It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PATREON just got rekt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Patreon just lost an injunction they filed in court on over 70 arbitrations. It started with Patreon censoring/gatekeeping/canceling one of its creators. I do not know the creator but I think he was right-wing. In pateons TOC people could not sue before going to arbitration so that is exactly what the creator did with over 70 of his subscribers. The way TOC was set up they had to be done individually, but this backfired on the company because the legal fees they would incur would be in the hundreds of thousands into the millions for individual arbitration so they filed an injunction.

Where they screwed up badly was where they changed the TOC just days after arbitration was filed and tried to pass it off in the injunction as the terms were old agreements. It was sneaky BS that was caught and discarded by the judge. Their new TOC closes all avenues of filing arbitration by forcing the filer to incur all costs the new rules also make it so subscribers can not file. There is more to it but that is the gist of it.

Now Patreon has to address all the arbitration claims and from my understanding win or lose this is going to hurt the company badly. It may even force them to shut down. If arbitration goes in the favor of the plaintiffs which is more likely after the stunt Patreon pulled with the TOC I don't foresee the company existing for much longer. Even if they get past this there are many other creators that have been canceled by them that can take this same path to get back at Patreon.

Censorship is the enemy of the people and a really bad business model.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I thought businesses could elect to refuse service for whatever reason they want?

Like those bakery's refusing to make cakes for gay weddings..

Therefore Patreon should be allowed to refuse service to right wing radicals

+23 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
I thought businesses could elect to refuse service for whatever reason they want?

You can, but you cannot violate any legal contract you already have with your clients. That's got nothing to do with censorship, it's just basic civil law.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I forgot to add the part about the legal contracts. Good catch. They do talk about that in the videos.

The question now is, can this method be used against other tech companies. Some think it can and others dissagree.

I have only been following some of the goings on with patreon because I subscribe to a couple novelests. I don't know if they have censored other novelests but I do know they have done so to many comic artists. There is some kind of SJW war going on against authors of some comics.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

They changed the rules on the fly, which one of the arguments is that by donating on a auto draft is considered a contract between the payer and the recipient.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: burdman30ott6
The question now is, can this method be used against other tech companies. Some think it can and others dissagree.

Some, perhaps, but not likely where entities like Facebook and even Youtube are concerned. Patreon exists as basically a financial intermediary, meaning they are directly involved with money changing hands. A Patreon account involves a direct contract stating that Patreon WILL DO XYZ in exchange for a percentage of money the subscriber brings in. That makes it nearly impossible for Patreon to alter contract terms on the fly without express consent of both parties involved. Patreon wouldn't exist without every user experiencing some sort of monetary exchange. Other social media sites have scores of users who never see a dime and never pay a dime.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Gotta respect them contracts. Good for them.
Patreon got woke...guess the next step is to go broke.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

Are you really trying to defend patreon just because you hate conservatives?

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I can't help but find it a bit funny. They are bassicly useing the same tactics cancel culture does to get people removed, except they are doing it through the legal system and it is costly.

They learned their methods and are doing a better job of it.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Apparently, something similar happened with Door Dash.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Why dont people make simple websites and host their videos on their and add a donation button?

Idk

new topics

top topics

join