It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3rd option with Hiroshima

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: washy76
Having a weapon is one thing. Having the balls to use it is another.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I am pretty sure, the Japs weren’t sure how many bombs America had. So they could have honestly. Thought the show me bomb was the only one America had and would have fought on

So the bomb had to be US made and Japanese tested. I actually saw that slogan on a t shirt

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I am pretty sure, the Japs weren’t sure how many bombs America had. So they could have honestly. Thought the show me bomb was the only one America had and would have fought on

So the bomb had to be US made and Japanese tested. I actually saw that slogan on a t shirt

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Because 75 years ago, our military leaders and government still had balls and didn't put up with bullship. They didn't go to war to make threats, they went to war to end it and come home. We could have ended the war in the Middle Least years ago with this strategy.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
A demonstration detonation before the Japanese high command was considered at the time; I believe a number of scientists involved with the Manhattan Project petitioned for one to the President, in fact.

But the US military opposed exposing its “Secret Weapon” in anything but a strategic deployment, claiming that, should the planned demonstration turn out to be a dud (they weren’t certain that the ultimate test at the Trinity site in NM would work, or even if it might cause an atmospheric chain-reaction and destroy the world!), the Japanese would be emboldened to fight harder.

Also, there were less than maybe five bombs total in the US arsenal at the time; and the bomb dropped on Nagasaki was of a design that had proved to problematic due to the intricacy with which the high explosive charges that initiated the critical mass had to be timed in sequence.

Whereas Hiroshima was destroyed by a simple “gun-type” device (nicknamed “Little Boy”), the Nagasaki device (nickname “Fat Man”) was a much more sophisticated “implosion” device.
edit on 5-8-2020 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Japan would not surrender if the bombs had not been used.
Also a quick end to the war kept the Russians from invading from the north and splitting japan in half like Germany was.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Because 75 years ago, our military leaders and government still had balls and didn't put up with bullship. They didn't go to war to make threats, they went to war to end it and come home. We could have ended the war in the Middle Least years ago with this strategy.

I wish another country could talk like this about the USA. Wtf is wrong with ppl.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
A demonstration detonation before the Japanese high command was considered at the time; I believe a number of scientists involved with the Manhattan Project petitioned for one to the President, in fact.

But the US military opposed exposing its “Secret Weapon” in anything but a strategic deployment, claiming that, should the planned demonstration turn out to be a dud (they weren’t certain that the ultimate test at the Trinity site in NM would work, or even if it might cause an atmospheric chain-reaction and destroy the world!), the Japanese would be emboldened to fight harder.

Also, there were less than maybe five bombs total in the US arsenal at the time; and the bomb dropped on Nagasaki was of a design that had proved to problematic due to the intricacy with which the high explosive charges that initiated the critical mass had to be timed in sequence.

Whereas Hiroshima was destroyed by a simple “gun-type” device (nicknamed “Little Boy”), the Nagasaki device (nicknames “Fat Man”) was a much more sophisticated “implosion” device.

The Making of the Atom Bomb an excellent book BTW has a great section about this, it was thought out long and hard before the correct decision was made,considering 75 years later and Japan and the US are great allies shows it was the correct choice. I thought the US only had fat man and little boy but this article says there 12 planned and a third would have been ready in days after the plutonium arrived on Tinian,

www.thedailybeast.com... an

LONDON — American military archives reveal that if the Japanese had not surrendered on August 15, 1945, they would have been hit by a third and potentially more powerful atomic bomb just a few days later and then, eventually, an additional barrage of up to 12 further nuclear attacks.

Documents highlighted during commemorations to mark the 70th anniversary of the bombings of Hiroshima on August 6, and Nagasaki on August 9, which forced the end of World War II, show the determination of the United States to make Japan surrender unconditionally.

In the spring of 1945, the U.S. Army set up a special target committee to debate key Japanese cities to attack as officials believed their regime had already made it perfectly clear they were not willing to surrender at any price.

Confidential reports added that “even after two atom bombs, they preferred to fight on till they are all dead. Death or glory.”

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: washy76
Regarding Hiroshima and Nagasaki and whether or not the A Bomb should have been used –option 1 no it shouldn’t it was a war crime-option 2 it brought a swift end to the war in the pacific and ultimately saved lives. But there was a third option which seems obvious...Why didn’t the US army summon the Japanese high command to observe some remote uninhabited are or maybe some few miles off Tokyo Harbour and say “Behold our power” and then ensue a near zero casualty, overwhelming demonstration of the A Bomb ? They could have dropped twelve of them just to be convincing!
O well if someone had this obvious thought 75 years ago...unless of course they wanted to see the effect of nuclear abomination on human populous...

The US only had two operational bombs at the time.

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Peeps like you got no understanding of context. The context being....Japan, Germany or Russia would have dropped a nuke in New York in a, well. New York minute.

And used it to further their totalitarian regimes. You'd a probably preferred that though sounds like.

Invite the enemy along for a show and tell!!!!?? Lmfao...the Ruskies were THERE!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyinHeadlock
True, but they didn't know how many we had. I guess they didn't really want to find out either

top topics

<< 1   >>

join