It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug makers to profit from Bush scheme to label kids mentally ill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JemisonMaybe I'm being treated differently from other parents because the school is aware of the fact that I have my Masters in child psych, maybe my daughters are treated differently because they have such high IQ's, maybe our experiences are atypical because we are in an affluent area, I don't know.

First of all, Jemison, I want to say I appreciate hearing from a parent who is active in the development of their children......

But I fear that you are the minority. Consider the education level of many citizens.....they are embroiled in their own lives and leave the speacilized information to people who take the time to earn their college degrees, etc.
Beyond that, Critical thinking is also a commodity not possessed by the general populace. The average I.Q. is centered around 100 and this is adequate for functioning in society, not questioning it. Sad but true. This is why this proposed legislation is appalling.....many people are inclined to go with the flow and accept what they are told by people who exude confidence and intelligence, whether they have it or not. This is extending into the next generation as well......if todays parents aren't active in the education and social skills of their children, popular culture and the easy answers will prevail in the mindset of our up and comers........of course the field contains to many variables to state this as fact, but it is potentially a generalization that can be expressed.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This whole drugging situation is far too stupid, and out of controll. I think other options like nutrition are not explored as much as they should be. My health betterment is a testimate to nutritional supplements and trying to weed out the garbage in my diet.

Troy

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
This whole drugging situation is far too stupid, and out of controll. I think other options like nutrition are not explored as much as they should be.
Troy

Come now cybertroy.. that is far too rational and reasonable. Not to mention, hurtful to the pharmaceutical companies bottom lines.

Heresy!

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Ooops, sorry about that. I don't know what came over me, my clear thinking has got to stop. I must have forgotten my meds this morning. Oh dear, I would hate for anyone to see me in this pitiful shape. Has anyone seen my prozac bottle?

Troy

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
One of the scariest things, to me, about putting these kids on all those meds is the addiction factor. Pharmaceutical drugs are the most addictive drugs out there. Why would anyone want to give their child a possible life-long addiction? It's insane.

I remember reading this article several years back by this guy (maybe a photographer) who was in the Balkans with journalist Sebastian Junger. The guy had been on Prozac or something similar and he ran out. He couldn't go get a refill b/c.. well.. he was in the middle of a war. He sunk to such depressive depths that he began to lose it. Seeing this, Junger said screw it and drove through mucho peril to get that guy something to placate his impending insanity. The guy said at that point he knew he had to get off the junk b/c it was tearing him up and making him want to die. He eventually did kick the stuff. But as he described it, it was horrific process.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Why would anyone want to give their child a possible life-long addiction? It's insane.

The same reason Tobacco Companies would target children to smoke as young as possible...............lifetime of sales.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Interesting thing, if you look into things like school shootings you might be suprised to find kids on Ritalin or whatever other drugs given to them legally. The bad thing about the media, that part might not get the tv coverage it deserves.

We've got such mixed messages right on the tv. One commercial "Talk to your kids about smoking pot," the next commercial is about some drug that is supposed to help your kids, but is more dangerous than pot. Ah yes, but this is legal addiction, supported by the law.

My sister-in-laws mom stopped drinking alcohol, but she is now on a bunch of drugs given to her legally by a doctor. It's said she needs some of that medication because her heart would stop? I tend to lean more towards cleansing her body of drugs and alcohol, but there is now a bunch of drugs to replace the alcohol. It somehow doesn't make sense.

Troy

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Interesting thing, if you look into things like school shootings you might be suprised to find kids on Ritalin or whatever other drugs given to them legally.

The first thing I thought of the other morning when I heard about that school shooting (by the indian kid) was.. I wonder if he's on the drugs?

We've got such mixed messages right on the tv. One commercial "Talk to your kids about smoking pot," the next commercial is about some drug that is supposed to help your kids, but is more dangerous than pot. Ah yes, but this is legal addiction, supported by the law.

I completely agree with you. It's insane. And how many people are hip to that?
I personally believe these drug advertisements should be banned. At least from TV. I went almost 30 years w/out ever seeing one, and I did just fine w/out them.

I tend to lean more towards cleansing her body of drugs and alcohol, but there is now a bunch of drugs to replace the alcohol. It somehow doesn't make sense.

'Course there are conditions that actually do require medications - like diabetes and heart conditions. But in the vein of what you're saying, yes, it seems they're replacing one addiction for another. Why go there?

If you need a mood enhancer - say NO to the Pharma-PIMPS and say yes to your friendly local pot dealer.

It's cheaper and much more fun.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Sure 'nuff. According this article I read, the shooter kid was on Prozac for depression. It claims that it caused suicidal behavior in him. It also talks about his tragic family history. He was a victim of family deaths (beginning when he was 10), and a life bouncing from home to home. It's no wonder the kid wasn't right in the head. The grief he suffered at such a young age is just beyond sad. Talk about a kid in need of love and stability.

This was the ultimate form of acting out. Perhaps, further induced by medication he shouldn't have even been on. Its a tragedy of epic proportions. For everyone involved.

Teen Redlake School Mass
Murderer Was On PROZAC
'The clues were all there'
School shooter depicted as deeply disturbed, ignored teen.
By Ceci Connolly and Dana Hedgpeth
The Washington Post
3-24-5

REDLAKE, Minn. -- Two days after a shooting rampage on the Indian reservation here left 10 dead, friends, relatives and neighbors of Jeff Weise -- the 16-year- old assailant -- began to sketch a portrait of a deeply disturbed youth who had been treated for depression in a psychiatric ward, lost several close family members, sketched gruesome scenes of armed warriors and was removed from the school where he gunned down most of his victims Monday.

