he is still considered a citizen of the USA.

I am not really sure if Harris is legit or not, I do not know for sure if she is or not....I will let the people who deal with that sort of law determine that.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
Newsweek already apologized for putting out the article.

The magazine was hit with criticism for pushing a racist "birther" conspiracy after publishing the piece on Wednesday by conservative law professor John Eastman. Eastman falsely argued that Harris — whose mother and father emigrated from India and Jamaica, respectively — "may not be subject to the complete jurisdiction" of the US, even though she was born in California and is undeniably a US citizen under the Fourteenth Amendment.

www.businessinsider.com...

Yes, they have, and two days ago,

They still carry the story though, while declaring it false and racist in an appendage;

www.theguardian.com...

To boot, extract,
'Harris, who was tapped by Joe Biden to serve as his running mate on the Democratic ticket, was born in Oakland, California, and is eligible for both the vice-presidency and presidency under the constitutional requirements. The question is not even considered complex, according to constitution lawyers'
edit on 17-8-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Questioning someone’s citizenship is “racist”?????????????????

How?

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: HalWesten

I think the real argument should be had with the guy who wrote the Op ed. He doesn't just work for hair club for men, he's a client. I sure as hell don't have the knowledge to argue this. But I just hate to have someone shouted down rather than beat by facts.

The original article is written by someone trying to stir up a non-existing pot. Even Newsweek sees it as bunk and they're a leftist organization now.

The others, well... Some people are so hell-bent on declaring someone to be unable to do X that they twist things to match their definition when it's usually not true. The Cornell Law School makes it crystal-clear that a natural-born person is a person born on US soil. The court says the same thing.

This is a non-issue.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
Questioning someone’s citizenship is “racist”?????????????????

How?

It is the Guardian, so...

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

The magazine was hit with criticism for pushing a racist "birther" conspiracy after publishing the piece on Wednesday by conservative law professor John Eastman. Eastman falsely argued that Harris — whose mother and father emigrated from India and Jamaica, respectively — "may not be subject to the complete jurisdiction" of the US, even though she was born in California and is undeniably a US citizen under the Fourteenth Amendment.

They still carry the story though, while declaring it false and racist in an appendage;

www.theguardian.com...

To boot, extract,
'Harris, who was tapped by Joe Biden to serve as his running mate on the Democratic ticket, was born in Oakland, California, and is eligible for both the vice-presidency and presidency under the constitutional requirements. The question is not even considered complex, according to constitution lawyers'

Cause The Guardian said so,....
And , after all , they are experts on the US Constitution and politics , right ?
(More of Goth's copyrighted venom dripping sarcasm)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

It's been pretty widely accepted for some time that if a person is born on US soil that they are citizens, even illegal border crossers who have children in the US and the children are citizens. At least to my knowledge, that has been accepted precedent for as long as I can remember. It may be technically incorrect, but has been long standing practice for years.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Clever campaign tactic to put up a known falsehood and then "apologize" 😎

Now people will use it to criticize and deflect from other genuine issues 😎

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Infoshill

She is also a natural born citizen. Geez, you guys are nuts. It is a racist argument because you are like, "Oh look, black woman! Let's attack her citizenship!"

A natural-born citizen refers to someone who was a U.S. citizen at birth, and did not need to go through a naturalization proceeding later in life.

AND

Under the 14th Amendment's Naturalization Clause and the Supreme Court case of United States v. Wong Kim Ark, 169 US. 649, anyone born on U.S. soil and subject to its jurisdiction is a natural-born citizen, regardless of parental citizenship. This type of citizenship is referred to as birthright citizenship.

Source: Cornell Law

There is no basis for this argument other than the fact that she is a person of color. She is factually a naturally-born citizen and you are all making her life hard when she did nothing to deserve it besides being colored.

If you don't like her policies, grow some balls and engage her on them instead of her skin tone.
edit on 17pmMon, 17 Aug 2020 18:05:13 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iconic

Apologizing to the woke left to make sure you don't get canceled doesn't do anything except just that. But if you take that seriously, then go join your homies in Portland

She is American, was born there..don't like it..too bad. Find another way.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This discussion is unbelievable.
She was born in the United States
That makes her a US Citizen.
What the # don't people understand about this?
End of Story

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: smurfy

www.theguardian.com...

