It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Of The Time Being Right Is The Wrong Thing To Do

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

You are such a Smartypants hehehe

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I don't agree at all.
One of the biggest problems society faces is 'feelings over fact'. It's led to what I refer to the 'me' culture. It's all about 'me'. Everything from participation trophies to Supreme Court judges making decisions based on political pressure driven by how a decision might make people feel.

I say be honest and tell the truth. If a person feels bad because they are shown to be wrong, that is their issue.

I'd say your thread title would be more accurate as "Most of the time being right is not always popular with the 'me' culture of today".

edit on 9/7/2020 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
a reply to: muzzleflash

No, I know what she's getting at. It's nothing I haven't heard before.

You aren't saying anything I haven't heard of or dealt with before either.

There's a reason why I'm single. I've been married, and after bending backwards for her for far too long realized that it wasn't worth my sanity to be with someone who constantly needed to be coddled 24/7. I got tired of being told I wasn't doing enough, or that I didn't understand when she was the one who couldn't tell me how she was feeling. When she told me she wanted to have an open marriage I divorced her.

To each their own. If you need to be with someone, or need to be in a relationship to be happy that's on you.

I'm completely capable of being happy on my own and enjoy the friendships that I have.

But, good on you for assuming that I'm a miserable being.

This is ridiculous.

I realize the Bible appears "Wrong" but if both you and her followed it blindly you'd probably be together and actually better off.

And it probably should be that way too.

It's simple, there's no Faith left.
So most relationships are #$@!%...

People are selfish, narcissistic, predatory, disloyal and dishonorable, etc.

So you know what?
As much as I loathe to say the words ---
Being right is usually very wrong.

The road to Hell is paved in good intentions.
It's because we are all idiots.
This is very important to grasp.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
I don't agree at all.
One of the biggest problems society faces is 'feelings over fact'. It's led to what I refer to the 'me' culture. It's all about 'me'. Everything from participation trophies to Supreme Court judges making decisions based on political pressure driven by how a decision might make people feel.

I say be honest and tell the truth. If a person feels bad because they are shown to be wrong, that is their issue.

I'd say your thread title would be more accurate as "Most of the time being right is not always popular with the 'me' culture of today".

The OP gave a very short ambiguous post asserting an irony.

Because their post was actually vague, we interpret it and post our own tinted view colored by our personal preconceptions.

Yours was political.
Mine was relationships.

That's so funny we are so unaware of our bias.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

I don't agree at all.

Because their post was actually vague, we interpret it and post our own tinted view colored by our personal preconceptions.

Yours was political.
Mine was relationships.

The theme of my post was actually societal, not political.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I don't agree at all.

Yours was political.
Mine was relationships.

Your post I just quoted is you playing politics with words to compartmentalize your self imagine so you can resolve your cognitive dissonance over being political alllll the time.

You're even political about how you distance yourself from being called political.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

That's how unaware you are of your own bias.

You're currently in denial of there even existing a subject to be bias of.

You're at least 3 layers deep in your own mental bs.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I don't agree at all.

Yours was political.
Mine was relationships.

Your post I just quoted is you playing politics with words to compartmentalize your self imagine so you can resolve your cognitive dissonance over being political alllll the time.

You're even political about how you distance yourself from being called political.

That's how unaware you are of your own bias.

You're currently in denial of there even existing a subject to be bias of.

You're at least 3 layers deep in your own mental bs.

I see.
Thanks for the word salad.
I am sure it made sense to you.

Your reaction to my post is exactly what I was referring to. I simply don't care how you perceive things. That it is a problem for you. For some reason, which only you can fathom for yourself, you felt the need to create conflict. I hope you can solve your issues for yourself.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   

a reply to: MissSmartypants

You are such a Smartypants hehehe

How very right you are (ahh the irony).

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I don't agree at all.

It is the opposite of the "me" culture. You admit that you purposely make people feel bad and you don't care. That's a perfect example of you putting yourself first at the expense of someone else's feelings. The need to inform other's of how right you are often has a spirit of meaness and arrogance behind it. And believe me, I love being right and lording it over people as much as anyone else (I am MissSmartypants after all) but I also know that it's self serving and only serves to make people either become defensive or makes them feel bad. And that's just plain wrong and you know it as well as I do. And I bet you're probably feeling pretty defensive right now. See how that works?
edit on 7/9/2020 by MissSmartypants because: Edit

edit on 7/9/2020 by MissSmartypants because: Edit

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

I don't agree at all.

It is the opposite of the "me" culture. You admit that you purposely make people feel bad and you don't care. That's a perfect example of you putting yourself first at the expense of someone else's feelings. The need to inform other's of how right you are often has a spirit of meaness and arrogance behind it. And believe me, I love being right and lording it over people as much as anyone else (I am MissSmartypants after all) but I also know that it's self serving and only serves to make people either become defensive or makes them feel bad. And that's just plain wrong and you know it as well as I do. And I bet you're probably feeling pretty defensive right now.

