It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Sends 150,000 Troops to Ukraine Border for snap "Drills"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

President Vladimir Putin has ordered snap military drills involving 150,000 troops along with hundreds of aircraft and naval vessels on the border of Ukraine.

Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said the drill is intended to test the readiness of troops ahead of the Caucasus 2020 war games, due to take place in September.

The announcement came just hours after Ukraine's Defence Minister Andriy Taran announced his country would be holding its own drills the same month, and encouraged NATO forces to join.

Taran has warned that Caucasus 2020 could be used as cover to invade Ukraine, where Russian-backed separatists have been fighting the government since 2014.

This whole situation seems odd. The timing is extremely curious as well. Could well be nothing beyond business as usual and I hope that's the case, but definitely worth keeping an eye on. Also, while I'm sure there will be precautions in place, why in the hell would Ukraine openly invite NATO countries military to "drills" right now? Most NATO countries are dealing with COVID. Ukraine has reported low number of infected in their military compared to most other NATO countries. They also curiously postponed planned September drills in April over COVID, and the numbers have done nothing but climb rapidly since then, so why now?

uacrisis.org...
www.ukrinform.net...

There may be a lot more to this than just "drills."

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The way this year has gone it wouldn't surprise me if it goes out with a bang , back to the age of Mutually Assured Destruction.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The way this year has gone it wouldn't surprise me if it goes out with a bang , back to the age of Mutually Assured Destruction.

Between this and the China/India constantly escalating saber rattling, the table for a global conflict this winter is pretty much set.
edit on 17-7-2020 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
150.000 troops... lol ?

Sounds like propaganda to me, perhaps remove a 0.. 15000 would be more realistic.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Maybe Ukraine used a too powerful weapon in the back and forth border squabble they have with Russia, and this is just a friendly reminder only to take some shots here and there.

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   
150k potentially infected? Well that's a good one for ruskis. Maybe they will finally finish themselves.
edit on 17-7-2020 by KiwiNite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I had a 'superior' let's say, who contracted in Ukraine and I visited there.
The Ukrainians are great people and I miss the place.
Long story short, NATO has a huge presence in that country and Gladio would never let the (ex)Commies invade.
Its just a posturing thing.

Edit to say
As you know a lot of Russians Are Ukrainians and a lot of Ukrainians are Russians, cuz History. So...no. not going to happen.
USSR is gone. thank god
edit on 17/7/2020 by chris_stibrany because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Talk about Russia interfering in US elections . If Russia did make a high profile incursion into Ukraine .

Trumps response would be not only predictable but etched in stone .

War time president’s involved in an active hot shooting war are rarely defeated ( if ever ) in elections .

posted on Jul, 17 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   

US President Donald Trump has approved a plan to withdraw 9,500 American troops from bases in Germany by September, US media say.

www.bbc.com...

Every little bit helps. Someone.

edit on 7/17/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Not concerned about Russia invading Ukraine. They took the bit they considered vital already. Suspect this sabre rattle is aimed at deterring Ukraine from having another go at winning the stalemated civil war with their ethnic russians in the east.

posted on Jul, 18 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Why should we defend a bunch of deadbeats. Germany should pay their defense bill .

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
That could get Sporty.

Odd to do a "drill" that size before an already planned exercise. "to be ready for the exercise" that sounds like some BS.

If they have a big Sept exercise, that means vital stocks are already enroute (or already in place) for probably 14-21 days or so of exercise. You load up that many troops (who probably have 5-10 days supply on hand with them). Then you are ready for a nice solid 4 weeks of campaign before even worrying about bringing in additional supplies.

With NATO units dealing with COVID, would be a perfect time to gobble up Ukraine, don't know if the West would do much about it.

And i don't know if we like the results if we did.

Anyone know if the Russians are getting frisky anywhere else? They have really pushed the Alaska ADIZ recently...Not new, but its been more frequent. Wonder what's up around the Baltic States.

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
www.dailymail.co.uk...

President Vladimir Putin has ordered snap military drills involving 150,000 troops along with hundreds of aircraft and naval vessels on the border of Ukraine.

Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said the drill is intended to test the readiness of troops ahead of the Caucasus 2020 war games, due to take place in September.

