It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Says Money Should Follow Students

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   
www.fox17online.com...

“If schools do not reopen, the funding should go to parents to send their child to public/private, charter, religious or home school of their choice, the keyword being choice,” Trump said. “If the school is closed, the money should follow the student so the parents and families are in control of their own decisions. So, we would like the money to go to the parents of the student. This way they can make the decision that's best for them.”

I agree with this 100000000000000000000000000000000000000%

I would agree with this before the pandemic too. It's so weird that property taxes pay for schools. Most countries don't do that, and many are surpassing the US in education.
edit on 28-7-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I also agree with this to some point. If the parents are homeschooling the quality of their teaching the kids should be adequate before they are given any money. I know people who would have their kids sit out and they would do their work for them to raise the kids grade. Then again, I know parents that would flunk their kid out if they got involved in doing the kids work.

My daughters stepkids are going to homeschool, no school will be involved either. They have the kids every other week, so they have to take care of teaching them one week and the other his ex-wife will be responsible. He was a highschool teacher for six years, and his ex-wife is a certified teacher that works with helping kids to raise their grades...a professional tutor that works for a local company that does that. But both have to work too, but they are working out how to do it instead of doing the local school supplied program, one that is going to be full of bugs for a couple of years. My other daughter has all of her kids homeschooling through a Michigan program, they are doing exceptionally well there, they were always getting everything going around the schools which made them sick at school half the time they were there and their abscences were barely making under the limit. They were going to the doctor all the time because of being sick when in school, now they rarely go anymore, but once or twice a year they still have to go in....required for the schooling program.

This virus is not the only virus being passed around in school, that pesky encentrovirus is common in this area now. As are many other viruses other than the flu also. The kids are getting the flu too, but not the EXACT type that is covered by the vaccines. The vaccine was not a good match this last winter for what was going around in this area.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Nope.
I don't get to pick and choose what my tax money pays for in any other circumstance.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Nope.
I don't get to pick and choose what my tax money pays for in any other circumstance.

The tax money - property tax is specifically designated for schools to educate ALL the children in the district. If the public schools are not educating the children then whomever is educating the children should get these designated taxes. When the tax was enacted the people were promised that this and only this was what the money was to be used for, in other words designated for a specific purpose and no other purpose. The people choose to pay it for a designated purpose.

You do get to pick and choose in many instances what your tax money pays for if you vote regularly and are involved in local politics and attend meetings. Many taxes are voted on in public referendums and what the money is to be used for.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Totally agree.

Now that he has said it , it's so obvious a good idea.
Public schools were all garbage anyway. Sending the money to the parents so they can decide the best way to teach their kids is the freest way to do this.

The more I think about this the better it seems.
edit on 28-7-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Nope.

But we should. So I'm for it when it happens.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   
So how is it rolled out? I live in a different country, but this is the best idea I've ever seen Trump spit out.

Are families hurting during the pandemic lump summed the money and maybe most will send the kids, and some won't and the money will be spent on other stuff?

Do you get a form saying...send my money to the school where my child is registered; do tax forms include a line for school expenses so people claiming to homeschool are held accountable. Does anyone care what people spend the money on? Or will property tax payers with no kids be (maybe rightfully) upset that some people are getting a lump of their hard earned money ?

Other countries afford public education due to higher taxes over all, where property taxes usually go towards amenities and municipal governments, etc.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   
My tax dollars to go to elite private or religious schools that most parents can't afford. Not gonna happen....

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

So how is it rolled out? I live in a different country, but this is the best idea I've ever seen Trump spit out.

That would be the crazy part.
Do you give each family for every child X amount of money.
OR do you stop property taxes?
If I am elderly and have no children should I have to continue to pay?

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I could google this, and I will, but what taxes go towards municipal expenses in the U.S.?

What funds garbage pick up, town/city council, maintenance and beautification, etc?

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I could google this, and I will, but what taxes go towards municipal expenses in the U.S.?

What funds garbage pick up, town/city council, maintenance and beautification, etc?

Garbage is different in every place. For example, It is independent where I live. I can choose who I want and pay directly.
In Florida it was done on a neighborhood level / HOA.

A big portion of our tax bill goes to schools.

This site has a good breakdown: scroll midway
madison.com... 9-bd25-02f1f147d3e1.html
edit on 28-7-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   

My garbage pickup bill is added right on to my water and electric bill.

As for the other things you mentioned, those are paid for with property taxes.
Sometimes state or federal grant money is also used.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
So I just skimmed through this article and I'm actually shocked and confused about public education in the U.S. , and as great as DT's idea sounds in the immediate sense, I have no idea how this would be rolled out.

