It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ULTIMATE Secret to Great Spaghetti

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: NightVision

I have to agree that butter very much improves the taste. Don't skimp.

And don't be cheap when you buy olive oil. The better stuff tastes better. Spend the extra buck or two.
edit on 7/20/2020 by HackScribbler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Flashback to poor childhood when dinner was pasta and ketchup about 200 days a year.

No thanks.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: solve

Flashback to poor childhood when dinner was pasta and ketchup about 200 days a year.

No thanks.

Time to grow up.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

No thanks.

You poor, poor creature. You don't even know what real spaghetti is. Remember, remember the 5th of November.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: HackScribbler

No thanks.

Time to grow up.

I did, that`s why today i had Nepalese inspired beef chili/choila but used deer instead of beef, and made some naan bread with it.. Tasted so good that i almost died.

edit on 20-7-2020 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I used to make spaghetti like that all the time.

Boil until al dente, strain, return to the skillet with butter and fresh garlic, and fry a few minutes.

Top with a little fresh grated Parm and: Eat.

That's some good #, and no sauce needed.
edit on 20-7-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   

No thanks.

sympathy

I was bored to tears growing up. house, dog, family dinner every night, blah blah blah.
later years I hear horror stories about what some others went through. makes me appreciate my childhood more.

our spaghetti came courtesy of Chef Boy-ar-dee. and it was GOOD!

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Wanna talk about some nasty ass mushy canned "pasta," "Chef" Boy-ar-Dumb is your man.

My sister loved Spaghetti-Os.
edit on 20-7-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   
My grandmother called it "Depression spaghetti".

She fried onions in butter and added two cans of Campbell's tomato soup. This was mixed with maccheroncini.

My mother made it at least once a week when we were kids. My parents were saving money like mad to build our new house. The arrival of my sister necessitated penny-pinching and my father took a second job for a while.

I thought it was pretty tasty at the time.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

My dearest Peeps...

Have I taught you nothing??!

Always go for the bad pun!!

As you as in, “... the pastabilities are endless”!!!

*Semi face palm* (which is prolly a, *smh* but this social media thing confuses me!!

Fresh pasta? “Al dente” with pasta water (you let it dry a bit so it doesn’t fall apart when cooking for 2-3 minutes). Me? Too much counter space!! Sounds good (that is how the restaurants do it). And just simple enough Ingredients (like a margarita pizza... not too much... it is all about the pasta!)

Dry pasta?? Depends. Going to cook some more (lasagna, baked ziti, Mac & cheese, etc), then yeah, then undercook and let it finish in the dish you are making. For consumption then, yeah, finish in some sauce and cheese (and add more sauce if wanted. PS - Add the Parmesan rind to your sauce as it cooks!), then let the “carry over heat” finish plumping the pasta. Pasta salad?? Go over the package directions by two minutes then do the thing you are not supposed to do and rinse the past with n cold water. Dress while warm so get a nice vinegar bite and chill.

Frozen??? No. Just no (I have tried Italian, Chinese, and Vietnamese frozen noodle dishes and they cook to mush or or not done. Lose-lose situation.

Shelf stable is OK if you can find a less flour-y good one. No boil lasagna works but not for non-red sauce. Wonton wrappers are something I have not tried (I get Box Store ravioli and make way too much!!(. And the variations like gnocchis, various dumplings that are basically ravioli... pho... *drool*

I love the stuff!!

I was just in second grade when I made Ragu and some kind of dried pasta for dinner with garlic powder and oregano (Julia Childs!!??Thanks PBS!!) for me, my sister and mom. They were surprised at how good it was for a little kid with no adult supervision (I never left the stove like Julia warned and timed it so both finished at the same time! OK, I was going into third grade but still! Some folk can’t boil water in their 30s!!!)

Learn any one of the techniques and the pastabilities are endless!!!

(a nice Chianti!!)

edit on 20-7-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Stoopid dumb phone autocorrect...

edit on 20-7-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: dumb bastid... (to phone)

edit on 20-7-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: WTH happened to my sentence??!!

edit on 20-7-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: this is so sad...

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Forgot about Ramen!!

A little water, some stock, frozen veggies for 5, and those crazy dry things for a couple (/w packets for the salt).

I have been drunk making those noodles for the bottom of the spaghetti jar sauce...

* Warning!! Don’t cook ramen at 3 AM!! *

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yes, very good! I've only had traditional ones a few times. I'm less keen on the commercial variety. It's such a simple recipe that the condiments make or break it for me.

Talking about simple, I forgot to mention the simplest of recipes are often the best. Apart from a plain tomato & basil sauce, the next best (and quick) condiments are butter and parmigiano or aglio, olio & peperoncino (garlic and whole dried red chili fried in olive oil)... Thrown the pasta into the pan and away you go.

Oh, for any leftover pasta, the next day, forget the microwave, just fry it in a pan until it becomes a bit crispy. In fact, I'd usually sacrifice some stomach capacity just to have some left for this most exquisite destiny.
edit on 20-7-2020 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   
All real Italians go to Olive Garden.

Anyways, sauce?

It's all about spaghetti aglio e olio

edit on 21-7-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I contend its the sauce.....and my secret that everyone asks about and i never tell...........

But i will here......

Shallots instead of Onions, and small red and yellow sweet peppers......

add half of each when you start your sauce, that should cook all day........caramelize the other half before serving and add a bit to the top of each plate before serving......

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22
Apart from a plain tomato & basil sauce, the next best (and quick) condiments are butter and parmigiano or aglio, olio & peperoncino (garlic and whole dried red chili fried in olive oil)... Thrown the pasta into the pan and away you go.

I'll add cacio e pepe to the list as well. Simple and delicious.

Trueman posted a video on carbonara as well which is another favorite.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Apart from a plain tomato & basil sauce, the next best (and quick) condiments are butter and parmigiano or aglio, olio & peperoncino (garlic and whole dried red chili fried in olive oil)... Thrown the pasta into the pan and away you go.

I'll add cacio e pepe to the list as well. Simple and delicious.

Trueman posted a video on carbonara as well which is another favorite.

Two more classics!

There's an art to those two dishes and they are easy to screw up, often with disastrous results, especially cacio e pepe.

As you've upped the ante, I'll raise you an Amatriciana... Bucatini and Pecorino, of course; here's a plate full from my workplace's cafeteria that feeds 1k+ people a day. Not too nasty every once in a while.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   

As you've upped the ante, I'll raise you an Amatriciana...

Another fave, now I'm hungry.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

As you've upped the ante, I'll raise you an Amatriciana...

Another fave, now I'm hungry.

Sorry for drifting away from the main topic. This is my last excursion, promise.

Since you enjoyed that, how about Polenta con Spuntature di Maiale from the same cafeteria. This is how I prefer my polenta.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Con cinghiale would be even better.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

a reply to: Encia22

Con cinghiale would be even better.

We've got cinghiali everywhere, they're invading cities, too, so I think something can be arranged to satiate your hunger! A much better choice than Pesto alla Genovese, never liked it as a kid, detest it even more as an adult... makes me cough and splutter like a badly souped-up motorino.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join