It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relgion should not be mix with politics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Many feel that the two should be not be mixed, meaning that religion should not mix with politics. I feel strongly that it should, but not like the way George Bush uses religion to brainwash voters. Religion should be an important part in our society,

what do you think?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I think that religion has no place in democratic politics, and the two should be kept well apart.
This is because religious assertions and dogma are absolute, irrefutable, and are considered the 'will of god,' completely the incompatible opposite to democracy - the will of the people. If leaders begin to use religious doctrine in their policies, then you innevitably have the scenario where opposing such policies is deemed a heretic act. ie "If you're arguing with me, you're arguing with God", and the democratic process becomes impracticable, paving the way for a theocracy. Thats what I reckon anyway.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
I think that religion has no place in democratic politics, and the two should be kept well apart.
This is because religious assertions and dogma are absolute, irrefutable, and are considered the 'will of god,' completely the incompatible opposite to democracy - the will of the people. If leaders begin to use religious doctrine in their policies, then you innevitably have the scenario where opposing such policies is deemed a heretic act. ie "If you're arguing with me, you're arguing with God", and the democratic process becomes impracticable, paving the way for a theocracy. Thats what I reckon anyway.

i understand what you saying, but religion is a key part of society and cannot be ignored by politics.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Yes, nobody could dispute the fact that religion is a key part of any society, and as such should be respected in all its guises by a democratic constitution. Where the separation is necessary though to maintain democracy, in my opinion, is at the decision making level, where personal freedom of choice, not dogmatic rhetoric should hold sway.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I admit, extremism is not good, just at Islamic states which are ruled via extremist groups. Now, extremism should not be included into politics, but moderate religion should.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I admit, extremism is not good, just at Islamic states which are ruled via extremist groups. Now, extremism should not be included into politics, but moderate religion should.

How would you suggest religion be included into our politics? Also, how do you envisage it fitting in with the democratic process?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
leaders should be religion and religion should be an important part of our daily lives. Leaders should be doing God's work, not their own and it would encourage more of society to respect eachother. Plus issuses like abortion would be sorted and be made illegal, but certain cases would be allowed.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by infinite]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The track record in the UK (barring Northern Ireland) has, thankfully, been that so far any overt attempt to bring religion into mainstream politics is not looked upon favourably by the public.

Our public seem to fully appreciate the sense in maintaining the divide between the rights to personal private belief and free public life, equality under the law and open commerce.

Long may it continue.

(as for the RC ArchBishop's call to make abortion an election issue?
Well actually we've been there many times before - the time of the 1967 act legalising abortion and it's ripples into the 1970's in the UK is probably too far back for many here but it was all so much louder and passionate back then.
Thankfully it is nothing like the lurid distasteful political football it has been turned into in the USA and, I suspect it never will be either.
)

new topics

top topics

join