It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irony of the Hollywood sign

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I’m kind of surprised this hasn’t been brought up but I’m sure it’s on the hush and I think I know why.

Just a bit of history I recently learned in researching the history of the Hollywood sign.

The sign was built by a developer in 1923 for the sole purpose of promoting and advertising for their development of “segregated “housing, targeting sales towards the people of the film, music and art industry, which was primarily white in the day. The sign at the time said HOLLYWOODLAND which we all know now as just Hollywood. The sign has now become an iconic and very symbolic landmark that some idolize, especially the film industry.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

The sign was erected in 1923 and originally read "HOLLYWOODLAND". Its purpose was to advertise the name of a new segregated housing development in the hills above the Hollywood district of Los Angeles.

In light of what’s going on with all the statues and monuments today, it seems to be one of the elephants in the room.

It literally stood for “white supremacy” of the day. If people are so hell bent on rewriting history and wanting every statue, monument and landmark tied to racism removed, why is it still standing? Where’s the rage? Why are there no calls to take down the HW sign?

If Lady Antebellum feels the need to change their name because of a connection to a plantation home why does the HW sign go unnoticed?

For the record, I don’t want it removed as I think most of what’s happening in the “cancel culture” is absolute insanity. On the flip side, I also think it would be a wake up call to Hollywood to have there beloved sign threatened for removal due to their self inflicted “cancel culture” nonsense.

Would Hollywood and the left have any sense of awareness that maybe they’ve gone to far if it were on the cutting block?

Curious about others thoughts on the matter.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

I don't think about it. Just like I don't think about some band changing their name or anything else people tell me I need to be doing.

There are so many useful idiots on both sides getting sucked into minor distractions while our country rapidly goes to hell because our elected leaders are garbage.

edit on 13-7-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

I got an idea.

Instead of removing the Hollywood sign, how about we remove Southern California all together.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think the problem with lady antebellum is the word lady. Antebellum simply means pre war.

As for the Hollywood sign, tear it down. Build multi-million homes in the Hollywood hills only the elite can afford.

Who cares. It’s just a wack sign. You can’t even hike by it anymore like when I was kid.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

May I sit next to you in the re-education camp?

Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top???

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Yup, Hollywood sign should go, just like how Yale University should be renamed.. Elihu Yale, was one of the biggest slave traders of his time.. Funny how they wont cancel that name yet, considering his past.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Mandela effect. It used to be HOLLYWOOD HILLS rather than HOLLYWOODLAND.
But, as Mandela effects work, there's no way to prove it.

Hey! Anyone here remember it as HOLLYWOOD HILLS?

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Yeah man, like that show "The Hollywood Hillbillys"

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
May I sit next to you in the re-education camp?

Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top???

Sure, why not. I'll probably forget to pack a sandwich anyway.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Prehaps testament to the silence surrounding the issue, your thread comes up as the 4th search result in DDG.

Looks like there was a petition to remove the sign a couple years back. It didn't receive much support.

Perhaps HW's collective "wokeness" (I've been dying to deploy this word!) is considered sufficient penance for their symbols of whiteness to remain standing?

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Mandela effect. It used to be HOLLYWOOD HILLS rather than HOLLYWOODLAND.
But, as Mandela effects work, there's no way to prove it.

Hey! Anyone here remember it as HOLLYWOOD HILLS?

It’s said a few things over the years but I don’t think it ever said Hollywoodhills. It did say Hollywoodland in the beginning though. I know at one point it said Hollyweed too, among a few other promotional ad name changes over the years.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Looks like there was a petition to remove the sign a couple years back. It didn't receive much support.

Yes, I saw that.

I also noticed that most sites dealing with the history of the sign have chosen not to reference the fact it was originally used as an ad for “segregated” housing. I thought that was a bit convenient for them to do so, as to not draw unnecessary attention to the fact.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
They are not tearing that sign down. Homeless like to sleep up there and do drugs. Needles all over the place. I walked up it years ago and it looked like a homeless encampment. The wealthy would love it if it was torn down. Major problem area and close to their mansions.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
I think the problem with lady antebellum is the word lady. Antebellum simply means pre war.

As for the Hollywood sign, tear it down. Build multi-million homes in the Hollywood hills only the elite can afford.

Who cares. It’s just a wack sign. You can’t even hike by it anymore like when I was kid.

I’ve hiked it a couple of times myself when I lived in Hollywood, access is difficult. I heard that the police have installed cameras and additional fencing up there now.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Sure, why not. I'll probably forget to pack a sandwich anyway.

You

But okay. What's your druthers? I want to come prepared, PB&J? Club? Grilled ham and cheese?

Oh wait! They may not allow me near an open flame... better stick to cold.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

i saw a guy on instagram say, 'we need to tear [whatever he was crying about] down and build housing projects...'

to which i replied-

'hey, you could go to school, study, get a cool gig, and then save money for a house, thats what im doing.'

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I didn't take the trail. I didn't even know there was one. Climbed up the side, but your right, not easy. Very dry and crumbling dirt. That could be part of it. Too difficult. Angry mobs are too lazy for that job.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Holly is is a genus of about 480 species of evergreen or deciduous trees, shrubs, and climbers.
The druids worshipped Holly as a symbol of mother Holle or Hel, the goddess of the underworld.
It was the favourite source of magic wands. Hollywood was meant to be the "place of magic" and indeed it is.
It's used to properly visualize, spell and program the reality with art.
edit on 13/7/2020 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
tear it down, obviously.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
But okay. What's your druthers? I want to come prepared, PB&J? Club? Grilled ham and cheese?

B.L.T.

Boadicea, Lettuce and Tomato.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join