If stating a view makes someone feel bad, that is their issue to deal with.
I do not purposely set out to offend anyone, but I certainly don't care at all if someone feels offended by what I say.
Defensive? Not at all. How could I possibly be defensive or upset at what someone else thinks?

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I don't agree at all.

It is the opposite of the "me" culture. You admit that you purposely make people feel bad and you don't care. That's a perfect example of you putting yourself first at the expense of someone else's feelings. The need to inform other's of how right you are often has a spirit of meaness and arrogance behind it. And believe me, I love being right and lording it over people as much as anyone else (I am MissSmartypants after all) but I also know that it's self serving and only serves to make people either become defensive or makes them feel bad. And that's just plain wrong and you know it as well as I do. And I bet you're probably feeling pretty defensive right now.

I do not purposely set out to offend anyone, but I certainly don't care at all if someone feels offended by what I say.
Defensive? Not at all. How could I possibly be defensive or upset at what someone else thinks?

And yet you just had to post a reply defending your point of view. Couldn't help yourself, could you?

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I don't agree at all.

And yet you just had to post a reply defending your point of view. Couldn't help yourself, could you?

Defending ones point of view is not being defensive.
Quite the opposite.
I am familiar with forum strategies whereby a poster will attempt to close a discussion down, by linking any response or challenge they might get to a negative. That doesn't work with me. You'll need to up your game.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I don't agree at all.

Quite the opposite.
I am familiar with forum strategies whereby a poster will attempt to close a discussion down, by linking any response or challenge they might get to a negative. That doesn't work with me. You'll need to up your game.

No. What I need to do is take my own good advice and be more understanding. Obviously life has given you reasons to be the way you are.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
There are some situations in which this applies, and others where it's absolutely essential and morally right to reveal the truth.
edit on 9/7/2020 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

ALWAYS choose being kind and compassionate over being right. ALWAYS.
And when you know, deep down in your heart, that you're right and someone else is wrong... it's because God gave YOU that knowledge to help YOU... and NOT because God needed you to tell the other person how wrong they are. God will tell them Himself, in His own way and in His own time. It's not YOUR job. It's YOUR job to be loving and kind in spite of it.

Isn't it funny when you end up in a position where you have to really take this message to heart. How do people like that find you and make you choose between reality and empathy. Is it friendship? Or is it being a crutch for someone who refuses to admit they need help?

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

ALWAYS choose being kind and compassionate over being right. ALWAYS.
And when you know, deep down in your heart, that you're right and someone else is wrong... it's because God gave YOU that knowledge to help YOU... and NOT because God needed you to tell the other person how wrong they are. God will tell them Himself, in His own way and in His own time. It's not YOUR job. It's YOUR job to be loving and kind in spite of it.

Isn't it funny when you end up in a position where you have to really take this message to heart. How do people like that find you and make you choose between reality and empathy. Is it friendship? Or is it being a crutch for someone who refuses to admit they need help?

How do these people find me? Well, you found me on ATS...so there's one example.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
There are some situations in which this applies, and others where it's absolutely essential and morally right to reveal the truth.
Of course. Discernment.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I don't agree at all.

Quite the opposite.

No. What I need to do is take my own good advice and be more understanding. Obviously life has given you reasons to be the way you are.

You are correct in that life has given me a reason to be the way I am.
I was brought up to tell the truth and be honest and I have found in life that it is always the best policy - even when dealing with those who are offended by the truth.
Being more understanding does not mean that one should hide or run from truth because it might offend - that is simply playing along with a false narrative so as not to offend. It's a common form of virtue signalling. A facade to make people feel better about being wrong whilst projecting virtue. That's a very dangerous path that leads to real issues in society - which is exactly where we are today. Utter lies driving emotional responses.

It is far better to tell someone why you think they are wrong and then debate the issue. Usually, in those circumstances, both parties learn something. That is true understanding.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I don't agree at all.

Quite the opposite.

You are correct in that life has given me a reason to be the way I am.
I was brought up to tell the truth and be honest and I have found in life that it is always the best policy - even when dealing with those who are offended by the truth.
Being more understanding does not mean that one should hide or run from truth because it might offend - that is simply playing along with a false narrative so as not to offend. It's a common form of virtue signalling. A facade to make people feel better about being wrong whilst projecting virtue. That's a very dangerous path that leads to real issues in society - which is exactly where we are today. Utter lies driving emotional responses.

It is far better to tell someone why you think they are wrong and then debate the issue. Usually, in those circumstances, both parties learn something. That is true understanding.

People are much more likely to take correction to heart if they can see that it's coming from a place of genuine care and concern for their well being....and not just to point out their flaws. It's about service to others and not oneupmanship.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join