It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broadcast Television with sign Language for the the deaf - Not watchable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I'm all for people with disabilities and as I get older my hearing is not always that good and I occasionaly use close captions on some broadcasts.

- So why the hell do I have to watch a what looks like a bad joke sign language person sitting or standing next to a public speaker and creating an
impossible to watch distraction when close captioning is available to almost all on almot all television sets ???

I just turned off the governor of my state as my mind can not process his speach and the sign language distraction at the same time
- it is not watchable and not justified in a world where close captioning is almost always available.

So would someone tell me why 'they' do this ???

edit on 27-7-2020 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

When did this actually start? I've only noticed this in the last few months or so. I don't remember this even from a few years ago.

Also, I feel like an asshole, but I can't help it, I realize it helps convey emotion, but i can't stop laughing at the exaggerated facial expressions they use. It is fairly distracting. I tend to focus on that instead of what's being said.
edit on 27/7/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/7/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Right, not so long ago - Still why is the question ???

posted on Jul, 27 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I not even that hard of hearing an I still prefer watching things with subtitles.

Closed captioning still tends to suck as I think they just hire anyone who is hurting for cash to do it.

I can't stand watching people signing either. All the politicians are using ASL signers. I don't like ASL when it comes to political conversations or any important dialogue. ASL is more of a general type of signing. I use it when exhanging pleasantries or general conversations.

But when it comes to delicate, important matters I'd prefer they use PSE, or most preferably SEE

posted on Jul, 27 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I just came up with this reason.

What these politicians are saying is useless gibberish - They know it's useless gibberish and are afraid of the public paying too
close attention to their BS.

Therefor they put a sign language person right up front to create a distraction so that the rest of us will not be able to focus
on what they are saying.

Now you have 'the rest of the story' !!!

posted on Jul, 27 2020 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
I'm all for people with disabilities and as I get older my hearing is not always that good and I occasionaly use close captions on some broadcasts.

- So why the hell do I have to watch a what looks like a bad joke sign language person sitting or standing next to a public speaker and creating an impossible to watch distraction when close captioning is available to almost all on almot all television sets ???

[...]

I've noticed that too, it's too distracting. On another note, if you look at this TV sign language from a different perspective, it seems to make fun of the message being conveyed, a parody of sorts. No offence to the people with disabilities, but in many cases when I see a sign language person on TV, I can't help but think that some BS is being pushed on the audience. Some sort of psychological manipulation.

posted on Jul, 27 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

When Nikky Haley was governor of SC and Hurricane Matthew was headed our way, we had the pleasure of seeing this guy at the press conferences every day. I gotta admit, I loved the guy! He was super entertaining. If ya gotta have a signer, this guy rocks, haha...

posted on Jul, 27 2020 @ 11:39 PM
link   
yes he was a very good signer........wasn't there a situation either a political speech or a natural disaster and it turned out the guy doing the signing had no clue and was signing gibberish! reply to: new_here

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Lol

Dude.. it's a public speech. Turn the brightness down to 0 and just listen to it if the visuals bother you.

This is the very definition of "first-world problems ".

Be considerate to deaf people who can't just listen to it...
edit on 28-7-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: miri2019

originally posted by: AlienView

- So why the hell do I have to watch a what looks like a bad joke sign language person sitting or standing next to a public speaker and creating an impossible to watch distraction when close captioning is available to almost all on almot all television sets ???

[...]

I've noticed that too, it's too distracting. On another note, if you look at this TV sign language from a different perspective, it seems to make fun of the message being conveyed, a parody of sorts. No offence to the people with disabilities, but in many cases when I see a sign language person on TV, I can't help but think that some BS is being pushed on the audience. Some sort of psychological manipulation.

I swear at least one of the people I saw at some of the early Rona conferences was definitely mocking the speakers LOL. While I don't know sign language, aside from a few things and the alphabet, its the expressions along with what was being said. LOL

If so, good for them!!

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Your post reminded me of this sign language guy at Mandela's memorial, who was making up signs as the speech went on, it seemed that he unintentionally was poking fun at the world leaders there and created a comical situation.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Lol

Dude.. it's a public speech. Turn the brightness down to 0 and just listen to it if the visuals bother you.

This is the very definition of "first-world problems ".

Be considerate to deaf people who can't just listen to it...

MO - Its a lot more significant than that.

The question becomes when do handicapped and disablbled people go from being discriminated against to having more
rights and priviliges than those who are not disabled ??

And its even a bigger issue - Should the underprivileged for nay reason, handicaps, race, econokmically poor, etc., etc.
have more rights than those who are not so classified

Does the Uinted States Constitution give certain groups additional rights over the rest of the population???

Why can't I watch these a-hole politicans without a pantomine act that makes the speech unwatchable ???

ESPECIALLY since close captioningt is almost always available

I think I finally understand why Donald Trump, in spite of all his flaws, including mocking a handicapped persom who was
mocking him, still won the Presidency.
- He was the 'un-politcian' who draws up the angst of people who can no longer stand Liberals whose sense of equality reduces us all to 'the lowest common denominator'.

I'm all for equality - but when your sense of equality interferes with my rights - I draw the line
- You want to rule me with your handicap - That is not equality

edit on 28-7-2020 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Look at the faces they make when they are signing. They look like clowns and I'm pretty sure they are not signing what is being said. I have watched multiple different ones and none of them use the same signs. But those facial expressions are priceless.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   

The question becomes when do handicapped and disablbled people go from being discriminated against to having more
rights and priviliges than those who are not disabled ??

It's a translator. They aren't giving more rights to handicapped people. They are including them in the conversation.

You gotta be trolling!

top topics

join