It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duckling scare, maybe heat stroke.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Thank you! He's doing a LOT better today, acting pretty much like is normal self.

And yes, I've read about the aggression, and since I have no idea what sex they are, we'll see. I think the big duck is a a female, just because of how loud she is, but I have no idea about the others. I *hope* at least one of the rouens is a drake, because of the coloring, and I'd like to have more females for the eggs.
edit on 10-8-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Will ducks breed across different types?

Glad the little guy is feeling better

posted on Aug, 10 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I'm not sure about *all* ducks but the Pekins and the Rouens are the same species so they can, and sometimes do, interbreed, from what I understand. .

And thanks! Happy the little guy is back in the yard with his friend. They're back together like they had never been apart, sitting and cuddling together like buddies.

edit on 10-8-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   

They sure are cute.
I hope they grow, and maybe multiply, and supply you with fresh duck eggs.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

And livers.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 07:12 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I made this thread about buying a duck, I have rescued birds and am an animal lover.
Ducks are awesome but they always need a friend and don't like being alone.

I never went for it as pets are a big responsibility and I like having snakes...I can leave for a week and they don't care that I am gone, unlike a duck.

I'd love to have a duck though, I just don't think I am mature enough yet. lol

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Oh yes, they will! LOL My male is a mix, his dad was a buff and his mom is a Swedish blue. He has a green bill!

But he also tried to mount my chickens, until the rooster had had enough, and started going after him.
He is kind of a jerk.

But my girls are sweet.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

They sure are cute.

Thanks!
Yes, they will grow, and I do hope I get some eggs, but I think the big duck is a male, actually. He's got that little drake feather.

As far as multiply, I think I'm good with the number I now have, plus, from what I understand, pekins don't brood, so it's unlikely there would be ducklings unless incubated.

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Good thread.

The really are a mess, especially in their pen, which has to be cleaned every day or so.

When I first brought that big duck home, he seemed so lonely, having grown up with the chickens. He would go into his cage at night, and in the morning go sit by the water by himself all day. The first day or two he was here, he tried to take up in the garage, but I kicked him out because I didn't want a mess. So, he went off into the woods and would just sit there among the pines all day, until night.

Now, he's very vocal. When I go to feed them, he gets right up in my face wanting either mealworms or for me to let the little ones out of the cage. When I let them out, they are practically inseparable. They'll go down to the water and sit together, with the big one keeping an eye out, it seems. They still won't get in the water, although the big one will occasionally get in and play—as long as his feet can touch, just like with FCD's geese.

But yes, they are a responsibility, more than I had imagined, and extremely social.

All I know, is that he is extremely happy to have some friends to pal around with.

edit on 13-8-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

And livers.

Man, I love some duck.

Especially breasts. Of course, not too many breasts I don't...

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

he gets right up in my face

LOL

I went duck hunting with a friend.....we got 3 but only found 2.
We cooked it in bacon fat, it was the toughest duck breast I ever ate....it took 20 minutes of chewing to get 1 bite down.
We didn't mess up shooting it, we messed up cooking it.
A lesson lived is a lesson learned.
edit on 13-8-2020 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Dudes!!!

Talking about duck dinner on a thread talking about cute little duckies!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Dudes!!!

Talking about duck dinner on a thread talking about cute little duckies!!!!!!!!!

Lol!! It does seem wrong.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I would never eat my pets.

Maybe *your* pets, but never mine.

And never would I be a ducklingphile. They have to be of age.

On a serious note, I am out of town for a few days, and I'm worried to death my little ones are taken care of properly.

I bought them a new, and larger cage, until they get bigger. They LOVE it, but I'm still worried for those little cuties.

posted on Aug, 14 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I figured that!

Safe travels, and a good thought for all your little guys.....

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 07:52 PM
link   

and supply you with fresh duck eggs.

Need some? I'm getting overrun. No one I know wants them. And I can't and don't eat two eggs every day.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join