It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is guilt and how did it evolve?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Why is it that when we do something towards someone else there is the possibility of feeling guilt? Howcome some humans are wired with morals they believe in and have emotional reactions towards them. It's like they have a supreme moral, love or something and it controls them yet it's possible for them to neglect it.

What on earth are we?

I wished I was normal. (Don't get me started on this)

Sorry for the short OP.
edit on 31-7-2020 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

i can only speak for myself but i only feel guilt when i know ive done an injustice to another. basically if u break the golden rule your going to feel guilt. the scary thing is when people can break it and they feel nothing. the difference between man and the beast...?

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 03:48 AM
link   

we are spiritual beings on a physical journey...

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Ok, but is has nothing to do with a god?

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Guilt is caused by the belief that what occured, could have occurred differently.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance

I wished I was normal. (Don't get me started on this)

What is normal?
All humans are all the same..... unique 😍
edit on 31-7-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I was about 5 years old when my mum first taught me about guilt. Got into a fight at school that day. How would it feel if I was the other person?

Just because our sensors are limited to the body does not mean our actions are. Psycho and sociopaths do what they do by disconnecting, ignoring or just not consider the full impacts of their actions. They are self absorbed in themselves and only consider what works for them in their actions.

For a psycho to harm or injure another, they fail to accept or understand the pain in others is the same as the pain they would experience in a similar situation. It is the risk of getting caught and how this will make their life more difficult that discourages them from abusive behaviour.

When I try and define my place with god, I see it in my actions and the consequences of my work. For all these people that have lost touch with god, they have also lost touch with the implications of their actions.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance
a reply to: Akragon

Ok, but is has nothing to do with a god?

who said that?

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I think guilt goes hand in hand with the capacity to feel empathy. We inwardly experience what it would feel like to be the recipient of whatever we did to another person. And it doesn't feel good. And to know that we caused that feeling in another person is hard to carry.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Guilt happens for you to learn not to repeat what you regretted doing. Some do really bad things but feel no guilt and others hit themselves with ninetails because they [are masochists] are guilty for something because of religion.
Feelings aren't anything mysterious.
It's a variety of positive or negative reactions to the release of certain chemicals.
Ultimately it reacts to your personal opinions about things. First you do an action, then you think about it. If you didn't like it and it harmed someone your heart starts racing and you'll get anxiety, this is a negative experience to a personal decision. Guilt is a horrible, horrible thing when you have it as part of a mental illness.
So that you actually didn't do anything outrageous but you believe you did and it eats you alive.

I really don't know where a god would need to come into such a system. It runs itself.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666
What if you feel guilty for breaking your diet by not going to the gym and eating that big piece of cake instead?
😊

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

What if what ifs.
......havent you always preached there is only the "now'

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

I think guilt goes hand in hand with the capacity to feel empathy. We inwardly experience what it would feel like to be the recipient of whatever we did to another person. And it doesn't feel good. And to know that we caused that feeling in another person is hard to carry.

This, entirely. It's basically the golden rule mixed with emotions and looking within.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Psychopath's have a distinct lack of or even a complete absence of Empathy and compassion as well usually as any sense of guilt.

This makes them both far more prone to harm other's in pursuit of there own interests and in fact a danger to all around them.

Empathy is an essential root human ability and emotion, from it and into it flow compassion, mercy, love, kindness and charity.

Guilt is something all people that are not psychopathic, it is a feeling of knowing you have done wrong, of knowing you have deprived someone else or harmed them, we are complex being's we can even feel guilt about fighting someone whom is attacking us, guilt when we are the victim's of someone else attack's such as woman feel when they have been raped and can also blame ourselves wrongly at time's.

Imagine an evil psychopath before God, no guilt in it's heart and a good man whom has done little of anything wrong yet feel's as guilty as if all the world's sin's were his own.

God's children CAN feel guilt, Compassion, Empathy etc the devil's children, well I am really not sure what they can feel.

I feel guilt if I do anything wrong and I felt guilt when I was jumped and had head injury's because I chose not to defend myself for fear I would hurt THEM (I was drunk, drunk as a skunk but really anyone with any common sense would have throttled them in the same situation I mean there were only six of them and one of me and I was bigger and stronger so by right's should have beaten them into a pulp, try being drunk for two years with delayed concussion, falling over your feet all the time, trouble sleeping, walking into door's and even wall's and slurred speech, not nice yet I felt guilty as if it was my fault), it's human and at least you know you are human not a dead inside person, pain and guilt may make you want to run away but no emotions at all is like being in hell.

There is a worse state to be in than guilt, one that suppresses your emotions, your brain activity and put's you into gloom and a sense of endless sorrow and insecurity, depression.

edit on 31-7-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

That would be feeling guilty for what you do to yourself. Isn't guilt always like that, that you feel what you've done to yourself?

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Guilt always involves things we have done, mistakes. it helps act like an error correcting code.

There are implications to ourself and others depending on the mistake. Sometimes we have control of the events around the mistake, sometimes we do not. Feeling of guilt can still be present in either case.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

We should value humanity for the mistakes it makes cause it doing good is a real achievement.

Expect the worse.

We should expect errors and be open to forgiveness. Expect wars and problems, solve them and enjoy the good times.

Jesus said not to judge others, that's not because they are perfect but because they make mistakes.

If I could I'd star this post myself.
edit on 1-8-2020 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Narcissists also lack empathy
Great post

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Oh, yes, we should not abandon our empathy for the narcissist either.

posted on Aug, 1 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: LABTECH767

Narcissists also lack empathy
Great post

Tends to go hand in hand with psychopathic, basically your average psycho has not empathy for others and so an extreme they tend to be more narcissistic as a consequence of that.

But not all narcissistic people are psycho's while the other way around may be slightly less true and psycho's are far more likely to be narcissistic with extreme selfish trait's spurred by there lack of empathic behavioural responses.

You hurt someone, you feel bad, you may even worry about them, even if you lose your tempter and they provoked you it may be that you feel guilty over defending yourself and even if you disliked them intensely you may not have wanted to do them any harm.

A psycho has no such safeguards upon there behaviour and so they will act in a completely selfish manner as a result, makes me wonder if child abusers are also psychopathic narcissists since they apparently can not see anything wrong in what they do to a child while to a sane mentally healthy person there actions are utterly revolting and incomprehensible.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join