Would it be averaged out considering in some part of the country, $29,000 per student is average for public school, and in others it's $9,000?

Will this cause a bum rush as people pack up and move to places with bigger outputs if it's averaged locally?

Outwardly, a good idea; in practice, a # show. So many issues to sort through.

*****Edit to add: 35% of our property taxes also go towards education, but are pooled provincially. I had no idea.
edit on 28-7-2020 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I'm actually shocked and confused about public education in the U.S.

Join the club and we live here

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I think the simplest way is through a voucher program. The schools must provide proof that the child is actually receiving an education to receive the voucher on behalf of the child. When homeschooled the children must take different competency testing for each age/grade level for the parents to continue to receive the voucher.

School choice is the only way to break the school unions which no longer serve to benefit the children.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

I think the simplest way is through a voucher program. The schools must provide proof that the child is actually receiving an education to receive the voucher on behalf of the child. When homeschooled the children must take different competency testing for each age/grade level for the parents to continue to receive the voucher.

School choice is the only way to break the school unions which no longer serve to benefit the children.

Unfortunately, that competency test would be written by the board of education.

At third grade, they'd be asking things like gender vs sex- things most people with jobs still don't even grasp.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

That would be the crazy part.
Do you give each family for every child X amount of money.
OR do you stop property taxes?
If I am elderly and have no children should I have to continue to pay?

It works like this:

People pay taxes to educate the children in their district.

The district knows how much money it has per pupil.

Each voucher is the amount the people paid in taxes divided by the number of pupils they are obligated to ensure get an education.

The money is given to the parent in the form of a voucher that can only be used for education, per pupil, the money follows each individual student:
to either:
a public school
a private school
an online home school program

As for the private schools, I sure as heck don't want my money paying to kill viable fetuses' that could live independently if born, but I am forced to pay for that through my taxes right now in the form of grants given to abortion mills. If you don't want to pay for private schools like Obama and the Clintons used, it is not for you to say, but for the parent to decide how best to use the education funds. Just as it is not for me to say who has the right to kill their viable fetus.

Yes the voucher would be good for private schools, parents have the option of adding their OWN money for expensive private schools like the ones the Obama's and Clintons sent their children to. Or do you only think rich people, the elite class should have the option to send their children to academically superior private schools? If you don't want private schools to get the money then you are limiting the option to send a child to a private school to only the very wealthy and superior families.

The private school my daughter teaches at would love to have the enormous amount the public schools spend per pupil that their parents now forfeit and pay out of their own pocket to get a much better education, with small class sizes, lots of individual attention with a superior testing rating. Should poor or middle class parents be denied the opportunity to get this for their children because it is private? Should only the upper middle class have this privilege'?

Parents and children deserve a choice of which school they utilize.

To force children into failing schools, which is happening now with the many many failing public schools is criminal in my opinion.

No people who don't have children would not get a refund. The taxes are tied to educating all the children, not the payee of the taxes. Just like I pay taxes that could end up paying to kill am unwanted healthy 39 week old fetus with a healthy uterus owner, even if I am not pregnant and don't want my money used in that way.

People who oppose vouchers only want the elite classes, the rich and upper middle classes to have access to academically excellent schools. They want to stick middle class and poor children in the failing public school system with no where to go.

People who oppose vouchers also think parents are not capable of educating their own children online instead of sending them to drug ridden, bully ridden schools where discipline is forbidden, and violence a regular occurrence. Parents should have the right to choose a safe education for their children and a quality education by utilizing one of the many superb online homeschooling programs that are out there today.

So I can see that people who oppose a safe drug free, bully free environment, with small classes, individual attention, and a superb academic success rate should be limited to the elite political class, the very rich and the upper middle class. That is the stance of the anti-voucher crowd.

edit on 7/28/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Oh gee. Betsy DeVos and husband are highly invested in Charter Schools. What a coincidence.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I'm not an expert, but the schools with higher pay per student is in wealthy neighborhoods simply because a %7 tax on a 5 million dollar home is greater than %7 of a 25 thousand dollar mobile home. And district size is based on population size and how long it would take to bus students to and from school.

originally posted by: a325nt

originally posted by: Isurrender73

Unfortunately, that competency test would be written by the board of education.

At third grade, they'd be asking things like gender vs sex- things most people with jobs still don't even grasp.

Great, I wish more people knew the stuff being taught. Maybe then they would go back to teaching life skills.
edit on 28-7-2020 by Jason79 because: added content after reading whole thread.

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Well, homeschooling from mid-March through the end of May cost our family $6700 in lost wages, about 3/4 of what a year ofnproperty tax cost, and that was with the school's involvement.

If only one solid income was still enough to support a family living in the suburbs, as it used to be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join