The announcement came just hours after Ukraine's Defence Minister Andriy Taran announced his country would be holding its own drills the same month, and encouraged NATO forces to join.

Taran has warned that Caucasus 2020 could be used as cover to invade Ukraine, where Russian-backed separatists have been fighting the government since 2014.

This whole situation seems odd. The timing is extremely curious as well. Could well be nothing beyond business as usual and I hope that's the case, but definitely worth keeping an eye on. Also, while I'm sure there will be precautions in place, why in the hell would Ukraine openly invite NATO countries military to "drills" right now? Most NATO countries are dealing with COVID. Ukraine has reported low number of infected in their military compared to most other NATO countries. They also curiously postponed planned September drills in April over COVID, and the numbers have done nothing but climb rapidly since then, so why now?

uacrisis.org...
www.ukrinform.net...

There may be a lot more to this than just "drills."

Timing is a bit suss. Is there an election coming up?

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SrWingCommanderWith NATO units dealing with COVID, would be a perfect time to gobble up Ukraine, don't know if the West would do much about it.

And i don't know if we like the results if we did.

Anyone know if the Russians are getting frisky anywhere else? They have really pushed the Alaska ADIZ recently...Not new, but its been more frequent. Wonder what's up around the Baltic States.

Nobody gave two skids when Vlad gobbled up Crimea and Donestk................... It was a done deal with the West for some deal somewhere like not supplying the Taliban or letting the Persians go FULL ON nuke. These things are done backWOODS behind the TABLES by TPTB.......................... Same time my mate from Azerbaijan who lived in Ukraine most of his life (and claimed he screwed the ex Presidents daughter) says no ay would Vlad want the full Ukraine. He saifd half are Nazis and would be a hindrance for Vlad. Maybe just a bit more in the East but not the full on Ukraine....... According to

posted on Jul, 20 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

If half of Ukraine is Nazi, historically that would be the only excuse Vlad would need, and would probably get him points in the Wests far left progressives.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: SrWingCommander

If half of Ukraine is Nazi, historically that would be the only excuse Vlad would need, and would probably get him points in the Wests far left progressives.

I seriously doubt (as explained by my Azeri Ukranian friend) that Vlad would want the whole of Ukraine. He's got the best bits already being the industrial east plus the port of Crimea. But the rest is just a source of trouble for anyone who controls it, too much trouble even for Kiev to rule the place. I'm told Vlad would actually like a bit more, Odessa and Marysopel, but as far as the rest is concerned he'd rather let someone else run the place as long as NATO is kept out

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Exactly. Not going to happen.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

Exactly. Not going to happen.

Too right

Vlad can just play the long game when it comes to Ukraine. As long as it doesn't go NATO then at some point Moscow will get it back within its orbit. Economic ties, energy, shared Slavic heritage and history will see some form of understanding in the future. They can hand out as many cookies in the Maiden as they want but its geography is the one thing the west can't change and Vlad will just sit things out and slowly turn the screws

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

When I said not going to happen I meant a military takeover by Russia.
I do think there are too many of 'our' sleepers in Ukraine for that to work out, because NATO would push them back.

We have a lot of military, formal connections with Ukraine too (the US for sure). Same 'creep' going on in Poland too. Been there also lol
Interesting games.

posted on Jul, 21 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

When I said not going to happen I meant a military takeover by Russia.
I do think there are too many of 'our' sleepers in Ukraine for that to work out, because NATO would push them back.

We have a lot of military, formal connections with Ukraine too (the US for sure). Same 'creep' going on in Poland too. Been there also lol
Interesting games.

Oh yeah for sure, Poland's been handed to Berlin anyway they get it this time. Sure know where you're coming from on the colonisation of Ukraine by NATO assets, the creep is on and it's probably a tactic by Vlad to let the someone else have a go with an untameable land. It's gone this ways then back to Russia then this way and almost back to Russia but cookies sealed that one at the time. Long term who knows what Vlad can do a deal with Donald, NATO can be bought off with deals we can only guess at. Lots of chess pieces on Planet earth and lots of nukes to hand out / or not if the right deal is done. Like you say .................. "Interesting

top topics

join