It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Busts Arms Smuggling Ring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Federal officials have arrested 18 people allegedly involved in a plan to illegally smuggle arms into the country. The weapons include rocket-propelled grenades, anti-aircraft missiles, anti-tank missiles, and automatic rifles. The arrests were a result of a year-long investigation utilizing a confidential informant and thousands of wiretaps. The suspects were apprehended in New York City last night.

www.foxnews.com
NEW YORK  — U.S. authorities charged 18 people with weapons trafficking, including for an alleged scheme to smuggle grenade launchers, shoulder-fired missiles and other Russian military weapons into the country.

The arrests resulted from a yearlong investigation that used a confidential informant posing as an arms trafficker selling weapons to terrorists, according to prosecutors, the FBI and police.

The informant contacted the FBI after he was approached by a man who said he had access to weapons from the former Soviet Union and believed the informant, an explosives expert, could find a willing buyer, according to a law enforcement source.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a major victory for the U.S. government's domestic anti-terrorism and crime fighting activities. If these weapons had in fact been delivered to a terrorist group, the results could have been devastating. But one has to wonder, how many of these deals go undetected?

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Well, It's nice to know that we're not asleep at the wheel.
I think a lot of people have been holding their breath, waiting on the next attack inside the U.S.
I think this is definitely a big "score"...I wonder what intelligence, if any, that we can obtain by those in custody?
Kick A$$

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
sting op ?

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Does anyone know where these weapons were destined for? This was good timing (with the anti Sinn Fein news happening at the moment) if the weapons were headed for the I.R.A. Just wondering.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
mzrti, from what I understand there were no real buyers. Only government informants and agents. I believe the agents told the sellers that the weapons would be used for terrorism however.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Is there some vote for something coming up? Why announce this now? Are the Contras involved?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
woaahhh.....wait a second there.....what the heck was this all about...this people were smuggling "anti-aircraft missiles, anti-tank missiles".....and other Russian military weaponry into the country for terrorism?..... Were terrorists going to start attacking tanks in the US?......

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
woaahhh.....wait a second there.....what the heck was this all about...this people were smuggling "anti-aircraft missiles, anti-tank missiles".....and other Russian military weaponry into the country for terrorism?..... Were terrorists going to start attacking tanks in the US?......

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Muaddib]

hardly tanks but everyone knows we have 1000's of planes flying that would make good targets for terrorists. Also allow me to point out just because a missile may be intended for destorying tanks, they could also be used on trains.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
found this interesting bit today:
FBI Says Local Men May Have Had Al-Qaida Connections

MIAMI -- Federal agents arrested two South Florida men Tuesday who the FBI said may have had connections with Al-Qaida.

Michel Demare, of north Miami-Dade County, and Joseph Colpani, of Hollywood, were just two of 18 alleged arms traffickers arrested in a national sweep Tuesday.

Demare and Colpani are accused of selling assault weapons such as grenade launchers and shoulder-fired missiles in New York, Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale.

Why is it that Florida always seems to be involved in some major news story?? especially the terrorist connections?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

The arrests were a result of a year-long investigation utilizing a confidential informant and thousands of wiretaps. The suspects were apprehended in New York City last night.

Wiretaps??? Omigod, some poor terrorist must have had his rights violated!
Where's the ACLU?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Why is it that Florida always seems to be involved in some major news story?? especially the terrorist connections?

Because Jeb (Bush) is still governor?

new topics

top topics

join