It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Saved NO CO2 Hydrogen fuel is to Become an Integral part of the EU’s energy system by 2030

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Remember the USA development of the Hydrogen bomb? ZERO Carbon Emission. ZERO

This is a on the table hot one as the technology has evolved to the point that this dangerous gas can now be handled in a safe manner and guess what. NO CO2 footprint! I used to work at Air Products and Chemicals back in the day as an engineer. We manufactured the Hydrogen Tanker Trailers. The process was basically wrapping the internal stainless steel tank [ASME Code pressure vessel] with the same insulation used by NASA; Apollo's Lunar lander. That was a very very long time ago and very old technology. I can imagine where they are today. My last touch in that type of industry was in 2012 manufacturing Fuel Cells the size of a semi trailer. In my opinion man will save the earth via hydrogen. Its not an if question but when

Here's the story:

Hydrogen strategy

Hydrogen strategy In an integrated energy system, hydrogen can support the decarbonisation of industry, transport, power generation and buildings across Europe. The EU Hydrogen Strategy addresses how to transform this potential into reality, through investments, regulation, market creation and research and innovation. Hydrogen can power sectors that are not suitable for electrification and provide storage to balance variable renewable energy flows, but this can only be achieved with coordinated action between the public and private sector, at EU level. The priority is to develop renewable hydrogen, produced using mainly wind and solar energy. However, in the short and medium term other forms of low-carbon hydrogen are needed to rapidly reduce emissions and support the development of a viable marke

Here's Russia's take on it

Hydrogen to challenge Russian gas at its biggest market within 15-30 years, say experts

Hydrogen cannot compete with traditional energy sources in terms of the cost now, whereas it will inevitably challenge them within 15-30 years, experts suggest. That is why Russia, as a potentially large player on that market, has to think about the development of required technologies to get into the changing energy landscape of its largest gas buyer. First attempts to use hydrogen as an energy source were made long ago. However, amid the intent of the European Union to slash carbon footprint to zero by 2050, hydrogen energy is experiencing another resurgence.

Guess what, this will work.

Hydrogen fuel is a zero-emission fuel burned with oxygen. It can be used in fuel cells or internal combustion engines. It has begun to be used in commercial fuel cell vehicles, such as passenger cars, and has been used in fuel cell buses for many years. It is also used as a fuel for spacecraft propulsion. As of 2018, the majority of hydrogen (∼95%) is produced from fossil fuels by steam reforming or partial oxidation of methane and coal gasification with only a small quantity by newer routes such as biomass gasification or electrolysis of water[1][2] or solar thermochemistry[3] a solar fuel, with no carbon emissions. Hydrogen is found in the first group and first period in the periodic table, i.e. it is the lightest and first element on the periodic table. Since the weight of hydrogen is less than air, it rises in the atmosphere and is therefore rarely found in its pure form, H2.[4] In a flame of pure hydrogen gas, burning in air, the hydrogen (H2) reacts with oxygen (O2) to form water (H2O) and releases energy. 2H2 (g) + O2 (g) → 2H2O (g) + energy If carried out in atmospheric air instead of pure oxygen, as is usually the case, hydrogen combustion may yield small amounts of nitrogen oxides, along with the water vapor. The energy released enables hydrogen to act as a fuel. In an electrochemical cell, that energy can be used with relatively high efficiency. If it is used simply for heat, the usual thermodynamics limits on the thermal efficiency apply. Hydrogen is usually considered an energy carrier, like electricity, as it must be produced from a primary energy source such as solar energy, biomass, electricity (e.g. in the form of solar PV or via wind turbines), or hydrocarbons such as natural gas or coal.[5] Conventional hydrogen production using natural gas induces significant environmental impacts; as with the use of any hydrocarbon, carbon dioxide is emitted.[6] At the same time, the addition of 20% of hydrogen (an optimal share that does not affect gas pipes and appliances) to natural gas can reduce CO2 emissions caused by heating and cooking.[7]

Here's another good read:

Heavy-Du ty Hydrogen: Fuel Cell Trains And Trucks Power Up For The 2020s
edit on 30-7-2020 by Waterglass because: added

edit on 30-7-2020 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 30-7-2020 by Waterglass because: header

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

LOL, I tried to get exited about this fuel option a while back, but got tired of all the "science" guys blasting me for wanting a fuel that costs more to make and uses more carbon based emissions to created than other options. I even envisioned using solar power to supply the charge needed for molecule separation, but was again told it would never work.

