It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX Starship SN5 Test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   
This is pretty cool, ATS! I'm getting excited about SpaceX all over again. This time the excitement is over a test for the new SpaceX Starship which, consequently, has been named as one of the Lunar landing systems under the NASA Artemis program.

From Wiki:

The SpaceX Starship is a fully reusable super heavy-lift launch vehicle under development by SpaceX since 2012, as a self-funded private spaceflight project.

The second stage of the Starship is designed as a long-duration cargo and passenger-carrying spacecraft. It is expected to be initially used without any booster stage at all, as part of an extensive development program to prove out launch-and-landing and iterate on a variety of design details, particularly with respect to the vehicle's atmospheric reentry.

While the spacecraft will be tested on its own at suborbital altitudes, it will be used on orbital launches with an additional booster stage, the Super Heavy, where the spacecraft will serve as the second stage on a two-stage-to-orbit launch vehicle.

Integrated system testing of a proof of concept for Starship began in March 2019, with the addition of a single Raptor rocket engine to a reduced-height prototype, nicknamed Starhopper — similar to Grasshopper, an equivalent prototype of the Falcon 9 reusable booster. Starhopper was used from April through August 2019 for static testing and low-altitude, low-velocity flight testing of vertical launches and landings[18] in July and August 2019. More prototype Starships are under construction and are expected to go through several iterations. All test articles have a 9 metres (30 ft) of diameter stainless steel hull.

SpaceX is planning to launch commercial payloads using Starship no earlier than 2021. In April 2020, NASA selected a modified human rated Starship system as one of three lunar landing systems to receive funding for a 10-month long initial design phase for the Artemis program.

Pretty cool, huh? Watching these rockets take off and land is a thing of beauty! It's like falling in love all over again everytime I see it. Big things are coming for humanity in terms of Space Travel and SpaceX is leading the charge. What say you, ATS? Excited?

www.youtube.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 07:11 AM
link   
One step for man, one giant leap for a grain silo.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

This is the coolest grain silo I've ever seen...

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Musk is the most amazing human being in decades. If he wants to do something he just makes it happen: PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla, Hyperloop, Powerwall, etc. I can’t wait to see if Starship Super Heavy does everything expected of it. And Musk says it could all happen within the next five years.

NASA seems like a dinosaur in comparison. It should get out of the space launch biz and stick with pure science and technology research. It’s wasted many billions in taxpayer money on the absurd SLS.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The system from reading about, I believe has plans for flights between continents as well, looking at 30 min flight time’s.
Just so many out of this world literally ideas emanating from the minds surrounding Musk.

A visionary that the world needs, when so many fail to leave their lil box, never the less try to think outside of it.

SaneThinking

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SaneThinking

I too am in the Musk fan club

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Everyone knows the earth is flat. That thing’s just bounce off of the dome.......

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: 00018GE
Everyone knows the earth is flat. That thing’s just bounce off of the dome.......

Of course it's flat. That why we have flat eyeballs!😉

posted on Aug, 10 2020 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

For whatever reason, Musk has his detractors. Personally, I don't care what they think or why .

Did he set out to do: "x,y,z" and do them?... Yes, indeed he did.

Are his goals and aspirations worthy things for humanity's future?... Heck yes!

Does he utilize every advantage available (tax incentives, government contracts, etc.) and make a ton of money for himself in the process?... Like any CEO worth a fraction of his compensation, yes - only in Musks's case, the return on investment for both shareholders and taxpayers alike FAR outweighs that of any other company(s) I can think of.

Does he accomplish all of this on his own?... Of course not! He surrounds himself with the minds and personalities capable of making his vision reality - and in such a way that big dreams are realized while making massive piles of money - each success going further in enabling future projects.

Keep kicking (donkey), Elon!

join