"The clues were all there," said Kim Desjarlait, Weise's step-aunt, who lives in Minneapolis. "Everything was laid out, right there, for the school or the authorities in Red Lake to see it coming. I don't want to blame Red Lake, but did they not put two and two together? This kid was crying out, and those guys chose to ignore it. They need to start focusing on their kids."
www.rense.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Sometimes kids just need something constuctive to do. My nephews are good about wanting to help out around their house. Kids might seem like they are in the way, but it might not hurt to let them have their own rag to dust the house, or get their own play vaccum (of course helping out in the safe areas of the house, and with safe materials). They might not do a great job, but they a lot of times like to help. I saw a kid one time trying to help his parents get something out of the buggy, and he was fussed at for it. I say let them chip in and help if they want to.

I've had some disturbing emotions myself, but I've never gotten myself hooked on such powerfull drugs. It all mellows out, I'll get busy or something, and I'll forget all about smashing the tv, or being destructive to others. I drink on occasion, but geez it's not like taking a powerful drug every day of my life.

Troy

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
That kid that shot those people, it sounded like, had a very difficult existence. Poverty. A lot of death in a short period of time. A lot of uncertainty. A lot of lonliness, probably. Add to that the Prozac.

So, I hear he was a member of ATS. Did any of you ever talk w/him?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I think Bush's Silence on School Shooting would negate any theory he wants to get into mental health screenings of kids. Unless, he just doesn't want the ridiculous prescription of anti-depressants to a 16 year old like Jeff to come back and bite his agenda in the bum.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The anti-gun lobby will use it, and others like it, as an example for banning guns.

Check out the plan:

New Freedom Commission on Mental Health

Yet another reason I wouldn't want my kids going to public school. If I had kids.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Is it a co-incidence that the number of kids on psychotropic drugs has risen in relation to kids exibiting violent behavior (school shootings, etc.)? I think not. We need to think long and hard about what these drugs are doing to our children. They're our future, afterall. It's kinda scary.

Alan Caruba

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Deadly Coincidence: School Shootings and Drugged Students
By Alan Caruba
MichNews.com
Apr 1, 2005

I keep waiting for someone to notice the way the rash of school shootings the US has experienced has coincided with the massive program of drugging “over-active” students or those deemed to have an “attention deficit.” Medicating students has replaced counseling.
www.michnews.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
For anyone with children who are or will be in public school this is a must read:

Bush wants pharma Trojan Horse unbridled

By Evelyn Pringle
Online Journal Contributing Writer

Download a .pdf file for printing.
Adobe Acrobat Reader required.
Click here to download a free copy.

March 28, 2005—The New Freedom Commission (NFC) was established by executive order on April 29, 2002.

On that date at a speech in New Mexico, George W. Bush said mental health centers and hospitals, homeless shelters, the justice and school systems have contact with individuals suffering from mental disorders but that too many Americans fall through the cracks of the current system and so he created the commission to ensure "that the cracks are closed."

On July 22, 200,3 the NFC recommended redesigning the mental health system in all 50 states and said, "Achieving this goal will require . . . a greater focus on mental health care in institutions such as schools, child welfare programs, and the criminal and juvenile justice systems. The goal is integrated care that can screen, identify, and respond to problems early," in a press release.

Despite a nearly 500 percent increase in psychiatric drugs being prescribed to children in the previous six years, the NFC recommended a plan of mandatory mental health screening for all public school students and follow-up treatment with drugs when needed.
www.onlinejournal.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Now stuff like this are the clues to a real conspiracy. I agree totally and completely ECK and you get a way above from me...This whole thing seems painfully obvious. If it wasnt W allowing the Pharma corps to just plain rape the Amercan people Itd be John Kerry allowing the media to further conspire to create the news...as the media is supposedly liberal controlled..Ive said it many times and Ill say it again...repeat after me "We are All Doomed"..

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I was watching a news program on abc where a doctor was tracking childrens sleep patterns and found when they become teenagers the pattern changes to where they dont get tired untill after 11 pm so they have to get up early for school and aquire sleep debt wich can mimic depression.

this is unfortunate as so many will be falsely diagnosed as suffering from depression

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Thanks very much for the link East Coast Kid!

There are many people who do not see the real evil that exists in this world. A suppression of knowledge, a suppression of true cures, and hazardous medications pushed on the population. Some people in high places have evil intents. The good people of this world fortunately outnumber the evil, but we must fight and we must win, or we will be crushed by the few that suppress us.

Those with true knowlege need to rise up and fight this suppression. Many of us can help out simply by spreading truth, and relentlessly kick evil in the nuts. People know truth, they know what is right, and the truth will be made known.

Troy

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I remember when I heard on the news that the drug industries was trying to get congress or whomever to get "vitamins" to be labeled as a drug, because alot of people were using them...and you know those selfish people....

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Yeah, I have allready heard vitamins referred to as drugs before. I think even some definition of drug seemed to point at vitamins being drugs.

Oh, cursing is tempting right now. (just about called the drug companies "Fat F*#ks") Oh dear, mustn't lose my temper. Gee I wonder who would controll vitamins if they were referred to as drugs?

How mad I would be if I had to get a prescription for Vitamin C, especially if I decided I wanted to mega-dose for a cold, but the prescription said "one a day".

Troy

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join