It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pistol Shopping

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2020 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Nothing as of yet, but am leaning towards the Sig

posted on Sep, 17 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
a reply to: Riffrafter

Nothing as of yet, but am leaning towards the Sig

The Sig is a beautiful weapon.

I'd own one if I could afford it.

Let me know what you end up with.

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 17 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   
My only advice (and i hesitate to tell people this due to my own desire to serve myself on this): buy whatever you buy chambered in .40

The rounds are generally pretty cheap. The stopping power of a .40cal is well established. And no one buys that particular round, so the availability is always there.

Whereas I haven't found 9mm on a store shelf in almost a year, i can find .40cal any time I look.

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   
40 cal is garbage, I feel like I conned the buyers when I sold all of mine and ammo - you need to put rounds on target, not a round - the sharp and harder to manage recoil of the 40 makes this more difficult and there has been no evidence to show 40 out performs in actual use modern 9mm rounds.

The M&P 2.0 is decent.the higher bore axis of the SIG and complicated by comparison operation makes it less desirable for anyone but LARPers and people who buy xbox and say canned cheese is just as good as real cheese.

Glock does give a discount to LEO just like other guns that normally sell for less.
edit on 19-9-2020 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: circuitsports

Opinion noted.

I've a couple of 9mm. They are paperweights as finding ammo is impossible, and the cost of what i have found is double from 2 years ago.

Meanwhile i am able to grab a couple of boxes of .40 any time I want.

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Luckily picked up a bunch of federal 9mm right before the prices skyrocketed. I’m loaded up on 9mm, 6.5 creedmoor and 30-06.

posted on Sep, 22 2020 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

I have the GLOCK 17 and the SMITH & WESSON M&P 9M2.0 and I will say SMITH & WESSON wins hands down. It feels better in the grip and i have 5 in and it is by far more accurate. But you can't go wrong with the GLOCK either. If you're looking for something to be carried with you. If not you have better pistols for ranges and even better for shooting but that depends on why you want the pistol
edit on 9/22/20 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Thanks, just noticing this now. Pretty much the requirement for me is concealed carry (not frequently) and home defense. A friend of mine has a S&W which he showed me, and it did feel fine to hold. He also is a big fan of Ruger.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Just received my Connecticut CCW pistol permit recently, so the window shopping is over. Time to start narrowing down the field and selecting one or two.

Thanks for everyone's input again in this thread.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

I have the Sig .40 Smith, it's my go to because the wife can handle this one as well and it doesn't have an internal hammer like a Glock.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

There is a difference between striker fired and internal hammer. The Astra 600 and Astra 400 are examples of internal hammers. It is also one of very few 9mm with a fixed barrel so it kicks much harder than you would expect. Thus the nickname of pipe wrench is well earned.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I just don't like Glocks, never have.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Just received my Connecticut CCW pistol permit recently, so the window shopping is over. Time to start narrowing down the field and selecting one or two.

Thanks for everyone's input again in this thread.

There's a sort of new 9mm that came out in 2019 called a Stoeger-STR 9. I watched tons of videos and reviews and the only negative review people had was that the trigger was a little heavier than other pistols in its class. It's a $299.99 pistol with the durability and features of a pistol 2 and 3 times as expensive. It's a bit bulky for carrying concealed but wearing mine holstered to my side, my jacket covers it and nobody knows it's there. I'm in an open carry state so having a CCW license wouldn't allow me to carry anywhere I can't already carry.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I picked up a Springfield XDM Elite 9mm with a 3.8" barrel. I love it. I'm not a fan of Glock or Sig. I also generally like a longer barrel, but this has enough weight to it that the recoil isn't bad at all, and the sights are really easy to use.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Forget all the caliber "mines better" comparisons hoopla, along with manufacturer braggadocio, do go with what fits and feels most natural in your hand. This will allow rounds to go where intended much more than any writeup, comparison or someone elses pet gun will ever do.

A pistol can have the most stellar writeups and recommendation but if it doesn't fit right it'll never live up to claims with you personally. Find couple with natural fit and point feel - then select based on writeups, reliability.

Good ol CZ-75B happens fit me like a glove and outshoots my Sig, Glock and others due to near perfect fit.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 08:18 AM
link   

a reply to: dragonridr

Thanks, just noticing this now. Pretty much the requirement for me is concealed carry (not frequently) and home defense. A friend of mine has a S&W which he showed me, and it did feel fine to hold. He also is a big fan of Ruger.

I have the S&W 9mm and it's a great handgun. Balanced, shoots true and I've never had a jam or misfire.

Good luck.

edit on 3/1/2021 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

That's great advice. I was asking a buddy of mine, who is a firearms instructor, how to figure out what to buy my wife. He told me to take her to the range and let her find what fits her hand best, let her shoot it and see how it feels, and then base my decision off of what she thinks feels best.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I’m a Beretta guy myself, but I have the paws for them.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
I’m a Beretta guy myself, but I have the paws for them.

I have a couple, my dad's 9MM service pistol and a .28 ankle gun. The latter is called the Noisy Cricket for obvious reasons.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

My edc is the M9A3, but before that I was carrying a PPQ M2 Navy.

Have you shot the Canik TP9 Elite Combat? They're pretty smooth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join