It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack of the Dead - Russians Don't Give Up

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
"Attack of the Dead" is a startling and little-known fact in the United States that occurred during the First World War in 1915 in Russia. These events are still an example of an incredible feat and triumph of the power of Faith and the defense of the Fatherland.

"Attack of the Dead" is traditionally called the counterattack of the 13th company of the 226th Zemlyansky regiment when repelling the German gas attack on July 24 (August 6) 1915, which became just one of the episodes of the long defense of the Osovets fortress during the First World War.

"A horrifying story about a counterattack by the Russian infantry" - this is how the American edition of We Are The Mighty described those events, which devoted an article to "the attack of the dead."

The German command ordered the storming of the Russian fortress with 14 infantry battalions supported by sappers and artillery. On the Russian side, the forward position was occupied by five companies of the 226th Infantry Zemlyansky Regiment and four companies of militias - a total of about 900 people.

During the assault, it was decided to use not only artillery, but also poison gas - a mixture of chlorine with bromine. Its damaging effect is based on the synthesis of hydrochloric acid upon contact of a gas with water or water vapor. This leads to irritation and burns. With prolonged inhalation, acid builds up in the lungs and eats away, ultimately leading to death. The defenders tried to defend themselves by wrapping their faces with wet rags, but this was not enough, and soon the defenders of the fortress felt the effect of the asphyxiant gas.

Despite heavy losses and severe chemical burns, Russian soldiers not only remained in their positions - they decided to launch a counterattack. They remained, according to various sources, from 60 to 100 people.

Approaching the Russian positions, the Germans saw how the soldiers, who could barely keep their feet, wrapped in bloody rags, launched a counterattack. This so amazed the heavily outnumbered attackers that they rushed back. The "dead" were supported by the artillery of the fortress. In panic, many of the Germans who fled died on their own barbed wire.

A few weeks later, the Germans still managed to move forward, but by that time the garrison was evacuated, and the fortress itself was destroyed.

I would like to present you, dear forum members, a film about this event. English subtitles available.

The famous Swedish rock band Sabaton dedicated the events around the Osovets fortress and the "attack of the dead"

A cover of this song was released in Russian by Radio Tapok

The video about "attack of the dead" was filmed based on the composition of the Russian cult rock group "Aria" by their fan club.

But the most heartfelt, in my opinion, performance of the song about the "attack of the dead" was the song of a young Russian girl Varvara Strzhak "The Russians Don't Give Up".

Thank you if you liked my post.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Wow - that short film as just as much pathos as any two-hour feature film. To die like that is utterly heroic, and I was glad to see that the film displayed the humanity of the Germans, as so many movies do not.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short
Wow - that short film as just as much pathos as any two-hour feature film. To die like that is utterly heroic, and I was glad to see that the film displayed the humanity of the Germans, as so many movies do not.

That's because it was WWI Germans, not WWII Nazis on Pervitin.

Remember the story about the Allies and Germans having a Christmas get together after hearing each others carols in the trenches or something like that?

Awesome story, the takeaway: Russians are badass

The music: Painful

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

I saw this film a while ago. Yes, very gritty action. Russian soldiers tough as nails, no exaggeration there.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Did you guys give up on communism or did it give up on trying to make you good communists?

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Did you guys give up on communism or did it give up on trying to make you good communists?

Communism is now in Europe and almost in the United States. In Russia, these bloody experiments have ended.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Commies in America should stock up on ammo.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Unfortunately, that's what they do.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Don't we all?

originally posted by: RussianTroll

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Don't we all?

There is nothing worse than a civil war. Believe me, my friend, the Russians have already passed it. Don't let this happen!

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I see no civil war coming.

Violent riots? Roger Roger.

Saul Alinskys tactics being used.

reply to: RussianTroll

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Don't we all?

There is nothing worse than a civil war. Believe me, my friend, the Russians have already passed it. Don't let this happen!

Sounds like the Russians are the best thing on Earth. The toughest fighters, most evolved society, closest to covid-19 vaccination, and they even won the Eurovision contest with a group that has sick dance moves.

How does one.. become Russian? Do they allow Americans to immigrate and eventually get citizenship?

Because I want to go there and be one.
edit on 2-8-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

There are many stories in Russia, how tens of thousands of Europeans, Boers, Brazilians, Argentines and Americans come and receive Russian citizenship.
I believe, with all due respect, that you need to be a patriot of your homeland and stay at home, try to improve life there. And to be friends with neighbors.
The Russians have a proverb: "Where was born - there it came in handy."

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   

a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

There are many stories in Russia, how tens of thousands of Europeans, Boers, Brazilians, Argentines and Americans come and receive Russian citizenship.
I believe, with all due respect, that you need to be a patriot of your homeland and stay at home, try to improve life there. And to be friends with neighbors.
The Russians have a proverb: "Where was born - there it came in handy."

I've been doing alot of that staying at home because of the pandemic.

Improve life here? Screw these people. Half of them vote for the party that opposes mine. Liberal Communists are going to take over with Joe Biden and their Antifa army. I dont want to be a citizen anymore.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

This is an extremely insightful comment. An accurate perspective.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I know a dude that lived in Russia (post Soviet) for 15 years. Hate that asshole with a passion, but he has shared interesting Russian proverbs that ive enjoyed.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I know a dude that lived in Russia (post Soviet) for 15 years. Hate that asshole with a passion, but he has shared interesting Russian proverbs that ive enjoyed.

It is always interesting to get to know another culture. I'm also interested in communicating on the forum. We are all different, but human properties are the same.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Russian in particular, since the cold war made russia kind of taboo, its a blind spot for a lot of Americans.

But yeah...we are all the same. Turns out Russia (and Ukraine) have a ton of rednecks just like we do.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yes, of course, there are cattle everywhere and among all peoples. Recently, due to religious beliefs, I have been trying to learn to be kind to them. So far it turns out badly.

posted on Aug, 2 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Lmao

Its our differences that amuse us, and our similarities that unite

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join