It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Street Smarts” is a racially charged phrase?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I don’t apply the term “street smarts” to minorities at all. To me the term indicates the ability to continuously, quickly and accurately assess a situation or your whereabouts and respond appropriately. A “street smart” person isn’t easily misdirected or taken advantage of.

A person who grew up in a small midwest town where everyone knows everyone and where the majority of the town keeps their doors unlocked...might or might not have developed “street smarts”.

a reply to: Thecakeisalie

edit on 29-6-2020 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: Buvvy

Right? I couldn't care less if it's offensive. My freedom won't be taken from me.

You have the freedom to say whatever comes to mind
The issue is, you don't have immunity from consequences..some may think you are a jerk, some companies might not want to deal with the controversy and let you go, etc.
But government won't be kicking down your door and arrest you for saying things (outside of threats and the like).

Incidentally, I think street smarts is a perfectly fine phrase to use...most of the people I grew up with had plenty of street smarts...it is not a skintone thing, its if anything a social understanding of less polite society.

The youngins are bored and looking for a cause...since there isn't any big monster to slay for their generation, they are making one. You think Gen z is bad...wait for the next ones...every generation needs a focal point to rebel to feel they are making a change...right now its nitpicking...what happens when there is no nit to pick. Hell, I am starting to miss the Millennials at this point

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is crazy. It’s such an inoffensive term.

The first I heard this phrase was on a TV show describing Lord Alan Sugar (rich white dude in Britain) who grew up on the streets of London selling fish off the back of a truck. His “street smarts” got him where he is today (apparently).

How this could be construed as racist demonstrates nothing more than just how meaningless the word “racist” has really become. It’s just a reactionary term used to shut down people and dialogue.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: rickymouse

I always thought street smart was the same as common sense.

And also why I said he never should have called that bimbo smart.

Common sense, Wisdom, and IQ are the same thing, except, IQ is figured in compliance with what the people writing the tests believe is relevant.

posted on Jun, 29 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

What about Street Race? That could become another complicated scenario.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The movie "once upon a time in New York" Wich takes place at the turn of the last century...back then I'd imagine there were less blacks in the expensive cities.

The movie epitomizes street smarts to a T.
edit on 30-6-2020 by Mailman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
A sidelong glance is a microaggression.
Therefore you deserve a severe beatdown.
What I'm seeing right now is an excess amount of street 'stupid' going on.
No doubt this was a racist comment full of hate.
good luck finding my employer.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: LSU2018

Most of us grew up in a time that if something offended us, we sucked it up and let it roll off of our shoulders.

Who's to say if that was right or wrong?
That's not the world the young want to grow up in apparently.
And lets face it, once us old people die this will be their world.

It's our job to make sure they don't grow up in the destructive world this is becoming.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

You're not wrong... I saw this meme posted somewhere on here recently and it rings true. To that end, I hope these weak times lead to strong men once again.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I never saw street smarts as a phrase describing intelligence.. i think it's used more to describe experience.
You can be completely illiterate or have an IQ of 65, but still have street smarts.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Whatcis this?... What urge do you have?
Are we race deviding people based in how they're living?
A racial devide between the poor and the rich?
... The tone skincolor didn't work guys... Ans since we must be racist... Now we're deviding you into a poor race and a rich race.

Cut that stupidity please.
Please do.
It's not a racial thing to be 'streat smart'.
It just means you're a learner based on life experience.

Now please, pretty please... With sugar... Whipped cream and a cherry... Stop.
Your will to somehow devide people up in races... It will not happen anymore.
Stop it.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Fight Club 2 will end with all of the Madness Stream Media buildings coming down.

posted on Jul, 2 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   
black black black white white white
for God's sake you are American first yes no
so why do black people yell and call others racist when they are throwing the Black word around
is it they don't like being Black subconsciously
I am neither Black nor White I am an Australian by birth and that is all I need to be I don't need to be under the banner of White Australian or Black Australians
and yes I have friends who are Aboriginals and Asian etc and we all classify our selves with being Australian first every thing else is not the forefront.
And Australian people always unite together because thats what is most important.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join