It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to remove offensive names from planets, stars and other heavenly bodies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   
edit on 11-8-2020 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Offensive names

FFS

Tired of this sh#t.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Riffrafter

Hmmm, does this ruin my chance to do the whole 'name a star' thing? I had already picked out Cracker Ass Cracker for the one I wanted.

Pretty sure that one is safe - along with "white devil star", "honky planet", and "white privilege nebula"

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
Pretty sure that one is safe - along with "white devil star", "honky planet", and "white privilege nebula"

Praise the white, blue-eyed Jesus.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TheSkunk
Is Siamese Offensive?

Yes, since the country is now being called Thighland.

So my neighbors cat is actually a Thighland? I'll pass that on

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Imagine being so triggered and offended by NASA's pre-emptive actions that you'd go online to complain about it and start criticizing hypothetical people for potentially being offended by the names of heavenly bodies despite the fact those people don't exist because literally no-one asked for this and NASA is just getting out in front of it to avoid controversy in case it were to happen.

Does it honestly bother any of you that the Eskimo Nebula will no longer be referred to as such? Will you lose sleep over it? Are NASA's name changes the point-of-no-return on the slippery slope of political correctness? Are you offended by others being offended?

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tekner

originally posted by: Riffrafter

originally posted by: projectvxn
I'd like to see present Trump end this bull#.

What stellar objects names are offensive and to whom?

Many of the stars in the night sky have Arab names.

Well, Uranus may be in trouble. And I'm not going to touch the Black Hole naming debates.

If you read the very brief linked story, you come across a few gems such as:

Under the new rules, the “Eskimo Nebula,” discovered in 1787 by William Hershel, will only be referred to as NGC 2392.

The so-called “Siamese Twins Galaxy” will likewise be known only as NGC 4567 and NGC 4568.

What in the blue f#ck has happened to plain old common sense?

It's as if the year 2020 is a relentless marauder of all things sane, decent, kind, logical & respectful.

I have news for 2020 - if it keeps up this crazy nonsense, I think congress and the President should be goaded into cancelling the rest of this sh#t-show year, and pass a law, edict or decree that starts the new year - 2021 - this Friday night Aug 14th!.

I'm out...and ready to party like it's 2021 ASAP.

Who's with me?

New super massive hole of color found in a far away galaxy!

Hey that name might be offensive to obese individuals; you might want to rethink it.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm throwing my NASA T-Shirts away and all their garbage into the trash, that's where it belongs now. F-them

NASA can shove their political correctness up their @ss.

edit on 11-8-2020 by CraftyArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   
As long as Space X calls them by their given names, who cares about NASA now.

What have you done for us lately NASA? Thanks for the WD40! Bye now..

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

And unfortunately, Thai Twin Nebula will have a different kind of apeall to a different kind of person.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

The only thing that makes this comment better is looking at your avatar while reading it!

Totally agree though, they better leave Uranus alone, that was my first thought upon reading the thread.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   

NASA to remove offensive names from planets, stars and other heavenly bodies

S T U P I D .

The left is sucking all the joy out of life. 👎🏻

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManSizedSquirrel
They better not touch Uranus!

I think it'll be safe. Nobody wants to touch Uranus.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   

This has literally no impact on anything, you are just easily hurt, like all of the other people who get offended by what names and words other people use.
edit on 11-8-2020 by wheresthebody because: clarity

edit on 11-8-2020 by wheresthebody because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Katatonik
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

The only thing that makes this comment better is looking at your avatar while reading it!

Totally agree though, they better leave Uranus alone, that was my first thought upon reading the thread.

Hey thanks! My tiny squirrel brain immediately fixated on the best planet in the solar system.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

This has literally no impact on anything, you are just easily hurt, like all of the other people who get offended by what names and words other people use.

It doesn't have an actual cosmological impact, much like the demotion of Pluto, but it is disruptive pandering and virtue signaling for no reason.
Who complained about the names of nebulae? Some NASA clown in a superfluous administrative position wanted to pretend to do something significant and just made the whole organization look like idiots. There are too many Black Holes to contend with.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Oh no - no more Uranus jokes,.

Seriously who do they think they are?, to do this they need to get an international agreement since it is not only they whom name planet's and stars?.

What have they done to those guy's is not even NASA safe from spiking the old water cooler with oestrogen.

Bloody crackpot's.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Instead of this silly creeping censorship,we should just ban ALL language as it can all be used to offend someone.

We can start on the young-all babies that are born can have their mouths stitched up and get used to the new normal of being fed through a drip.
Anyone who uses language can be locked up.

Anyone who uses any color paint can be locked up,whatever color,because one color may be mixed with others to make it racist.

Anything that can potentially be used for racism must be banned-so no more talking,writing,using colors to describe anything.Internet?Hell no.banned.

And people should also have their middle fingers removed at birth just in case they offend someone with a rude gesture.

Or better yet,we should all have our brains surgically removed in case we accidently think about anything that may offend anyone.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

Hurt?

Hahahahahaha

I'm thoroughly enjoying the fact that NASA have now made *complete* idiots out of themselves in an astonishing short period of time. It usually takes much longer to dig a grave as deep a they have.

And they did this all to themselves all on their own.

Talk about going big or going home - they didn't just shoot themselves in the ass - they completely cratered themselves in their first time at bat!! Without credibility and gravitas, NASA is just a bunch of cool, shiny toys.

TIme to put a fork in them - they're cooked.

posted on Aug, 11 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman
Imagine being so triggered and offended by NASA's pre-emptive actions that you'd go online to complain about it and start criticizing hypothetical people for potentially being offended by the names of heavenly bodies despite the fact those people don't exist because literally no-one asked for this and NASA is just getting out in front of it to avoid controversy in case it were to happen.
Does it honestly bother any of you that the Eskimo Nebula will no longer be referred to as such? Will you lose sleep over it? Are NASA's name changes the point-of-no-return on the slippery slope of political correctness? Are you offended by others being offended?

It bothers me that others are or may get offended on my behalf....

There is too much of that going on
If I want to get offended

I am quite capable of doing so of my own accord.

All those busybodies who make a profession of being offended on some

one else's behalf
and MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS

There I feel better now.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join