It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The census

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Ok, I've been thinking again. Lol.

What is Hispanic? Is it the fact that you have Spanish ancestry? Spanish people are white. Why do Hispanics need to be separate from the rest of the European Americans?

Is it the Native American part that makes them Hispanic? If this is the case, why won't the rest of you that claim to have Native ancestry also claim to be non white or perhaps hispanic?

Can you do that on the next census? It wouldn't be a lie if in fact you have Native American ancestors.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
Spanish people are white.

That's a recent thing dating from the 1960's/70's, prior to that the were considered Mediterranean, like Italians, Portuguese, Greeks and a few other cultures.

This is why I have now chosen to no longer identify as being white. Now I get to have twice the fun with none of the guilt.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: galaga

"Hispanic" is based more upon language ( Spanish ) than ancestry or race, at least academically - and in the case of things like a Census.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: galaga
Spanish people are white.

That's a recent thing dating from the 1960's/70's, prior to that the were considered Mediterranean, like Italians, Portuguese, Greeks and a few other cultures.

This is why I have now chosen to no longer identify as being white. Now I get to have twice the fun with none of the guilt.

As someone who has ancestors from multiple coastal regions in the Mediterranean, I too, will now identify as Mediterranean.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Welcome to the cool kids club.

new topics

top topics

join