It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Makoko, Nigeria. The World's Largest Floating Village

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I found an interesting place in Africa while browsing the Web. This place is called Makoko: it's the world's largest floating village and it rests in Lagos Lagoon in Nigeria. It's sometimes referred to as the Venice of Africa because the majority of it sits on stilts. It's an interesting place with an interesting people, however, it's a slum due to neglect and mistreatment by political figures in Lagos. The main problem is that Makoko serves as a dumping ground for trash and waste from the mainland of Lagos so it's understandably very polluted. Another problem is an education system that's not very strong or present.

Established in the 19th century, much of Makoko rests in structures constructed on stilts above Lagos Lagoon. Makoko is a neighbouring community to Iwaya on the waterfront and Oko Baba. In July 2012, Lagos State government under the governorship of Babatunde Fashola ordered that the stilts on the Iwaya/Makoko waterfront be demolished and dozens of stilts were demolished within 72 hours of notice to the residents. Nearly 3,000 people lost their homes to the demolition exercise. Two months after the partial demolition, a Serac housing affiliate known as the Urban Spaces Innovation developed a regeneration plan for Makoko that would bring the community together with academics, non-profits, and international consultants. The plan was submitted to the Lagos State Ministry of Urban and Physical Planning in January 2014.

Makoko is sometimes referred to as the "Venice of Africa". Its population is considered to be 85,840; however, the area was not officially counted as part of the 2007 census and the population has been estimated to be much higher.

Interesting place right, ATS? I didn't know that this place existed; nonetheless, any water cities outside of Venice, Ital;y. It's a shame that politicians are so corrupt in parts of Africa. This place could be a worldwide attraction instead of an eyesore. The young man in charge seems to have a good heart. Hopefully, he can make the necessary positive changes there. What say you, ATS? Ever heard of this place?
edit on 31-7-2020 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
When I was working there, we would rent one of the local boats, then ride through the lagoon to the mangrove swamps and beyond to some amazing deserted tropical beaches. Each beach was "managed" by a local village. After you had been there a few minutes, a few polite villagers would magically appear selling ice cold beer and various trinkets. Had some good times there.
Unfortunately the boat people living in the village in Lagos lagoon are really poor and it was not a safe or desirable place to go. I remember passing half-submerged ships in the harbour (a legacy of the bloody civil war), and there were people living in the wrecks.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Lol comparing Venice to a floating rubbish dump

Airlines are opening up in 2022. Prebook yourself a flight

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: deltaalphanovember
When I was working there, we would rent one of the local boats, then ride through the lagoon to the mangrove swamps and beyond to some amazing deserted tropical beaches. Each beach was "managed" by a local village. After you had been there a few minutes, a few polite villagers would magically appear selling ice cold beer and various trinkets. Had some good times there.
Unfortunately the boat people living in the village in Lagos lagoon are really poor and it was not a safe or desirable place to go. I remember passing half-submerged ships in the harbour (a legacy of the bloody civil war), and there were people living in the wrecks.

So, you've been there. Cool! Thanks for your input! It seems like a magical place but there must be a lot of crime due to the poverty there.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Lol comparing Venice to a floating rubbish dump

Airlines are opening up in 2022. Prebook yourself a flight

If you watched the video or even read my paragraph then you'd know that the trash isn't theirs; it's from mainland Lagos.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

So, you've been there. Cool! Thanks for your input! It seems like a magical place but there must be a lot of crime due to the poverty there.

We always went around with "protection" or a local. Lagos is not generally a place I would recommend as a tourist destination. Problem is severe overcrowding/over-population, with few job opportunities, but university is/was free so generally your average Nigerian is quite educated. I made some good friends in the year I was there - best way to experience a culture is when you are invited into a local's home as an equal.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Meh. Looks like it would if I built a lot of my old rickety sheds on stilts in Lake Bistineau. The water is murky and nasty and the village looks disgusting. That's not a dig at how you feel about it, I just don't like it (my opinion). Maybe if the shacks were nice and the water was blue and clear then it would be different.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Meh. Looks like it would if I built a lot of my old rickety sheds on stilts in Lake Bistineau. The water is murky and nasty and the village looks disgusting. That's not a dig at how you feel about it, I just don't like it (my opinion). Maybe if the shacks were nice and the water was blue and clear then it would be different.

I got you. It's a slum and there's no denying that. There's a lot of potential for this to be a thriving community but it's not due to political neglect.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Yep, there is no plumbing and 100's of thousands of people, so that water is very polluted and smelly. Also, do not ever, ever eat the street food like this guy does in the video. Our Westernised stomachs can not handle it.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: deltaalphanovember

Uh-oh! No plumbing? I wondered about that. Yet, he did say in the video that the pollution isn't from Makoko. I suppose their human waste is a separate issue from just normal pollution due to runoff and industrial waste.. I guess I shouldn't have conflated the two.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

I got you. It's a slum and there's no denying that. There's a lot of potential for this to be a thriving community but it's not and it's due to political neglect.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I wish there was a way to convey the smell down there. It’s kind of a mix between very smelly baby diapers and rotten fish. I had to drive past it on my way into lagos each day, and the smell was greeting me miles before Makoko even came into sight.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I found this article.

This is a very interesting place, challenging many established ideas.

Worth a read.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Good mate

Nice little bit of adventure outside my neck of the woods.

Enjoyed the video.

Kind regards,

Bally

top topics

join