It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATSNN a success?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Since the implementation of the new ATSNN I have noticed a few things:

From personal experience voting gets suspended for spurious reasons such as "bias" or "spelling" (note where I am from and there are others who's first language is not 'murican - whatever
)

Assuming that voting is not suspended and that it's actually fair and not affected by a bunch of board sitters ready to vote "en block" (something I am not convinced does not happen) then I think it could be called a success.

ATSNN is very active compared to the past.

There is a proliferation of stories covering many different topics and increased activity all around.

What say you?

Share your experiences.

The new ATSNN
or

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
There are some issues that come up from time to time that need attention:

1) Quality of writing and proper submission format. We're looking at ways to reward or otherwise call-out stellar submissions, rather than smack-down marginal ones.

2) Quality of source article. Using blogs or highly-biased sources shouldn't happen.

3) Bias creeping into the opening intro. Stating your opinion or spin is fine, but it should stay out of the intro.

4) A seeming proliferation of right or left leaning articles with very little "really unbiased" content.

That being said...

I really do think the new format will prove to be an important aspect of ATS, and everyone seems to be giving it a honest effort. Overall, I'm happy with the progress.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I think ATSNN is more dynamic - and more interesting.

Everyone brings their own unique energy to the news board - and sometimes it's positively buzzing. There are new voices, new perspectives, new interests.

...I would like to see some kind of advice 'program' for reporters - some of the glitches are quite minor, but they can prevent good submissions from moving forward.

Several dynamite writers have emerged - and more are coming. It's a great place to be IMO.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Neither. I think it still needs some work of course. But it is better then the old ATSNN as the White Page IS more active and might draw more people in. I know not everyones first language is English(or merican as you put it
) but we need to keep the quality of ATSNN as high as possible. When this new system started I noticed a smallish dropoff in quality of submissions as well as more duplicates. ATSNN is not just another Forum. It's a News Network which should have certain standards to adhere too. Just my 2 cents.

[edit on 14-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

And that means YOU and anyone who has in any way contributed to ATSNN!!

After all it is all about YOU the members of this site that make it happen or not

I came here just less than a year ago and was held captive here by many things .. among the top on the list was ATSNN... In time with the help of the likes of Banshee and Valhall I was able to post news on my own at some point.. But I am sure at some point some wondered why the hell they had let me in.

The evolution of ATSNN has been quite a show.. however I feel the best is yet to come ... and it is YOU all that will make that happen... Kudos to all.. Damned good show!!

Keep it up is all I can really say!!

And to the administration of ATS... Thank you for having the vision .. opening the doors to all ... You've made something awesome here!!

ATSNN.. Above all the rest.. and only at AboveTopSecret.com

[edit on 14-3-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I am a newsophile...I love reading news and writing it. I find the format quite good and have no issues with it. I only post things that really catch my eye and leave the politics and war things to other 'reporters'. most of my submission have been upgraded and I do admit to a feeling of pride when i see the u2u letting me know of an upgrade to one of my stories. I like the whole idea of ATSNN.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   

From personal experience voting gets suspended for spurious reasons such as "bias" or "spelling" (note where I am from and there are others who's first language is not 'murican - whatever
)

The thing is that used to happen a lot before the change - you just didn't notice it because it wasn't "out in the open".

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I have enjoyed immensely watching and participating in the growth and development of ATSNN and I hold high hopes for its future. I've been spending the greater portion of my time there lately. "MyATS for wecomeinpeace" is starting to feel a little neglected I fear.

A few of the things I like about ATS:

* The news is ATS community-driven, resulting in the majority of stories being items of interest to other members, as opposed to mainstream news outlets where you have to scan/sort through a plethora of articles that simply don't interest you.

* The ability to discuss and debate the news, and the digging up of related stories creates a nice balance between "dry" news and current affairs/news analysis.

* Every now and then there is a gem of a story mined from the deepest, darkest caverns of the Internet and brought out into the light for us all to see.

* Responding members are more likely to maintain calm, rational, polite, fact-based discussion.

* You can always jump back into ATS if you wish to discuss a less factual and more theoretical or unorthodox view of an event or issue (or reptoid
).

* Seeing the sterling examples of composition and research skills by ATS members and staff is a joy and a learning experience. My "dictionary.com" bookmark is nearly worn down to the bare code.

Salutations to all members and staff for their past and continuing contributions to ATSNN and a hearty to those who have made it possible.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I absolutely love it. I think it's a brilliant idea.

It's a tad annoying to see a post being edited, but its easy to see why, and is for the best. the speed at which we must be voting is amazing. I truly enjoy it.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It seems that ATSNN is becoming the focal point for the fanatical divide.

The biggest contributor seems to be the U2U claiming bias. I have received a couple of these and could not see where the problem was, unable to fix it, the story died.

