It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump suggests delay to 2020 US presidential election

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Donald Trump has suggested November's presidential election be postponed, saying increased postal voting could lead to fraud and inaccurate results.

He floated a delay until people could "properly, securely and safely" vote.

There is little evidence to support Mr Trump's claims but he has long railed against mail-in voting which he has said would be susceptible to fraud.

Donald Trump suggests delay to 2020 US presidential election

I think this opens up a interesting debate about the upcoming election and one that I think would make for a interesting debate on ATS.

Trump has proposed a delay to the 2020 presidential race

My understanding is that he has the power to do this technically but that to my knowledge its never been done and that it would be rather difficult.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Donald Trump has suggested November's presidential election be postponed, saying increased postal voting could lead to fraud and inaccurate results.

I can't disagree with him. Doesn't matter who you vote for, a sane person can't deny that he's right.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
My understanding is that he has the power to do this technically...

He does not, it requires the Congress and President or all 50 states acting independently.

Additionally, you are only going to get a month or two postponement even if they do agree since the President is officially not the President by decree of the Constitution at noon on January 20th, 2021.

edit on 30-7-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

He does not and this topic has been posted already.

ahhh interesting, I thought I had read somewhere that it was technically possible for him to do it.

Could you explain to me how he can't do it.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity .

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It should be delayed until democrats find a decent candidate.

... If such a thing could be possible.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

See my edit, it looks like the other thread is gone.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
It should be delayed until democrats find a decent candidate.

... If such a thing could be possible.

I would assume though that delaying it wouldn't change their candidate.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Thank you for an accurate title and interestingly, no bias of any sort.

I'm on the fence with this and will see what others think.

However, my issue, as well as his, are mail in voting do result in errors and in some cases fraud. I think delays and errors contribute significantly, moreso then fraud, but still, it wholly undesired and the Democrat push for it comes off suspect.

Suspect? When we can now go out to local grocery stores, restaurants and ice cream shops, all packed, so long as you social distance and wear a mask.

No, I think if they wanted a full proof solution, they would resort to something better than mail in voting, I can't depend on USPS for regular mail, let alone MY VOTE.

I get it tho, there are probably some technicals in there I'm probably not considering, who knows.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Why do we need universal mail in voting? We already have mail in voting for anyone who wants it for any reason, it is called absentee voting.

So with the universal mail in voting, you would have to prohibit ANY in person voting. It would have to be 100% mail in. Otherwise, imaging the amount of people who would vote in person and then also submit the mail in. It would cause a total mess trying to sift through and eliminate the duplicate votes.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

ahhh cool thanks for that.

I was also thinking that if he was to delay it for say 6 months hypothetically, then technically he would serve for more than 8 years if he was to win so that could also complicate things.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   

He does have those question marks in the tweet, which suggests he isn't saying it's happening, only that he wonders if it should. Of course no, it should not, and it's dumb to ask, but then, Trump has made some questionable tweets before, so this ins't new at all.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

One of the reasons is mail in voting.
I have a big problem with that.
If it has been OK for soldiers, AND politicians, etc, it should be OK for everyone.
If there is fraud (which studies show there hasn't been a lot)
Then things should be done to fix it.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   

out of curiosity....

Lets say he said he is gong to postpone it for a year.

What would your thoughts be.

link   

I was also thinking that if he was to delay it for say 6 months hypothetically, then technically he would serve for more than 8 years if he was to win so that could also complicate things.

No, he's out on January 20th of next year even if he wins. He would need to get sworn back in again regardless. The President stops being the President on that date.

It would be funny if he dicked around though, then we'd have President Nancy Pelosi until the rest of the dummies could figure out which bozo to make President.

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

He does not, it requires the Congress and President or all 50 states acting independently.

Additionally, you are only going to get a month or two postponement even if they do agree since the President is officially not the President by decree of the Constitution at noon on January 20th, 2021.

What if war with China officially starts?

link   
It's just a mixed message as well. The Trump campaign has sent out emails encouraging voters to get their mail in ballots, yet it is an issue if more people than normal use mail in ballots? You would think the campaign would not encourage it, if it was so rife for fraud.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
There have been 1,285 proven cases of voter fraud in the last 20 years after 250,000,000 cases of votes cast by mail.

If 1,285 people died from covid out of 250,000,000 you wouldn't care in the least.

If kids can go back to school after 150,000 deaths , you can vote by mail after 1,285 cases of fraud.

link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

One of the reasons is mail in voting.
I have a big problem with that.
If it has been OK for soldiers, AND politicians, etc, it should be OK for everyone.
If there is fraud (which studies show there hasn't been a lot)
Then things should be done to fix it.

This is a good point, if there is fraud the surly the solution is to fix the the loopholes causing the fraud and and tighten up the security regarding postal voting rather than postponing the vote.

link   
as was said in the other thread, if thousands of people can riot and protest for months without fear of the covid, then voting with a mask should be no issue at all.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Sorry, no. If we can freaking go to Walmart we can go vote.

This # isn't rocket science. I'm sick of our rights beings smashed over this damned virus.

Election day is November 3rd. I want to physically vote. Not mail in voting. Not absentee ballots. In person voting.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join