It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Point Flutes, convergent technologies or a legacy technique?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Hanslune here you go
A recent paper on holocene lithics in Arabia has shown that knapper developed fluting there some 8kya.

Abstract
New World archaeologists have amply demonstrated that fluted point technology is specific to Terminal Pleistocene American cultures. Base-fluted, and rarer tip-fluted, projectile points from the Americas have been well-documented by archaeologists for nearly a century. Fluting is an iconic stone tool manufacturing method and a specific action that involves the extraction of a channel flake along the longitudinal axis of a bifacial piece. Here we report and synthesize information from Neolithic sites in southern Arabia, demonstrating the presence of fluting on a variety of stone tool types including projectile points. Fluted projectile points are known from both surface sites and stratified contexts in southern Arabia. Fluting technology has been clearly identified at the Manayzah site (Yemen) dating to 8000–7700 cal. BP. Examination of fluted points and channel flakes from southern Arabia enable a reconstruction of stone tool manufacturing techniques and reduction sequences (chaines opératoires). To illustrate the technological similarities and contrasts of fluting methods in Arabia and the Americas, comparative studies and experiments were conducted. Similarities in manufacturing approaches were observed on the fluting scars of bifacial pieces, whereas technological differences are apparent in the nature and localization of the flute and, most probably, the functional objective of fluting in economic, social and cultural contexts. Arabian and American fluted point technologies provide an excellent example of convergence of highly specialized stone tool production methods. Our description of Arabian and American fluting technology demonstrates that similar innovations and inventions were developed under different circumstances, and that highly-skilled and convergent production methods can have different anthropological implications.

Here are the locations of the points studied

The methodology of fluting

I have mixed feelings about this work, could it be evidence of the certain back migrations that happened in reponse to dramatic shists in climate?
If it were we should have more evience in along the way.
There are some fundemental flaws in this paper though as they do not acknowledge the slightly differing techniques used to make the South an North American fluted points, the El Jobo/Taima tiama derived points are a thick bodied lenticular cross section, and technically not overshot flaked, while Clovis drived points are flat thin bodied implements.
I would have people take note of the fact that El jobo/taima tiama derived points migrated north from Venezuala, to texas at 16kya and into Alaska by 10kya. The botlle gourd is also native to Venezuala and show up in east asia(phllipines) by 8kya.

posted on Aug, 12 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Hard to say without going into a lot of genetics. However, it's one of those things where it elegantly solves a problem... how to secure a point better on a shaft. It could be either, truthfully.

posted on Aug, 12 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

Hanslune here you go
A recent paper on holocene lithics in Arabia has shown that knapper developed fluting there some 8kya.

Abstract
New World archaeologists have amply demonstrated that fluted point technology is specific to Terminal Pleistocene American cultures. Base-fluted, and rarer tip-fluted, projectile points from the Americas have been well-documented by archaeologists for nearly a century. Fluting is an iconic stone tool manufacturing method and a specific action that involves the extraction of a channel flake along the longitudinal axis of a bifacial piece. Here we report and synthesize information from Neolithic sites in southern Arabia, demonstrating the presence of fluting on a variety of stone tool types including projectile points. Fluted projectile points are known from both surface sites and stratified contexts in southern Arabia. Fluting technology has been clearly identified at the Manayzah site (Yemen) dating to 8000–7700 cal. BP. Examination of fluted points and channel flakes from southern Arabia enable a reconstruction of stone tool manufacturing techniques and reduction sequences (chaines opératoires). To illustrate the technological similarities and contrasts of fluting methods in Arabia and the Americas, comparative studies and experiments were conducted. Similarities in manufacturing approaches were observed on the fluting scars of bifacial pieces, whereas technological differences are apparent in the nature and localization of the flute and, most probably, the functional objective of fluting in economic, social and cultural contexts. Arabian and American fluted point technologies provide an excellent example of convergence of highly specialized stone tool production methods. Our description of Arabian and American fluting technology demonstrates that similar innovations and inventions were developed under different circumstances, and that highly-skilled and convergent production methods can have different anthropological implications.

I have mixed feelings about this work, could it be evidence of the certain back migrations that happened in reponse to dramatic shists in climate?
If it were we should have more evience in along the way.
There are some fundemental flaws in this paper though as they do not acknowledge the slightly differing techniques used to make the South an North American fluted points, the El Jobo/Taima tiama derived points are a thick bodied lenticular cross section, and technically not overshot flaked, while Clovis drived points are flat thin bodied implements.
I would have people take note of the fact that El jobo/taima tiama derived points migrated north from Venezuala, to texas at 16kya and into Alaska by 10kya. The botlle gourd is also native to Venezuala and show up in east asia(phllipines) by 8kya.

Yes I read the paper and while I don't have much to do with NA Clovis (a friend of mine from HS seeing we were both going to college to study Archaeology agreed I could have the Middle-East and Yucatan and he got the rest of NA & SA), the rest of Asia and Africa was up for grabs.

Yeah the last lines of the abstract say it all - similar development, like bows and arrows, body armor, food prep a lot of it is the same and not all can be placed on one person inventing it and spreading it around the world.

What Byrd said...

While it is is possible that is it was introduced I find - based on the current evidence for it to not be plausible or probable. "" However, it's one of those things where it elegantly solves a problem"".

Oh, and you've seemed to have left out the paper: www.academia.edu...
edit on 12/8/20 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Does this seem to support parallel development or diffusion theories?

I could see it happening either way, some how it showed up.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

It strongly supports parallel deveopment, diffusion is certainly possible but it would have been a type of Hyper-diffiusion, as is usual with such questions the lack of evidence for diffusion points to parallel development - until something shows up to support HD.

It is possible that someone in Asia created that style of ST then walked to NA - or the reverse, during one or many generations.

The LDS might find it an amusing thought.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2020 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

It strongly supports parallel deveopment, diffusion is certainly possible but it would have been a type of Hyper-diffiusion, as is usual with such questions the lack of evidence for diffusion points to parallel development - until something shows up to support HD.

It is possible that someone in Asia created that style of ST then walked to NA - or the reverse, during one or many generations.

The LDS might find it an amusing thought.

en.wikipedia.org...

I would have to agree that cultural diffusion is less lijely than independently arriving at different. Especially when comparing New World vs. Old World.

Meal-America independently deceloped written script, architecture and irrigation just to name a couple off of the top of my head. Personally I'm still impressed with encoding language into knot work. Its certainly nothing we see anywhere in the old world.

ETA- I know from personal experience that any LDS devotee would lose their collective minds over this. I played in a band eith a drummer who converted when he got engaged to a woman whose family was very active in their church and they take their pseudoscience VERY seriously. My drummer asked me one night to explain that omd cunnard, if ee evolved from apes then why are there still apes? It started with an evil eye and ended with me being asked to leave because I was able to dissect scripture which was the final straw as I was able to demonstrate where their own scripture conrrasicted itself and explain the science behind their ignorance. Apparently that's a big no no.

edit on 16-8-2020 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join