Could we please have an official list of acceptable sources?

If not then let the source speak for itself. What I consider to be credible will not be credible to someone else and vise versa.

Question: is ATSNN considered a "credible" source to other boards?

Also, why have we created a class divide for ATSNN?

Why are some people allowed to post anything they want without submitting to the voting process?

Having the time to post 10 stories a day until they reach 20 accepted stories is no excuse for giving them special status.

I also believe that there are some organised groups voting in blocks. When you submit a story and only have time to hit refresh to see a -4 vote tally before anyone could have possibly had the time to actually READ the submission (much less the cited sources) then something is going on.

[edit on 3/20/2005 by Gools]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It´s better, cause it´s more democratic, because of the voting system.

Much to my regret that conservative people don´t like that.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'd like for the bias and grammatical suspensions until correction to be more specific so that they can be fixed properly. Right now, you can't even respond to it and say 'i don't understand, what should I fix?" Perhaps it would be helpful to send the offending passage or a short description along with the ATSNN notice?
[quote[dacruz
Much to my regret that conservative people don´t like that.
Actually, the only complaining I have seen has been from non-conservatives, when their article gets voted 'no' and becomes an 'other events' posting. But we're not supposed to haphardardly and ignorantly throw around meaningless and incorrect political accusations no?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
also I think it would be helpful to have a 'submissions' forum, ie a link where all submissions can be viewed so that you can go thru them and vote on them.

I find it strange also that a submission will hav 60 or so 'views', a number of responses, and only a few votes. I try to allways vote one way or another when I see a submission.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
also I think it would be helpful to have a 'submissions' forum, ie a link where all submissions can be viewed so that you can go thru them and vote on them.

I find it strange also that a submission will hav 60 or so 'views', a number of responses, and only a few votes. I try to allways vote one way or another when I see a submission.

I second the motion for a seperate forum for submissions.

Concerning the large number of views and low number of votes, I think you'll find that most readers are voting, but if as many are voting 'yes' as 'no', the tally will stay about the same. As for the issue of organized groups of "nay-voters", I'm still on the fence with regards to that one.

[edit on 2005/3/20 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

I also believe that there are some organised groups voting in blocks. When you submit a story and only have time to hit refresh to see a -4 vote tally before anyone could have possibly had the time to actually READ the submission (much less the cited sources) then something is going on.
[edit on 3/20/2005 by Gools]

I am glad someone else other then me has also noticed this. I also noted that in one case an individual more or less pimped the story saying it would fail so voted +1 which in effect changed the minus vote of -6 to a plus 18 in a matter of minutes.

Mods might I suggest a rule be inserted stating the submitter is not allowed to reply to a topic until it is either approved or denied. That might be a good starting point. I know I know use the suggestion button, however at times I think the mods are busy doing more important work.

Just my nickels worth

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of what ATSNN has become because I feel some of the stories themselves should not be here. Sometimes I will give a negative vote if I feel the story has little to do with what I believe ATS to be about. Science/Tech/Military/Politics stories fit in well, but the story a few days back about someone I'd never heard of being aquitted of murder.....well, yes it's news, but it doesn't belong on a conspiracy website. Maybe others vote like me. It also is frustrating when I look at the 'latest 75' posts and it is filled with what I believe to be uninteresting news stories. If I want news I'll go to a news website.

ATSNN is a good idea but the wheat needs to be seperated from the chaff a bit more rigorously in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Irma,

No matter what is done, some are not going to be fans.

You just cant please everyone, everyone has there own way and we all think our way is the best. That being said, you have to look at the system's freindlyness and "is everyone being heard"?

It is your prerogative to give a negiative vote if you think it dosent apply, because you and me the members make ATS what it is.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
i liked ATS reporters tag under members names, can we have that back?

i like the new system, but it does have its problems. But, i shall be writting more articles for ATSNN on selected subjects etc

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
i liked ATS reporters tag under members names, can we have that back?

i like the new system, but it does have its problems. But, i shall be writting more articles for ATSNN on selected subjects etc

Yeah ATSNN Reporter tags should come back. I have said so before and I'll say it again, they allow people to reconize the guys who can get thier stuff up immediatly. It's more important than before IMO, add another level of transparency.

I still believe that ATSNN would be better suited as a Wiki format. I'm not saying we should copy wikipedia, but maybe we could apply portions of thier methodolgy to ATSNN, and still keep the ATS flavour.

I have no Idea wether the ATS servers could handle such an endevor but it would be rather interesting to try wouldn't it?

en.wikinews.org...

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Expect some additional changes and refinements soon.

The changes will help us focus a bit more on the kind of news that should be reported on a news portal associated wth ATS, as well as provide a new means to recognize and highlight the better submissions.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join