It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug makers to profit from Bush scheme to label kids mentally ill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Before the late '90's, you never saw prescription drugs advertised on tv. It was something that was unheard of. If something was wrong, you went to the doctor. He would treat you and proscribe medication accordingly.

Back when I was a kid (in the 70's) there was no such thing as ADD & ADHD, at least not on any wide scale. In those days, when kids got outta control, their parents simply applied what was known as ADD (Additional Daddy Discipline). In general, I would say kids were much more under control back then, not to mention respectful.

Things aren't quite as simple these days, though.

Back then the whole social make-up was different. In 1975 my dad died. I was in grade school at the time. For years I was one of few kids that lived in a one-parent household. I was the odd-man out. Around the same time, (in the wake of the sixties sexual revolution), America seemed to be coming unglued. By the mid-to-late '80's divorce had become commonplace and the family unit was disintigrating at such a rapid pace, those getting married by that time had about a 50/50 chance of making it.

Few people seemed concerned about the effects this was having on America's children. Remember - the '80's was the "me decade" - and SELF love was elevated to a sickening art. It should be called the therapy decade. Boo hoo! I'm unhappy! Who cares about my family! I need to feel better, whatever the cost.

As America's newly single parents were getting in touch with their touchy-feely selves, pursuing their own selfish desires, something their parents - the aptly called greatest generation - taught us all fell by the wayside. What both sets of my grandparents stoicly taught me was how to be responsible and stable. How to take their responsibilities to their families serious - no matter how depressing or miserable that might be. They taught me - as well as so many like them - how to be faithful and how to be there for their loved ones, come hell and highwater. Every day of my life that they lived, I knew they were there for me. And now I know, if I never did then, how much they loved me and my family.

That seems to be a rare thing these days. Families staying together through thick and thin. Parents dedicating themselves to bringing up their children, putting their own desires on the backburner. Nowdays, there are so many different types of households. Mama's boyfriends come and go. There are step siblings, step parents, half this half that.. its no wonder so many kids act out and are depressed. How could a kid not be out of control under these circumstances?

And today's parents seem all too willing to take their kids straight to the doctor who, instead of delving into the possible spiritual/emotional issues plaguing the kid, are ready to jack him up with the latest magical pharmeceutical "remedy." Some of which, are not even fully tested. It's so much easier to just medicate junior instead of actually being more of a parent to him and getting down with the tough and needed love. It's abysmal. Most kids just need more affection and attention - not legalised dope.

Is it any wonder we are seeing more and more kids becoming violent and acting out in ways once thought to be downright demonic? I think not. There is a link. It goes straight to how children are being raised at home. If they are being neglected and forced to deal with a homelife that is antithetical to healthy development, they are going to behave accordingly. Add to that these meds, which have been proven to cause extreme mood swings and suicidal behavior, you've got a recipe for disaster.

Drug companies know what's going on. They prey on our social dysfunction as a crack dealer preys on the junkie. It's no different. See how they now advertise their magic pills on tv day in and day out. We are now told daily to buy this and buy that, for all our ills will be alleviated with one little pill. It's depraved.

To make matters even worse, President Bush is making life even sweeter for the pharmaceutical industry by introducing a little program known as the New Freedom Commission on Mental Health (NFC). It is a nationwide mental illness screening program in government institutions, including the public school system, for all students from kindergarten up to the 12th grade.

How 'bout that? Let's get 'em right outta the gate, boys. Let's screen these kids for any and all sign of any reason to sell these drugs to 'em. Can you imagine? Imagine being labled in the second grade with some kind of mental disorder and then having to go through your life labled and doped up by decree. What if you just behaved badly because your alcholic mother left and your daddy was seeing some HO who was mean to you & your siblings? What if there was nothing at all wrong with you, aside from being treated badly by someone who wasn't even your parent? And you had no power to change that. The what ifs run an incredible gamut. The government has NO business sticking its beaurocratic nose into your personal life! It certainly has NO business declaring your child has some BS disorder that can only be treated for life with some fancy new drug.

Imagine those fat cat pharmo nazis milking us for everything we're worth while poisoning our children in the process. It is unconscienable! And that is an understatement. We have got to put the breaks on this madness if we are to raise healthy children. It's time for parents to step up and be what they should be - dedicated, loving caregivers to the most precious gift they will ever recieve in life - their kids. Tell the government to put it where the sun doesn't shine. They do not own our kids and they never will!
The time to speak out is now - otherwise you might as well just hand your kids over to Uncle Sam & his drug buddies. They're waiting.

Drug makers to profit from Bush scheme to label kids mentally ill

By Evelyn Pringle
Online Journal Contributing Writer

Download a .pdf file for printing.
Adobe Acrobat Reader required.
Click here to download a free copy.

March 15, 2005—Citing recommendations by the New Freedom Commission on Mental Health (NFC), George W. Bush wants to launch a nationwide mental illness screening program in government institutions, including the public school system, for all students from kindergarten up to the 12th grade.

The New Freedom Commission was established by an executive order Bush issued on April 29, 2002. According to a July 22, 2003, press release, the commission recommends transforming America's mental health care system.

