It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secession of states from The Union post-2020 Presidential Election?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Not just about politics, politicians and elections. With the apparently planned global crashing of national economies, the downward fluctuation of oil prices and it's impact on the petro-dollar, wouldn't some states realise they would be better off 'untied' from the federation and the soon to be useless WRC?

(post by murphy22 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm all for Texas seceding from the US. Like they threatened a few years ago and build a wall to keep the Yankees and the Okies OUT.

www.texasmonthly.com...

edit on 2-8-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

originally posted by: putnam6

Moderates on both sides would rise up and squash any of that BS talk.

there are no more moderate leftists / Democrats (maybe Joe Manchin)

not one national Democrat, for instance, has condemned the mob violence in Portland etc.

I wish they would split. would be better for all concerned.

I'm not talking about politicians I'm talking about the public at large. You have extremists on both sides and neither group could get enough of the real public in a state to go along with it, LOL if they could what would enforce it? Not going to be able to it legislative or revolutionary, THey don't nor should they have the numbers.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: Freeborn

And secondly: what happens when this upcoming election - well, as long as Trump doesn't get to 'delay' the vote - rips the US even further apart? What happens post-2020 election, will the states be even further distant from each other

there a possibility that there will be a move towards a break up of the USA?

Unlikely. How'd that work out last time?

Not only did it not work out last time, last time citizens identified much more with their states than this time. Even the Union Army was made up of regiments that were raised in individual states and carried their state names. Look at the monuments around Gettysburg for solid evidence of this. At the time of the Great Unpleasantness the "United States" was a collective noun with the emphasis on "States" (plural.) Today the "United States" is seen as singular, a single country. If it did not work last time it sure as hell won't this time.

And just for fun, ask your kids why so many Civil War battles took place in National parks.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

At the time of the Great Unpleasantness the "United States" was a collective noun with the emphasis on "States" (plural.) Today the "United States" is seen as singular, a single country

I also saw Nick Cage in National Treasure.

And just for fun, ask your kids why so many Civil War battles took place in National parks.

Funny how all those battles were planned to be on National Parks.

If it did not work last time it sure as hell won't this time.

No, it sure as hell won't.

Seems that with the ease of travel and widespread communication/flow of information we are far more diverse even on a state by state basis (regardless of red or blue states, generally) where a secession would not work. At all.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Which idea, or should i say conspiracy theory do you mean?

The one where he openly endorses so-called Doctor's thoughts on dangerous pathogens who also believe in demons that masturbate us in our sleep for sick kicks, of some sorts, that additionally cause venereal disease?

The one where he pretty much proposed the ingesting of bleach could cure COVID 19?

Or that the Virus will miraculously disappear?

How about his admiration and well wishes towards known beasts and wrong'yins?

There is just so many ""ideas"" and off the cuff remarks to choose from.

edit on 2-8-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Trump didnt divide....media did.

You blame a whisper while ignoring a loudspeaker
edit on 8/2/2020 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: murphy22

Which idea, or should i say conspiracy theory do you mean?

The one where he openly endorses so-called Doctor's thoughts on dangerous pathogens who also believe in demons that masturbate us in our sleep for sick kicks, of some sorts, that additionally cause venereal disease?

The one where he pretty much proposed the ingesting of bleach could cure COVID 19?

Or that the Virus will miraculously disappear?

How about his admiration and well wishes towards known beasts and wrong'yins?

There is just so many ""ideas"" and off the cuff remarks to choose from.

Did he spend 3 years and tens of millions of dollars investigating those "theories"?

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: schuyler

At the time of the Great Unpleasantness the "United States" was a collective noun with the emphasis on "States" (plural.) Today the "United States" is seen as singular, a single country

I also saw Nick Cage in National Treasure.

Yeah, but he didn't invent it. He stole it just like I did. As far as I can tell it first came out in the late 1800's.