So before they show up, I'll just say, I was told this could never work.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

When I worked at APC Hydrogen was cheap to make. It should be cheaper today. Air Products, Praxair and others make it at their air separation plants.

Fuel cells can run on hydrogen. I envision that huge fuel cell plants will be located near a Air Separation Plant and connect to the grid; anywhere in the world.

My entire take on the world has now changed overnight. I am no longer doom or gloom. Man has finally done it. No need to also go to Georgia Guide stone's population level. None.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So we swap CO2 (plant food) for water vapor ( another greenhouse gas). Way to go! Yay!

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

This will work. I spent years in the industry along with automotive. I never knew they evolved to this point as I am out of that sector and stumbled on the article. You can bet on it.

Earth is fooking saved.

Trump should push it into his campaign. Knock out punch to AOC.

All of those climate change guys can keep on rocking as the forests, water and sewage needs to be addressed.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles are here to stay.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. But after being shut down so harshly and often, I just stopped worrying about it. The science folk are certain all that we know about hydrogen is already written in stone and it's never going to replace petrol.

But something that emits water as it's by product would be a nice clean way to travel. And since it's not a gas, it won't float up to the atmosphere and screw with it.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Nah they cant stop it. Just like Trump bitch slapped Big Pharma yesterday. History does repeat itself and technology throughout the ages always trumps criminal cabals or entities. Buggy whips, etc.

Here's the link:

SmartFuel® Hydrogen Energy

Same guys who supplied NASA with there hydrogen for there Gemini and Apollo rockets

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   

You are correct.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I thought the storage was the biggest problem. No matter what container you put hydrogen in, it leaks because it is the smallest atom and molecule. It will seep between the molecules of the container.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

The pressure vessel tanker trailers back in the early 1990's a hydrogen tanker could maintain liquid at its below zero temperature in a Saudi Arabia desert for 28 days before the tanker began to out gas to atmosphere via the safety relieve valves.

To exist as a liquid, H2 must be cooled below its critical point of 33 K. However, for it to be in a fully liquid state at atmospheric pressure, H2 needs to be cooled to 20.28 K (−252.87 °C; −423.17 °F)

Cryogenic Insulation

I was Supervisor for them. The thermal blanket was NASA engineered super insulation wrapped many many times. I cant give that number out.

Solly to all but in my opine the Earth will be just fine. Its a fooking game changer. Just need to work on water and sewage and maintaining forests.

edit on 30-7-2020 by Waterglass because: added link

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
But something that emits water as it's by product would be a nice clean way to travel. And since it's not a gas, it won't float up to the atmosphere and screw with it.

Ya know, I could never figure that out. CO2 is heavier than air. How in the hell can it float up into the atmosphere? I can say the same thing about Freon.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Last week I saw this on Euronews.

Full steam ahead: hydrogen train boosted by EU climate goals

That train has been running on fuel cells for almost two years, so they now must have lots of data on what they need to change to make it better.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I haven't done the math but you may be onto something. Back in the day prior to mans existence, the CO2 levels on earth were extremely high. Way higher than today.

Dinosaur Era Had 5 Times Today's CO2

So, back then the CO2 was high and the Dinosaurs were huge. So if the CO2 actually hangs around at the tree level or ground we have all these obese people running around today? Is that it along with the genetic foods and hormones in the meat and milk. My PhD brother in Genetic Engineering discussed with his wife why many girls are now heavenly endowed with huge boobs. They surmised its the milk and meats.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Excellent, I never knew that the hydrogen industry is that far along. Yes, big business will save the earth from CO2 and those in our government who are pushing propaganda for NO planes, trains, automobiles and ships are simply lying to the American people. The USA mainstream media is also complicit. Simply look at the EU.

I used to work in the department that manufactured Tanker Trailers for hauling liquid hydrogen at -457 F degrees below zero. That liquid would remain so for 28 days until it began to percolate into a gas and the safety relief valves would release it into the atmosphere. That was back in the 1990's. Ever hear of any blowing up?

Air Products announces $5bn renewable hydrogen to ammonia investment

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   
A year back I stumbled upon an article stating that a solar cell was developped, producing hydrogen directly out of sunlight. I guess this tech will someday help to transit to a real sustainable hydrogen powered energy system.

A cheaper, cleaner and more sustainable way of making hydrogen fuel from water using sunlight is step closer, thanks to new research.
link

It seems the EU is looking past all electric and betting on the real gamechanger.

new topics

top topics

join