It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia announces spending shift

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm not a fan of skomo, but his handling of covid has been very good, and now this. He just went up a notch or 2 in my book.

It's an important move beefing up our military, now if he can secure us some fuel supplies he might even get a thumbs up.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm not a fan of skomo, but his handling of covid has been very good, and now this. He just went up a notch or 2 in my book.

It's an important move beefing up our military, now if he can secure us some fuel supplies he might even get a thumbs up.

He’s alright. Shame he got sprung playing truant in Hawaii while the joint lit up earlier and we barely got touched by the plandemic, so she’ll be right.
At least he’s not embarrassing himself with the un like bloody ruddy lol.
Fricken sideshow.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 03:47 AM
link   
We have already signed up for Global Hawk to support the P-8s (I think) so that would need additional money.

Loyal Wingman would be years away but surely money invested in that development, LRASM stands to reason, whilst an invasion wouldn't be sustainable (I agree with the 1% for idiocy) it could only be done by sea, the only real counter to it is subs and long range missiles.

I wonder if they will consider a further buy of F-35's.

Also, attack helicopters, if the only way to some is by sea they will come through the islands, attack helos off the LHD would be a good weapon once the F-35 had been through them.

Just got to be careful as we are trying to spend out of a recession, what kind of offset will we try and get or onshore manufacturing capability.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I’d give the top third to the black fellers.
Hand it over, anyone arriving illegally does a year under aboriginal law in the top end.
Anyone invading is rooted.
That’s top end. Move Canberra to Hobart.
Currently a tanker skin full of troops offloading at Botany Bay could have boots in Canberra within four hours.
Provided you can make it past Holsworthy.
So move the Pollies to Hobart. Then their out of the way.
Now there’s nothing but beaches and sunshine.
What are they gunna do? Steal my sunshine? Lol
a reply to: Forensick

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Probably wishing they didn’t take everyone’s guns. Could use all the help they could get in a hypothetical Chinese invasion.

posted on Aug, 12 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   
7.5 billion extra per year to be more self sustained in it's defense is hardly earth shattering for an entire continent that China would love to occupy tomorrow.

Probably really to fight off the snow aliens and south pole nazis

posted on Sep, 29 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Buy them each an ar15 and give them 1000 rounds of ammo and blow the other 5 billion on coke and hookers.

Not only wont China invade, they may actually consider downsizing their own country a little bit.
edit on 29-9-2020 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2020 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: circuitsports
7.5 billion extra per year to be more self sustained in it's defense is hardly earth shattering for an entire continent that China would love to occupy tomorrow.

Probably really to fight off the snow aliens and south pole nazis

It's not earth shattering, in comparison to American spending, but $7.5 billion is almost 20% of the current defence budget of $38.7 billion.

There's a lot of toys that Australia lacks, some are on the shopping list already.

And politically, up until the last few months, and especially the last few weeks, they haven't been very aggressive on China here in Australia, our dear politicians.
China has given them no choice, and even still, they're being reluctant on ripping China a new a*hole publicly, and they could very easily. China is hitting our economy hard, one industry after the next, But our politicians maintain our export of iron ore, gas, copper and other things to China, that China needs to keep their economic momentum going. Without Australias natural resources being supplied in bulk to China, China will struggle. We can cripple them, but our politicians are gutless.

So, for years now, we've been told that China is a friend of ours, that our relationship with them is mutually beneficial. Except now China is trying to flex its muscles and move in on Australia's sphere on influence.
Up until now, and even right now, most Australian's still don't view China as an immediate threat or even a threat in the near future. They are oblivious to it, they are ignorant and blissfully unaware.

But this is changing, slowly. And thank God the process in changing public opinion has started. It is much overdue.
So the incremental increases in our defence spending are a necessity for public consumption.
If things were different they could throw more money at Defence quicker.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Boris Johnson has also just announced billions of spending on our military and to roll out/increase our military presence to Mediterranean and other places.
What are they all planning?
Biggest hike in defence spending since Cold War

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

They're planning to start taking China seriously.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Boris Johnson has also just announced billions of spending on our military and to roll out/increase our military presence to Mediterranean and other places.

Rainbows
Jane

I wonder if it's a geopolitical coincidence that this was announced in the wake of the US election cycle where the most hard-line administration on Chinese affairs in many decades is likely on the way out the door, to be replaced by one that'll almost certainly pick up "Chinese engagement" right where the Obama administration left off.

If I were a non-US NATO member, I'd probably be wondering if I shouldn't begin to make some unilateral contingencies for defense, too.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

originally posted by: angelchemuel

Rainbows
Jane

I wonder if it's a geopolitical coincidence that this was announced in the wake of the US election cycle where the most hard-line administration on Chinese affairs in many decades is likely on the way out the door, to be replaced by one that'll almost certainly pick up "Chinese engagement" right where the Obama administration left off.

If I were a non-US NATO member, I'd probably be wondering if I shouldn't begin to make some unilateral contingencies for defense, too.

One of the anti-Trump arguments here in Australia has been that because of Trump we have had to spend more on defence.
I don't know how, because anti Trump rants usually don't make much sense.
But, we should be spending more, and we should be doing more for our own capabilities. Regardless of who is president in Washington.

The UK decision probably has more to do with their new found independence from the dictators in Brussels aka the EU.
They'll want to reassert British foreign policy, and they cant do that without a stronger military.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I keep reading all this stuff China says and does and all I say is "F*** China".

That's all I want our politicians to say too. I also just want to have them ban all China imports. Also ban exports to China.

I don't care if the economy drags a little bit because of it. We shouldn't need to put up with their harassing and bullying ways. The quicker we do this and show China we aren't going to put up with it, the better.

Also would love for the politicians to stop selling our land to China or leasing out ports or airports for 100 year leases for $1. Yes.... That's one dollar.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Peace through strength.

Countries knowing they will get nuked into prehistoric times if they start a world war is the only think preventing them from doing it.

posted on Dec, 3 2020 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE

The problem isn’t China or the Chinese, the problem is the CCP.

I agree that for years we have sold ourselves to them, but I would imagine the irony is that most of that defense spending comes from Chinese money either buying our raw material or tourism.

I don’t like them buying our ports and large farms though, asking for trouble.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join