It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all ATS Super Sleuths!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Does anyone know what this might be?

The first item is a medallion. Nothing on the back.

The 2nd item is a weird button maybe? I thought it was a ring at first, but the way it is shaped, it will not fit on a human finger...lol.

These were in my grandfather's belongings. Never seen them before....

edit on 12-7-2020 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Bottom 2 are boy scout....
No
Yes no

Brb

edit on 12-7-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

The Pour le Mérite (German: [puːɐ̯ lə meˈʀiːt];[3] French: [puʁ lə me.ʁit], lit. 'For Merit') is an order of merit (German: Verdienstorden) established in 1740 by King Frederick II of Prussia. The Pour le Mérite was awarded as both a military and civil honour and ranked, along with the Order of the Black Eagle, the Order of the Red Eagle and the House Order of Hohenzollern, among the highest orders of merit in the Kingdom of Prussia. After 1871, when the various German kingdoms, grand duchies, duchies, principalities and Hanseatic city states had come together under Prussian leadership to form the federally structured German Empire, the Prussian honours gradually assumed, at least in public perception, the status of honours of Imperial Germany, even though many honours of the various German states continued to be awarded.

Pour le Mérite
(Military class)Awarded by the King of PrussiaTypeNeck decorationEligibilityMilitary personnelStatusExtinct as a military class; civilian class still awardedStatisticsEstablished

between 7 June and 15 June 1740[1]1810 (pure military class)

First awarded16 June 1740[1]Last awarded22 September 1918 (military class only)Total awarded5415 (military class)[2]PrecedenceNext (lower)House Order of Hohenzollern
Pour le Mérite

Pour le Mérite with oak leaves
Ribbon bars of the order

The Pour le Mérite was an honour conferred both for military (1740–1918) and civil (1740–1810, after 1842 as a separate class) services. It was awarded strictly as a recognition of extraordinary personal achievement, rather than as a general marker of social status or a courtesy-honour, although certain restrictions of social class and military rank were applied. The order was secular, and membership endured for the remaining lifetime of the recipient, unless renounced or revoked.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

The second one looks like a boyscout scarf holder.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thanks! See...I knew someone on this site would know what it was immediately! Lol...

Okay, Boy Scouts....that's one down.

The medallion anyone???

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
Thanks! See...I knew someone on this site would know what it was immediately! Lol...

Okay, Boy Scouts....that's one down.

The medallion anyone???

See my edit above.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Damn, now I got to dig up my weblo, cub and boy scout keepsake box... I know that I have that scarf holder in brass and lead. Even one from when I was an explorer with the Washoe county sheriff's office.
edit on 12-7-2020 by Bigburgh because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Thanks guys! I appreciate your help.... Both of these items belong to my husband's grandfather who passed away a couple of years ago. My husband's family are Prussian descendants so this makes sense.... His mother handed us an old box of his grandfather's things and no one knew the story behind these items and where they might have come from....

ETA...now we just have to figure out where the medallion came from. From reading the link you guys provided, it could be a military medal or a civil class medal. But it doesn't appear to be handed out often....
edit on 12-7-2020 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Glad to help, or at least get you headed in the right direction. 🤗

Deleted to keep on subject 😊

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   

It was a civil honour too.
Try finding out your husband's grandfather's (same) genealogy. You might find some pretty neat things

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I still have my boyscout tie clasp. I have no idea what the first thing is though. We wore a bandana around our mouths when there was strong winds or sand or snow blowing around.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Yeah Boy Scout or Cub Scout but it's not a scarf holder did you guys know Boy Scouts don't wear scarf they wear neckerchiefs.

It's a neckerchief slide oh, wait, don't tell me that's only here in Texas

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

We wore a bandana around our mouths when there was strong winds or sand or snow blowing around.

Sounds like you were prepared🤗

The Neckerchief 😊

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Lol...
Beat me to it.
I lived in Riverside California, I used mine to combat smog in the early 70's. Mira Loma to be exact, 18 miles from Mount Baldy and could never see the mountain unless the Santa Ana winds blew though.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Something i know a little about. WWI AND WWII war citations. Some are very valuable.

DO NOT SELL UNTIL YOU KNOW VALUE.

If you have the paperwork for this one medal, proving your grandfather earned it..... much mulah....

Caution: A lot of fakes out here due to value of original medals. There is a whole line of excellent fakes.

If yours is an original they are sold at auction houses around the world. There are auction catalogs for this stuff.

edit on 13-7-2020 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

The second one looks like a boyscout scarf holder.

Sounds like you're talking "woggles" to me.

woggle

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Thanks for the advice but we would never sell it. We don't need the money and the sentimental value is more important to us....

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
a reply to: rickymouse

We wore a bandana around our mouths when there was strong winds or sand or snow blowing around.

Sounds like you were prepared🤗

The Neckerchief 😊

I will have to get a Neckerchief again and dig out my old boy scout clasp to use in the stores I guess. I never could figure out why some people call them neckerchiefs and some call them bandanas?

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   

The Pour le Merite medal Although it may sound incongruous Germany's highest military medal awarded during World War One was the decidedly French sounding Pour le Merite (also known the as 'The Blue Max').

The award dates back to 1667 when, in the German state of Brandenburg, the Ordre de la Generosite - the Order of Generosity - was created by Frederick William I. Given that French was the language of the royal court the naming of the merit award would have appeared a natural choice.

I had a great uncle, I am told, that defected from the Prussian cavalry. I so wish I knew more about that story - but it's all lost now :-)

edit on 7/14/2020 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join