It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sign into ATS with Google disabled???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I've had an email from an existing member who has been unable to log in for a number of days.

Can any of the mods assist so anyone else affected by this problem can find a solution.

Here's what they are saying is happening...

When I try and login I can choose my Google account, but then gives the message

When i signed up I didn't use my email address I used my YouTube login to set up. So I can't send a password reset request (as they have no email address linked to my account). I've played around with all Google account security and other settings, always same result (see the screen shot - above)

I can't even setup another account (eg, ATSMember-2) just to send a message to the mods to ask how to resolve. Just says "server configuration error, please try again later."

It doesn't matter if I try with Chrome or Opera, all same results. Doesn't make a difference clearing cache, clearing history etc.

I'll provide a link to this post to said member.

If anyone knows how to resolve this problem then please reply below.

Many thanks

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman
This is why you don't use 3rd party sign in services.

Wouldn't the youtube login be the user's email address? If they recover their password would.it not go to their gmail address? Your youtube account is the same as your google account.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Didn't ATS disable non third party account creation a while back?
I thought you pretty much had to have facebook to register here, theese days

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Just to sign in with my smartphone can take up to 5 times - Connection temporarily reset

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Not helpful I know but just ANOTHER reason not to use the filthy g word services

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

No idea, but I just signed out and tried to click join and was met with a server error so yeah I guess.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt

I thought you pretty much had to have facebook to register ithhere, theese days

I signed in with google yesterday. No issues at all.

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: a325nt

I thought you pretty much had to have facebook to register here, theese days

You do and I loathe it.

Google, Facebook etc are nothing but information spies.

I thought that would be against the values of ATS

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It works for me on mobile phone

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   
OhOh this could be intentional from google !! 😣

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   

There is always youtube, facebook, twitter, and your original log in. I know the four or five different user names can confusing./SARC

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Don't sign out!

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

There is always youtube, facebook, twitter, and your original log in. I know the four or five different user names can confusing./SARC

When I joined, there was no option to sign up using the normal login-password. It was third party, or nothing. I don't know why, or if it's still like that for new accounts.
edit on 8/8/2020 by Subrosabelow because: (no reason given)

I guess this means when the inevitable occurs, and I get randomly logged out (happens frequently,) that I won't be able to get back in perhaps.
edit on 8/8/2020 by Subrosabelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2020 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Thank God I made my account here before they made you use a f*cebook account. Screw that I would never even have made one if they forced that on me.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   

That second line appears to mean that Google is not allowing the use of Google credentials by ATS to do the logging in.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I signed up this year before lurking/reading ATS for some time. I was able to create my account using email only, but it took some effort. I don't think members should be constrained to use a social media account to log in here; curious why the site was changed to make linked social media login the default.

posted on Aug, 10 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
I signed up this year before lurking/reading ATS for some time. I was able to create my account using email only, but it took some effort. I don't think members should be constrained to use a social media account to log in here; curious why the site was changed to make linked social media login the default.
ATS said it was done as a sort of spam control. Apparently it was a little too easy to get disposable e-mail addresses, so people could quickly get those and spam the site.

It's not impossible to make fake social media accounts, but apparently there are more hurdles in the way for those than for getting disposable e-mail accounts.

I'm surprised you were able to sign up recently with "e-mail only", but if it took some effort as you say, then maybe that effort required also serves the same spam control purpose. Back when I joined, it took no effort to sign up with an e-mail account.

Sorry I can't help with that, but it's a strange message for ATS login because ATS isn't an app. So a clue might be to try to figure out, if the error message is truly referring to an "app" then what "app" is it referring to? Also note there is no reference to ATS anywhere in the screenshot.

There were requests to develop an ATS app, and I think reddit has an app, but ATS never developed an ATS app, right?

edit on 2020810 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

top topics

join