To boot, extract,

Cause The Guardian said so,....
And , after all , they are experts on the US Constitution and politics , right ?
(More of Goth's copyrighted venom dripping sarcasm)

They probably are in their US office at least,

Anyway, I think that several outlets have published on the apology...even Newsweek.

White house though, have said nothing that I know of since Trump's inability to respond in kind...he just left the allegation up in the air...but then Harris is a woman yes?

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This is a complete waste of time and a total political loser, so much so that I think this is probably a case of the left trying to stir the pot, hoping that Trump supporters will take the bait and run with it.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
www.newsweek.com...

Editor's note, 8/14: This op-edis being used by some as a tool to perpetuate racism and xenophobia.We apologize. The essay, by John Eastman, was intended to explore a minority legal argument about the definition of who is a "natural-born citizen" in the United States. But to many readers, the essay inevitably conveyed the ugly message that Senator Kamala Harris, a woman of color and the child of immigrants, was somehow not truly American.

I don't know about you but I don't see anything about being eligible for the office, or not have anything at all to do with racism or xenophobia.
edit on 17-8-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

"Nonsense," runs the counter-commentary. Indeed, PolitiFact rated the claim of ineligibility as "Pants on Fire" false, Snopes rated it simply "False," and from the other side of the political spectrum, Conservative Daily News likewise rated it "False." All three (and numerous others) simply assert that Harris is eligible because she was born in Oakland—and is therefore a natural-born citizen from location of birth. The 14th Amendment says so, they all claim, and the Supreme Court so held in the 1898 case of U.S. v. Wong Kim Ark.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   
UUUHHH Guys...There might be a fly in the ointment here about her citizenship. Her father. While he did become a naturalized citizen there could be a problem. Her father originally came to the US from Jamaica with diplomatic status. What I can't find on the internet now is any mention of the diplomatic status he used to get into the country.

So I think there is a question on "Did Kamala's father still have that status at the time of her birth?" If so then the law is clear. Children of diplomats do not get American citizenship. Even if born in the US. She would then be Jamaican and Indian instead.

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Sure wasted a bunch of your time....really? Got nuthin' else...didn't work on Barry huh?

Barry's mother was a citizen and even though he was born in a Africa, he is still considered a citizen of the USA.

I am not really sure if Harris is legit or not, I do not know for sure if she is or not....I will let the people who deal with that sort of law determine that.

Hey, RM ( how are you, well?)...yeah, it's all just nonsense...we do have other more serious issues..

Take care..peace, MS

posted on Aug, 17 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Hey, RM ( how are you, well?)...yeah, it's all just nonsense...we do have other more serious issues..

Take care..peace, MS

Doing alright, What have you been up to lately, has covid locked you down much this summer?

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
The "current " crop for me starts with Slick Willy Clinton and has slid downhill faster than a frozen whale turd.

Perhaps you are too young to remember the absolute traitor/dementia-in-chief president that was a champion of class division and pseudo-patriotism... Reagan. Dude cranked up the crony-capitalism dial at a rate that even brings a humble tear to Trumps eye.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Infoshill
You can be a United States citizen, and still not be eligible to be President . Or didn't you know that ...

She is:
  • A legal citizen
  • Is 35 or older
  • Has resided in the United States for at least 14 years

Those are the qualifications, or didn't you know that?

Actually the OP addresses this. A later amendment to the constitution, the 12 Amendment, changed the requirements for Vice president so they match those of the President. (This is also when they changed it so the Vice wasn't just the first runner up.)

constitutioncenter.org...

The last line says:

But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

She does have to be a "natural born" citizen.

And the issue is that her parents were not permanent legal residents. They were legal, but not permanently legal.

Among other things, this means they were not eligible for the draft in time of war. (Legal permanent residents are eligible for the draft.)

They may have been eligible to be drafted in their home countries. And this would mean that, in time of war, they would be fighting on that country's side, instead of ours.

posted on Aug, 18 2020 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The other thing to remember, though:

14th Amendment does not prohibit giving citizenship to people who fail its criterion.

It only sets limits on who you can't deny it to.

If other laws in place granted citizenship to her at the time of her birth, she could still be considered "natural born".

IE. the constitution doesn't say we CAN'T give citizenship to the children of non-permanent residents. It just doesn't require us to.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join