Looking for some opinions here; hopefully from people who might have been through something like this.
My 12 year old English Pointer is sick.
The Tuesday before last she was acting very lethargic, shaking, staring off into space, not acknowledging my presence. I took her to the animal
hospital and they did some blood tests. They couldn't find the cause but said she was having an autoimmune reaction and her red blood cell count was
low. They put her on several medications; two steroids to help with the suppress the immune system and one for infection in case the reason for the
reaction was a bug bight. They also gave her pepcid for her stomach because the other medications would make her stomach upset.
The next day she was no longer lethargic to the point of staring off into space. She would get up to drink and go to the bathroom. She would eat after
some coaxing and finding foods that interested her. During the day we could get her to eat about half as much as she should eat in a day. Than through
out the day she would through up several times; mostly yellow bial but also some of the food she had eaten. She has been drinking enough water. She
was still shaking at times and lethargic. If the first day when we took her to the hospital was a 10 on a scale of how bad she was feeling; the days
following the hospital she was around a 6, 7 or 8 depending on the time of day.
This went on for several days. Some days she seemed a little better some she seemed a little worse. I had the opinion that the medicine was helping
the initial problem but that its side effects were making her stomach sick.
A few days (last Friday) we took her to her regular vet. That was a good day and the regular vet made the comment that the hospital might have over
reacted. He did his own blood work to check. Monday the blood work came back that hospital was right; but that her red blood cell count had improved.
The vet told us to continue the treatments.
She had her good days (6 on the scale) and bad days (8 on the scale). My wife was growing concerned over her eating and throwing up so she took her to
the vet yesterday to talk about it. Vet said she was looking good considering but gave us another medication for her stomach "sucralfate".
Last night and today she stopped eating all together. The vomiting has lessond and she has stopped shaking. She is still lethargic, 6 on that scale
rather 8. Because she stopped eating I decided to sorta force feed her meat baby food and peanut butter (she has always been good with peanut butter).
I put the food on a plastic spoon and scoop it into her top teeth; kinda like you would do a baby learning to eat for the first time. Because its all
mush she thungs it and down it goes. But she is not happy about this treatment. It makes me feel like I am torturing her.
Now I'm thinking maybe I'm just being selfish. Maybe I should have her put down; her quality of life has seriously diminished these last two weeks.
But than I think that "of course she not feeling well, she's sick" and that I should give the medicine time to work before I start thinking about
ending her life. I certainly wouldn't want to be put down because I had the flue and didn't feel like eating for a few days.
She is due to see her vet again in a week.
edit on Sun Aug 9 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)