"Achieving this goal will require greater engagement and education of first line health care providers—primary care practitioners—and a greater focus on mental health care in institutions such as schools, child welfare programs, and the criminal and juvenile justice systems. The goal is integrated care that can screen, identify, and respond to problems early," the commission's press release stated.
www.onlinejournal.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

To make matters even worse, President Bush is making life even sweeter for the pharmaceutical industry by introducing a little program known as the New Freedom Commission on Mental Health (NFC). It is a nationwide mental illness screening program in government institutions, including the public school system, for all students from kindergarten up to the 12th grade.

How 'bout that? Let's get 'em right outta the gate, boys. Let's screen these kids for any and all sign of any reason to sell these drugs to 'em. Can you imagine? Imagine being labled in the second grade with some kind of mental disorder and then having to go through your life labled and doped up by decree. What if you just behaved badly because your alcholic mother left and your daddy was seeing some HO who was mean to you & your siblings? What if there was nothing at all wrong with you, aside from being treated badly by someone who wasn't even your parent? And you had no power to change that. The what ifs run an incredible gamut. The government has NO business sticking its beaurocratic nose into your personal life! It certainly has NO business declaring your child has some BS disorder that can only be treated for life with some fancy new drug.

Let's think for a moment.... nah, couldn't be....

Maybe, just maybe, President Bush is trying to do something good here, actually wanting to help children..... nah that can't be right...

You're right ECK.... it's all about the money and the Evil Bush Empire..

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Yep Saint Shrub wants to help everyone but for some reason the corporations have benefitted greatly while he has been in office. He has cut education and every program out there that might help kids but yet you now believe he wants to help kids and the fact that the drug companies will make billions is just a happy side affect of his wanting to help kids. Bush's record on helping people is tremendous, he was governor of Texas and left them with a huge dificit, then he wanted to help seniors get a drug plan added into medicare and gave all the moeny to the drug companies, he wanted to help all the poor and working poor so he cut all programs including education, he has cut veteran benefits and he wanted to help those poor Iraqies and now over 100,000 of them are dead, may God help the next group he sets out to help.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
How can a drug help a child when it can not help and adult? how ignorant of some to even think that drugs can help children unless the child is beyond the doubt in need of such a drug?

I am talking by experience my son was put in one of "those wonder drugs" it made his life miserable and the family too, until an independent psychiatric study pay by my insurance proved that it was nothing wrong with him.

Yes now with the law against "non frivolous law suits" the big pharmaceutical corporations can drug up our children with bush approval.

Elevevatedone, if you have kids go ahead and take them to the doctor and have them put on drugs and then come back and tell how it feels.

I been there and I will regret it for the rest of my life even if it was for only 2 years that I allowed my then 12 year old son be used like that.

Denied ignorance our administration is helping every body profit from our misery and pain and we are getting nothing out if.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Yes now with the law against "non frivolous law suits" the big pharmaceutical corporations can drug up our children with bush approval.

That's an excellent point, Marg. Now when we discover that the drugs given to our children are actually the cause of some incuriable malady, or suicide maybe, we will not be able to sue those manufacturers and nail them to the wall financially. BushCo. is protecting them with everything they've got. Whether you're a Bush supporter or not, you've got to see how wrong this is.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
EastCoastKid -

You started out your piece right on track - lack of parental responsibility!
Then you go throw politics into the mix.

The fact stands that if parental responsibility was in place, the drug companies wouldn't be making anywhere near the profits they are now, and your pinning the blame on Bush and his cronies in DC wouldn't hold water.

Keeping the logic straight leads the informed reader back to the premise of your post - parental respect and responsibility are gone.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partyof1
The fact stands that if parental responsibility was in place, the drug companies wouldn't be making anywhere near the profits they are now, and your pinning the blame on Bush and his cronies in DC wouldn't hold water.

Hold on there, how many stories do we hear of parents charged with abuse for disciplining their children? How many schools do we hear about that have done away with corporal punishment? It's really simply: if your kid has a problem with his vocabulary and displays an affinity for four-letter words a little bit of red pepper works wonders. You misbehave in school you get your licks.

Granted, we hear lots of stories of parents going overboard on the discipline; but it's to the point now where parents are becoming afraid to discipline their children for fear of what someone might do if you spank them in public.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
There is more going on here - 1) parents are no longer legally required to drug their kids; but more important,

2) Plans are in the works to establish mental competency tests for voting.

The original mandate was to look at mental competency in dementia patients, but the studies go way beyond that. ...By most criteria, most voters are not "mentally competent" enough to vote.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is a huge issue - and hugely important. Judging by the Bushkreig speed that news laws are being passed - this is one to watch for.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Keeping the logic straight leads the informed reader back to the premise of your post - parental respect and responsibility are gone.

You might want to focus your research on this..

the New Freedom Commission on Mental Health (NFC)

A google search will lead you to the promised land of truth.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by titian

Granted, we hear lots of stories of parents going overboard on the discipline, but it's to the point now where parents are becoming afraid to discipline their children for fear of what someone might do if you spank them in public.