Foote's tidy narrative is just a little too tidy, reiterating conventional wisdom that has been floating around since a couple of decades after the end of the Civil War. In 1887, a Washington Post writer declared that the Civil War "settled forever the question of grammar... The surrender of Mr. Davis and Gen. Lee meant a transition from the plural to the singular." Four years later, clergyman G. H. Emerson wrote that "the change from the plural to the singular was vital, though it has taken a War of Rebellion to make the difference unmistakable." And in 1909, classics scholar and former Confederate soldier Basil Lanneau Gildersleeve stated, in a widely quoted lecture, "It was a point of grammatical concord which was at the bottom of the Civil War — 'United States are,' said one, 'United States is,' said another."

Source

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

There is no way that black sharpie Trump used to modify maps and lie about hurricane trajectories cost 10s of millions of dollars.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Well trying to delay the election suggests Trump's crapping his breeks.
And his suggestion that he would be unwilling to accept the results down to imaginary voter mail fraud is a complete and utter crock of crap.
But i imagine the United States will remain somewhat intact.

I feel pretty much the same, intact, but maybe different too, let's face it, the pandemic has made institutional politics irrelevant, in the same way as it has made daily life values irrelevant, it's a chilling thought, when you realise that for thousands of years you could bury your loved ones, and mourn them, for whatever reason, now it's bad karma, even though there has been some relaxation...which hasn't been working so well anyway. You could go to your job, career, dedication, whatever, now you can't..unless someone says so..those are facts, not a statement of facts, and there is no sympathy there at all.

I do think thought the vast majority of people have empathy in these kinds of circumstance, even when it's out of their control, that's the thing that will keep them together in the if expressed widely.
Empathy, to me is a winner at the end of the day....Trump is not one of those people.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I think it tells us without question, the MSM can drive opinions and manufacture an entire narrative and make it's viewers believe it, and even when it's proven to have been a lie, they still cling to lies they were told but just aren't smart enough to understand why.

And none of that requires you to believe in the goodness or badness of any political party. But to make it alright, you have to sell your soul. I hope the cost is fair and equitable to all.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

No, but Mueller did, for a net total of zero results. Flynn's charges are in the process of being dropped, Stone had his sentence commuted.

By the way, who put the FBI up to a 6AM raid on a 60 year old man, while tipping off CNN so they can be there with a full crew? Oh, that's right, the same waste of tens of millions of tax dollars and 3 years of our time.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Thats one of the things that apparently sets us apart from the other animals.

That being our ability to empathize with others.

Well that and our large brain to body weight cranial capacity plus apposable appendages.

As to Trump, the only empathy i can see him display is for himself.

Self-kindness, common humanity, and mindfulness not exactly being in the Mans skillset nor toolbag.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlysyn

Funny how the mud just slides off these people eh?

The Penguin had his sentence commuted???

Someone fire up the Bat-signal for the good it will do.

As to a waste of tens of millions of dollars, what about that wall......eh i mean fence, some of which is already falling apart, that's allegedly a few 100 miles long, when it should have been thousands of miles long, impregnable and 100ft tall, and paid for by Mexico?

Where is that now?

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
a reply to: ElGoobero

A "moderate", is the lowest kind of slime that exists and the sure sign of a lazy mind. They stand for nothing! Because they don't want to work to uphold a standard. And can't be, as an individual, relied. upon.
There is right, or wrong! Not "kinda".

Moderates are people that are susceptible to "advertising" and facial expressions. They're useful idiots.

Reagan, Bill Clinton and JFK were moderates. You must truly hate them I'm guessing.

Actually we moderates stand for a lot of things. Most people are moderate in fact. The hard core Left and Right are the source of all the gridlock and all the crazies.

Perhaps split the country into sections, Left, Right and Moderate Independents? Split based on real numbers. That way Moderates would get most of the land.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Yeah I get what you are saying, I think it is possible. Trump seems like he would push for it. He is deliberately stoking division, he does it on purpose.

Look at how divided our news media is. People are on two different pages. If Trump loses, he is already setting the stage to contest the legitimacy of the election.

It is also possible that Russia could hack voting machines, making the elections illegitimate, and that Trump would not let that be investigated or brought to light easily.

edit on 02pmSun, 02 Aug 2020 22:07:34 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2020 @ 06:21 AM
link   
That's definitely a blurred whale jumping out of the water.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join