It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Bonhomme Richard on fire at Naval Base San Diego

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
USS Bonhomme Richard (Wasp Class LHD) is currently on fire at the San Diego Naval Base after an explosion on the vessel.

www.thedrive.com...

The ship is already lost, unfortunately. The local firefighters have abandoned their efforts to fight the fire and retreated from the pier.
The fire suppression systems were offline due to yard work and the fire is spreading through the ship now.

The crew was evacuated from the ship (only a few minor injuries reported so far) and there was no ammunition on board.
USS Fitzgerald and USS Russell were docked on the same pier but they managed to tow them away.

live feed:
www.youtube.com...

edit on 12-7-2020 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I wonder what exploded if there was no ammo on board?

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight
The ship is already lost, unfortunately. The local firefighters have abandoned their efforts to fight the fire and retreated from the pier.

The live feed shows firefighters still using hoses:

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

just from ships in the harbor, the ship has been abandoned

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Which refutes your point that the 'ship is lost'. Firefighting is still occurring.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   

They're not fighting the fire, they're controlling it. The fire is spreading through the ship unchecked and a couple of hoses pumping water on the flight deck won't change this, unfortunately.

Loss doesn't mean it will burn to the waterline. The damage inside the ship will be too extensive to make repairs feasible though.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I wonder if the fire is big enough..is the vessel salvageable? or has the integrity of the steel been affected?

I ask, because I used to watch my stepdad make knives, there was heating used to soften, and harden the steel.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Any word on how the fire started? Sabotage maybe?

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Loss doesn't mean it will burn to the waterline. The damage inside the ship will be too extensive to make repairs feasible though.

I think I'll wait for the Navy to make a comment on that.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Smarties

There were reports of an explosion. More likely than not it was a yard work accident.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

this good enough?

twitter.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   
CNN says a tremendous cloud of Noxious smoke is enveloping parts of San Diego. A tremendous danger to Residents... with potential long-term consequences.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
CNN says a tremendous cloud of Noxious smoke is enveloping parts of San Diego. A tremendous danger to Residents... with potential long-term consequences.

Look at the livestream in the OP, it looks pretty bad, no doubt some toxicity there.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

There were reports of an explosion. More likely than not it was a yard work accident.

A welding accident aboard this ship is what's being reported. It is in the dock for maintenance. No deaths or life-threatening injuries.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Look at the livestream in the OP, it looks pretty bad, no doubt some toxicity there.

I hope everyone in San Diego is wearing their masks!

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I guess a welding accident is possible, or electrical fire.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

I hope everyone in San Diego is wearing their masks!

Not thinking they will help much..for this. Maybe better than none.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

USS Miami was intentionally set on fire by some nutjob who wanted to go home early.

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Damn!

Thats crazy, the things people will do to avoid work! The job is sure not for everyone.

edit on 12-7-2020 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
just adding I read 11 are injured..Oh I just checked again and the count is up to 18 www.dailymail.co.uk...

A welding accident aboard this ship is what's being reported. It is in the dock for maintenance. No deaths or life-threatening injuries.

edit on 12-7-2020 by research100 because: changed number added link

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join