I couldn't agree with you more!
Your post is right on the money, and unfortunately it's the truth these days. Seems like some people out there think that ANY discipline is "abuse".

My point above was that the original poster seemed to be linking drug companies, Bush et al, with the downfall of parental responsibility and children's lack of respect. A link that doesn't fit if you follow the logic of the post.

Some things are obvious - plain and simple. Why muddy clear water.

I think generally people understand the difference between right and wrong - but it's just easier (and more acceptable these days) to blame someone else when push comes to shove.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by Partyof1]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
What I wrote primarily has to do with how we are being bombarded by BS from the pharmeceutical industry and how the Bush administration is working to help them further their nefarious agenda - by preying on Americas rampant familial dysfunction. I merely trace the changes from 30 yrs ago on. Instead of loving and disciplining their children, so many of today's parents run to the nearest doctor to dope them up into obedience.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
.Hey, Bush knows. If you don't believe it, look at how all the bush kids developed--from the granddaddy to the current little hos

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Parents (cant) be like they were before.

In my day, (70's) if your kid was a goof off, there were no medications and no diagnosed deceases. You had a bad kid. You got them home and disciplined them. Now, the state wants to run your life and your kids, God help you if you lay a hand on them. You must be an abuser.

Now we have a magic pill for everything. Now we sedate our children and ARE expected to comply. If a teacher yells "trouble" the first thing out of their mouths is "psychiatrist and medication" I know, one of my sons was a little wild and i was approched numerous times as to when i would have him medicated. Ha! Never. My son grew up to be responsible, is married, has children and has a wonderful business.

This government is moving mountains for the drug companies. Will they stop at nothing? Same with the bogus flu pandemic thats supposed to hit. I'll beleive it when i see it. Its bogus. Its their way and the drug companies way to: 1. promote, push and sell immunizations 2. Control. 3. Cause chaos.4. Ultimately to keep the fear going 5. Call it a police state due to a pandemic. Boogie boogie boogie...are we scared yet?

Do we not recognize programming and brainwash when we see it?

What happened with the shortage of vaccinations that we needed during 2004 and 2005? That was supposed to be a "great" flu also.

67 casualties out of 6 billion people to get the evian flu bacteria,
I wont swallow their lies.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Excellent points DG, one and all. You are correct in that there are many reasons why the government is moving our citizenry towards this zombie state. None of which are for our well being.

In the New Testament of the Bible it talks about how in the latter days a generation of children will be raised to make the Chaldeans look harmless. I do believe we are seeing the beginning of this prophecy. Think Columbine.

If we don't get a grip on this right now, it'll be too late.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
ECK, i've got a grip, you've got a grip, so do many. I'm afraid this is the only thing we can do.

I feel it is too late for others to "get it".
If you dont by now, what are the chances?

Most people posting on this board are teens, and i get so upset sometimes by whats posted, i throw my arms up in the air and walk away.

Lets face it; it is as it is. too bad.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Most people posting on this board are teens, and i get so upset sometimes by whats posted, i throw my arms up in the air and walk away.

Lets face it; it is as it is. too bad.

At this point, all we can really do is spread the word as far and wide as we can (those of us who understand). ATS is but one forum. DG, I suggest folks like you write your newspapers (op/ed letter sections) about this. Be brief and to the point. That's one way of raising awareness in your community. Write your congress critters, too; for whatever that's worth. You never know. It may have an impact. And it's definitely worth a try. Most people aren't even aware of this issue (Bush's new plan).

Hopefully some our younger ATS members will read this and gain a new perspective. Don't get hooked on crap you don't need!!! It will only hurt you more in the end.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Most people posting on this board are teens...

Off Topic I know but - is this true?

I was wondering what the average age was here...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Most people posting on this board are teens...

Off Topic I know but - is this true?

There are a lot of kids on ATS. I wouldn't know what the breakdown is, though. Sounds like a good thread idea for BTS.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I just saw this article from a mom who lost her kid b/c of Ritalin use. How very sad.

Death From Ritalin
The Truth Behind ADHD
www.RitalinDeath.com
You can visit our ADHD message Board at: www.ritalindeath.com...

I am here to warn parents of the risks involved in giving children psychotropic medications used to treat ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). These behaviors are listed in the DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for ADHD.

Our fourteen-Year-old Son Matthew died on March 21, 2000. The cause was determined to be from the long-term (age 7-14) using of Methylphenidate a medication commonly known as Ritalin.

The Certificate of Death under due to, (or because of) reads Death caused from Long Term Use of Methylphenidate, (Ritalin). According to Dr. Ljuba Dragovic, The chief pathologist in Oakland County Michigan, upon autopsy, Matthew's heart showed clear signs of small vessel damage, the type caused by stimulant drugs like amphetamines.
www.ritalindeath.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have spoken to a lot of people who believe oil companies run the country with the pharmacudical companies a close second. With the oil fields everywhere drying up big oil will loose control the drug companies are doing everything they can now to take control when the oil industry collapses. Im sure the drug companies have put in a lot of money and lobbying to get this bill through.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join